Is it my imagination? Or are people trending away from .45acp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It seems to me that the past couple of years there have been a lot of .45acp guns come to market.
    It reminds of when everyone "dumped" their .40's.

Is this the result of more rounds on board with 9mm and .40?
    Or finally everyone has figured out that .40's and 9mm just flat out, out preform .45acp?
    Or is it the minimalist crowd, that only wants/needs a couple of handguns, and .45 just doesn't fit the bill anymore?

What says INGO?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Not me.

And for the record, this: "Or finally everyone has figured out that .40's and 9mm just flat out, out preform .45acp?" is a broad personal opinion. It is not a fact.
    There so many threads here dealing with this exact issue.

>80% of my EDC time is with my .45. I have more .45ACP weapons than any other caliber and that will not be changing any time soon. Those are facts.

That said, your assumption that people are trending away from 45ACP, may be correct.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Everyone ran to the 9 when 9mm was cheap and mag capacities kept getting bigger. Back when a decent size mag for 9 was 15 to 17 rounds, the 9 didn’t bring much to the table but with 19 to 21 round mags becoming relatively common in 9, the capacity gap widened. While bullet technology floated all boats equally, it’s not the same with capacity. For a carry size gun, .45 and .40 capacity is still sitting near where it was 15 years ago.

I do wonder if we see a new ban on anything over 10 rounds if we’ll see some move back to the bigger calibers as the benefit of 9mm capacity disappears in a 10 round world.

On the other hand, if ammo availability continues to suck, it could be that 9mm stays strong due to the lighter recoil allowing lower round count shooters to handle guns with more competence.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    At the moment, I think you're seeing a combination of
    - .45 ACP is more expensive (than others, and than it used to be)
    - There's LOTS of existing firearms in .45 ACP
    - more folks need cash in hand at the moment, so there's more sellers

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In addition to the things above, most of the internet experts were telling us that there is no difference in 9mm and .45.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I let my only 45 acp go after picking up a 10mm. I will likely buy another 45 at some point since I have reloading components and handloaded ammo in that caliber. Gotta say I do like the 10mm as much or more than the 45.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think a lot of that has to do with ammo price, larger round costs more money. I reload and cast, 45 ACP is an easy round to work with.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It seems to me that the past couple of years there have been a lot of .45acp guns come to market.
    It reminds of when everyone "dumped" their .40's.

Is this the result of more rounds on board with 9mm and .40?
    Or finally everyone has figured out that .40's and 9mm just flat out, out preform .45acp?
    Or is it the minimalist crowd, that only wants/needs a couple of handguns, and .45 just doesn't fit the bill anymore?

What says INGO?

9mm = German Compromise
    40 = Marketing Scheme

45 = the real deal

imho of course.

love, peaches, kisses, peace namaste

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't see folks getting rid of their 45's. But I have a very small sample set to poll. I sold mine a long time ago because I am a minimalist and wanted to reduce the number of calibers I own/load for.

If I could swap out my .38/.357's for 9's, I'd probably consider it just to reduce me down to just one caliber.

Plus, I'm German.:)

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've slowed way down on Firearm purchases, not much I want (or want and can find or afford).
    That being said, if S&W releases the 45acp 2.0 compact in the 3.6" barrel, I'm all over that, especially since I have given up on any VP45.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Most of my handguns are 9mm. I've only got 2 40s and 2 45s. More just to have a couple of non-9mm options than anything else. I could really do without the 40s and 45s, they don't do much of anything better than my 9mm guns for defensive purposes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Everyone ran to the 9 when 9mm was cheap and mag capacities kept getting bigger. Back when a decent size mag for 9 was 15 to 17 rounds, the 9 didn’t bring much to the table but with 19 to 21 round mags becoming relatively common in 9, the capacity gap widened. While bullet technology floated all boats equally, it’s not the same with capacity. For a carry size gun, .45 and .40 capacity is still sitting near where it was 15 years ago.

I do wonder if we see a new ban on anything over 10 rounds if we’ll see some move back to the bigger calibers as the benefit of 9mm capacity disappears in a 10 round world.

On the other hand, if ammo availability continues to suck, it could be that 9mm stays strong due to the lighter recoil allowing lower round count shooters to handle guns with more competence.

My 1911 holds 28 rounds of 45 acp. Is that not enough? ;)

XieEAnU.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 9mm (lady's round) for CKW to run in her CZ's.
    I have .45 ACP on my hip. Puleeeese dont tell me how "Cheap" it is to run 9mm. I could give 2 :poop:'s and I hate that word almost as much as the word "Racist"
    I have 10mm for those times when nothing else works.....:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have 9mm (lady's round) for CKW to run in her CZ's.
    I have .45 ACP on my hip. Puleeeese dont tell me how "Cheap" it is to run 9mm. I could give 2 :poop:'s and I hate that word almost as much as the word "Racist"
    I have 10mm for those times when nothing else works.....:):

personally, I don’t see anything cheap about the shooting sports. Even with so called “cheap” 9 mm “lady rounds” I can still spend $50 just during a regular range visit on my own.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Most of the so called experts agree that handgun calibers don't stop people, accurate fire does. That being said 9 does allow quicker follow up shots and in normal times it's cheaper to practice with. LOTS of new owners in the market and 45s are generally a little bigger pistol so it doesn't fit as many people. Just my layman's :twocents:

Top Bottom