• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I'm new and just purchased this pistol for home protection and eventually carry, maybe. I've watched many videos on it and it's gotten great reviews. I personally feel it's too small and am already thinking of upgrading to something compact yet bigger than the shield. I also regret getting a 380 as finding ammo is about impossible. What would be a good step up from this particular gun? Prefer 9mm. Thanks!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Finding any ammo is pretty hard.

I love my LCPII and it is with me almost always. If I was to go to a 9mm, I probably would seriously check out the XDE 3.3in.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm new and just purchased this pistol for home protection and eventually carry, maybe. I've watched many videos on it and it's gotten great reviews. I personally feel it's too small and am already thinking of upgrading to something compact yet bigger than the shield. I also regret getting a 380 as finding ammo is about impossible. What would be a good step up from this particular gun? Prefer 9mm. Thanks!

Ammo availability will be an issue with anything right now. So, that is a tough one.

If you are looking for something that is easily attainable, reliable, durable, and for which you can easily source parts, consider the Beretta 92. It has decent capacity, is relatively soft shooting, and components and accessories are ubiquitous. The one downside I see for you is that it's size would be somewhat prohibitive in a concealed carry role. But, you could look at the compact.

Will be interested to see what others advise.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's not too small. With good ammo, it's will do the job IF you do your part. My dad has both the .380 and 9mm versions of the EZ. They are great pistols.

As for ammo, I'd see if you can find Black Hills ammo Honey Badger. It's a non-expanding self defense round.

I know you said in the other thread that you are getting some training. That is what you need. In a self defense situation, software (knowing what to do and being able to do it) is far more important than hardware (gun, caliber, sight system etc). As long as you can deploy your gear, hit what you need to hit with it and know when to do so, 9mm/40/45/10mm/380/357/etc will not mean much. Handguns suck at stopping someone right now. Period. Multiple shots on target in quick succession is best.

If your up for it, I'd be happy to meet you and go over the basics and point you in the right direction. You are already getting some training and that's awesome. Just send me a PM if you want.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Welcome.

My recommendations are: Glock 19, S&W M&P 2.0 Compact, Sig P320.

All 3 are reasonably priced, hold 15 rounds of 9mm, would serve well for home defense or carry and holster selection is abundant.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It's not too small. With good ammo, it's will do the job IF you do your part. My dad has both the .380 and 9mm versions of the EZ. They are great pistols.

As for ammo, I'd see if you can find Black Hills ammo Honey Badger. It's a non-expanding self defense round.

I know you said in the other thread that you are getting some training. That is what you need. In a self defense situation, software (knowing what to do and being able to do it) is far more important than hardware (gun, caliber, sight system etc). As long as you can deploy your gear, hit what you need to hit with it and know when to do so, 9mm/40/45/10mm/380/357/etc will not mean much. Handguns suck at stopping someone right now. Period. Multiple shots on target in quick succession is best.

If your up for it, I'd be happy to meet you and go over the basics and point you in the right direction. You are already getting some training and that's awesome. Just send me a PM if you want.

Alright, I will admit that I was embarrassed when i read this. BT is 100% right.

Asking a bunch of gun-guys/gals any version of "what kind of gun should I consider for..." is going to lead to a bunch of well-intended folks with competing ideas about their favorite weapons, pointing you in all directions.

Focus on the basics, and for heaven's sake take BT up on his offer.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

As written earlier finding ammo is difficult right now no matter what the caliber.

You should definitely take Bigtanker up on his offer and continue to train.

Learn to use the gun you have to the best of your ability. If you decide to get another gun take your time and explore the options carefully. Make sure that you shoot any gun that you are considering for a self defense gun before buying. You have a gun that is functional for self defense, so there is no rush to get something different.

If you decide to get another gun - do not sell or trade the EZ .380 right away. Make sure you have no further need of it. I know that that might it it financially more difficult to purchase another gun, but think of how much the EZ would cost in a year if you regret getting rid of it. If you get something that is larger you will have times come up when you wish for something easier to conceal. There may also be times when you want the easier operation of the EZ.

If home defense is your main concern you might think about a long gun to supplement your pistol rather than replacing it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd stick with the EZ in .380. It's a big enough pistol to run. Recoil will be less than a 9mm. That will help some with possible flinching. I have, well my son has, a full size M&P 22 pistol that's about perfect for the basics.

Learn the basics, then move up to a different pistol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And if you just don't want the 380 if you like the EZ, just get the 9 mm version that others have suggested.

That said I spent the last 5 years going through handguns like Doddg. (some know what I'm talking about, lol). I have finally settled on a M&P 2.0 Compact. I am very happy. But if I was going to do it all over again, I would have purchased a Glock 19 on day one and invested my time and energy into training and practice. Or better yet I would still have my M&P which was the first pistol I bought. Too much emphasis and internet conversations focus on how the gun fits your hand, blah, blah, blah. When you are new, you don't really know how it's supposed to feel.

If you can reach the trigger and get your hand around it and it doesn't pinch or pound you anywhere while shooting, you will be fine. Chasing down that "perfect" gun for you is futile. Make whatever you buy "perfect" for you.

Of all the pistols I tried, only one actually hurt to shoot and that was the CZ P10C. Other than that, the rest would have been fine.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    And if you just don't want the 380 if you like the EZ, just get the 9 mm version that others have suggested.

That said I spent the last 5 years going through handguns like Doddg. (some know what I'm talking about, lol). I have finally settled on a M&P 2.0 Compact. I am very happy. But if I was going to do it all over again, I would have purchased a Glock 19 on day one and invested my time and energy into training and practice. Or better yet I would still have my M&P which was the first pistol I bought. Too much emphasis and internet conversations focus on how the gun fits your hand, blah, blah, blah. When you are new, you don't really know how it's supposed to feel.

If you can reach the trigger and get your hand around it and it doesn't pinch or pound you anywhere while shooting, you will be fine. Chasing down that "perfect" gun for you is futile. Make whatever you buy "perfect" for you.

Of all the pistols I tried, only one actually hurt to shoot and that was the CZ P10C. Other than that, the rest would have been fine.

You! Out of here with that crazy talk!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

This right here is 100% right and perfect advice from Bigtanker.
    Train with what you have for now and then consider another gun. Before you know it you'll be like the rest of us and have multiple guns in different calibers for different dress occasions. :):
    All ammo at this time is nearly impossible to find. 3 million new gun owners along with riots etc. has created the worst ammo shortage I have ever seen.

Top Bottom