• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    GunWriters have messed up alot of things over the years but with gun buyers supporting the market for compact 9MM in aluminum frames they missed the mark. Granted if you carry, dream about carrying, Peacock Carry (open), and don't shoot alot at the range, then go for it. However, anyone that wants to put thousands of rounds through their piece needs all steel to go the distance. If it is too heavy then stay home and watch Springer. Just my opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK peoples. Just a thought and possibly a question. I have see an aluminum frame carrying a steel slide fail after being ran like a G**** religiously. I have seen 2 others show sings of eminent failure from the same use.

If you have one of these how much do you.....in reality....actually run it. And I mean run it.
    Personally I will pass on this design.

I am also no fan of Polymer but I am :oldwise: so I can offer up no realistic arguments against it. I just am not a fan. Unlike aluminum I might trust the current crop of plastic.

Steel is real. It is heavy. It may need more attention over its life and may not. Pick your poison. Live with the choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    the DW Vigil has an aluminum frame

So does the SA CCO I believe. I may have that wrong but I have seen a few of those with scared runners from use and running crap ammo.
    Aluminum is soft compared to steel.
    Now I can not argue the plastic side of this as I have zero experience in that arena save for the fact the slide to frame has a greater clearance/sloppy by comparison.
    I have owned and will not own another lightweight.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I remember back in the day reading Wiley Clapp and a few others who urged for lighter commanders and SA Ruger’s. Zinc and aluminum was the answer they came up with. You drink it.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    GunWriters have messed up alot of things over the years but with gun buyers supporting the market for compact 9MM in aluminum frames they missed the mark. Granted if you carry, dream about carrying, Peacock Carry (open), and don't shoot alot at the range, then go for it. However, anyone that wants to put thousands of rounds through their piece needs all steel to go the distance. If it is too heavy then stay home and watch Springer. Just my opinion.
    I’m not a Metallurgist so please forgive me but could this be how it’s cast/made? The process in which one takes that other do not? Are some aluminum alloy guns like Sig, Springfield, made better than lower end companies that do not have the consumer following?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am trying to figure out what opinion the OP is trying to convey? Is he saying avoid lightweight commanders? 9mm 1911s? Is he referring to other aluminum 9mm pistols?

If he is saying that he prefers steel 1911s over their lightweight counterparts because he feels it benefits longevity of the frame. He would rather give up the weight advantage for sturdy construction. OK sure, don’t disagree.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    So does the SA CCO I believe. I may have that wrong but I have seen a few of those with scared runners from use and running crap ammo.
    Aluminum is soft compared to steel.
    Now I can not argue the plastic side of this as I have zero experience in that arena save for the fact the slide to frame has a greater clearance/sloppy by comparison.
    I have owned and will not own another lightweight.

I run quality ammo and I'll admit it will take me a lot of years to get to a point of high-mileage round-count on the Vigil but I do like to run it hard sometimes so I'll just have to keep a close eye on my frame

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All I can add is that yesterday I was out shooting a revolver that is almost 140 years old. Fired a few cylinders and then cleaned it up and put it away. Someday maybe we'll be able to say that about polymer or aluminum, but today is not that day.:)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    UeZeVm0h.jpg

Steel slide and frame, but striker fired an in 9mm. I do agree aluminum especially for high round count guns is definitely not my first choice. But then again I work in metallurgy.

Top Bottom