• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    [FONT=&amp]I'm looking for a little help here on my 1956 S&W K38. I've tired researching this and I'm having trouble with two questions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It seems the nickel version of this pistol is fairly rare so I'm having trouble pricing it. Does anyone have any guidance on this? It's is pretty good shape and mechanically solid. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I'm also trying to confirm if the grip on the pistol of stock factory original or S&W aftermarket. I don't think they are, but haven't been able to confirm this. From what I've been able to tell, the combat style grips are fairly sought after.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I appreciate any help I can get.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    lyPJFap.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    sVEQBkA.jpg
    [/FONT]

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I can't tell from the pics, but if both grip panels are as nice as the right, probably the grips would bring $200 on eBay. They look like real S&W combats, but later than the gun.

The nickel looks like there are places it's rusted through, lots of marks, I'd guess maybe $400 for the gun with cheap grips, $500 with the combats. If you're trying to get the most $$$ eBay the grips, sometimes they go high.

Really good pics would help with guessing the value.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very nice looking S&W, but I agree with the consensus here that they are aftermarket. Best of luck selling it, older guns are doing well on GB.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Love the old S&W Revolvers and the 1st Gen semi-autos

This is my K38 and I believe it is a 1956 manufacture date

IMG_1637.jpg

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    indyjohn I've not contacted S&W yet...seems they will want a little money before they will send a letter. Not knowing what I have I didn't want to require the letter until I had a better understanding.

've determined that the diamond grips pictured by 12many was the set that was on this pistol out the door.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    As others have mentioned, the Square Butt Combats are not original to the gun, but very desirable.

Yours likely shipped with diamond Magna stocks, but a letter would tell for sure. If you post the serial [feel free to hide last digits] a close date can be found.

You will also want to verify that it’s a factory nickel gun, as those had an “N” stamp on the cylinder and frame under the grips.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I thought I would share my findings. This looks to me to be refinished in nickel, but man they did a good job. Pictures don't do it justice. It's obvious now that these grips weren't on it out the door considering all the good feedback. Any chance anyone knows what the T means on the frame stamp? Agree? Thoughts?

fHKqjxb.jpg

MholTFx.jpg

NT6oopm.jpg

3hv9B7W.jpg

HxrNzbk.jpg

cSqh3yg.jpg

xlsWyIb.jpg

rWuFTve.jpg

GGYXc30.jpg

Last edited:

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    If that’s an aftermarket nickel finish, it’s one of the best I’ve seen. The roll marks are very crisp.

If you push the ejector rod, sometimes there are factory markings under the star.

There don’t appear to be any obvious factory re-work marks either.

Gorgeous gun.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    indyjohn I've not contacted S&W yet...seems they will want a little money before they will send a letter. Not knowing what I have I didn't want to require the letter until I had a better understanding.

've determined that the diamond grips pictured by 12many was the set that was on this pistol out the door.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

That is true, S&W wanted a fee to go look in the archives for the record. I was happy to pay for it as it came back from Europe with my dad in 1945.

Top Bottom