Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 96D Pennsylvania State Police

User Info Menu

Beretta 96D Pennsylvania State Police

Good morning guys and gals,

For those of you who haven't seen my post about my Delaware State Police S&W 681, I collect police-marked pistols. From time to time I like to share them with others.

The Pennsylvania State Police adopted the Beretta 96D in the nineties. From what I have read they served the troopers well. When I first bought this handgun I anticipated that it was going to be a lousy shooter since it is double action only. Boy was I wrong: it is a really nice shooter. DAO firearms were popular amongst the law enforcement community, at the time a lot of officers were transitioning from revolvers and dao semiautomatics made the transition easier for them.

Beretta, Sig, and S&W came out with DAO variants of their DA/SA pistols. I have shot all three. I like the Beretta the best: the Smith does not have a second strike capability (it operates just like a striker fired handgun) and the Sig's trigger pull is too long and heavy.

This little honey was acquired from the used gun guys who always set up at the Indy 1500. They are one of my favorite vendors, you never know what you can find.

User Info Menu

Marksman

User Info Menu

Nice, very nice!
    Never ascribe to malice or conspiracy, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or incompetence...

not a shill account

User Info Menu

Very cool! I've wanted one for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBeerman View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that this may become part of someones sig line?

User Info Menu

That is an interesting and cool gun!
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

User Info Menu

Interesting gun, a 96D was my most accurate .40 S&W.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The US Border Patrol also issued the DAO Beretta 96 but in Brigadier version around 1996 until they went to HK P2000 LEM around 2002 ish. Worked very well for them. The standard issue gun for the Federal Bureau of Prisons from 2000 until recently was the 92D Vertec format. The only issues with the Vertec I encountered running the range was the Vertecs had poly triggers that went dead in the training guns a lot. Other than that quirk they were good guns overall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    The US Border Patrol also issued the DAO Beretta 96 but in Brigadier version around 1996 until they went to HK P2000 LEM around 2002 ish. Worked very well for them. The standard issue gun for the Federal Bureau of Prisons from 2000 until recently was the 92D Vertec format. The only issues with the Vertec I encountered running the range was the Vertecs had poly triggers that went dead in the training guns a lot. Other than that quirk they were good guns overall.
    Thanks for the info.

Did the Border Patrol or the Federal Bureau of Prisons ever mark their handguns? Which facility did you work at ?

User Info Menu

Ohio State Police a long time ago used the Beretta 92D finished in a matte nickel.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodandgutsmurphy View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Did the Border Patrol or the Federal Bureau of Prisons ever mark their handguns? Which facility did you work at ?
    I just retired out of USP Terre Haute but traveled everywhere. BOP guns have no Agency markings. The only assigned firearms was SORT which used SIG 228s but same with no Agency specific markings.

The BP or Customs Beretta and HKs I have seen during several Lead Firearms recerts at FLETC, I don't recall markings but can't 100% say Other than BP advance stuff Customs is the only ones at Glynco as BP other than advanced has moved elsewhere for the last several years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast