• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Who has experience with 9mm revolvers? I’m debating on an sp101 or maybe throwing down some serious cash for the snubby 986. The other option is the PC 686 snubby and forego the 9mm altogether. If you have experience with both I’d love some feedback.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    It would be for carry. I tore some ligaments in my thumb last year which has resulted in making it harder to shoot an auto. Revolvers are the easiest for me to get a proper grip and shoot pain free. I figured a snubby with a little weight would be the ticket.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Try before you purchase you may not like the recoil. A lot of people complain about 38 special recoil in a small frame revolver 9mm is worse.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Smith and Wesson 986 variant but I am not particularly a fan of 9mm revolvers. Nothing wrong - just not my just of tea.

Personally, I'd go with a SW 686/K-frame variant that meets your unstated needs. 38 and 357. The world needs no other pistol calibers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If I was going to EDC a revolver, it would be a 3" Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum. This gives you a range of options in power, from light 38 wadcutter loads to hot 357s. I have not owned a revolver in a semiauto caliber, but don't really see the point unless caliber consolidation is your main goal. I've read that revolvers chambered in semiauto calibers are more prone to bullet pull, since semiauto casings do not have crimps like revolver casings. YMMV, but I don't see an advantage to 9mm in a revolver.

Given a hand injury, it would be more important to tailor your load to your comfort level, and that is a a lot easier with 38/357 than with 9mm. Also, a 158 grain full wadcutter is soft shooting and would make a decent low-recoil defensive option that has no equal in 9mm loads.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I was just leaning toward 9mm because I have a lot. The recoil isn’t really an issue in a revolver. The problem is from scar tissue built up on the top first knuckle of my thumb where the tears pulled back to. It’s in a place that when I shoot an auto it seems to eat the recoil and just sucks for me. Been shooting a 4” sp101 without any issues but it’s not easy to carry.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    How do you prefer to carry, and what makes the SP-101 difficult to carry? That info will make it easier to suggest a good option for you.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I prefer appendix carry. The sp101 shoots great but the 4” bbl is a bit much. A 3” sp101 is nice but I like the capacity of the 7 shot 986 and 686 PC guns over the 5 shot ruger.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I have a K frame and hated it until I put some Hogue finger grips on it. The grips really made a difference. I was always a semi auto guy, and got it as an inheritance. Now I just pick it up and hold it for no reason at all.. And it just makes me smile each time I look at it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It would be for carry. I tore some ligaments in my thumb last year which has resulted in making it harder to shoot an auto. Revolvers are the easiest for me to get a proper grip and shoot pain free. I figured a snubby with a little weight would be the ticket.

If recoil is an issue, then maybe consider a Ruger SP101 in 9mm as it is somewhat heavier which helps to absorb felt-recoil a bit better!
    I have a 3" version...and it's accurate as heck!
    It has a pinned-in front sight, which can be replaced with a tritium front sight from either Meprolight or XS Sights.
    And a set of Hogue rubber grips made it feel like a completely different gun!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Considering you're thinking about carrying it, the titanium cylinder of the S&W 986 is a huge deal. It handles just like the cylinder isn't even there, really changes the feel. However, this is not a small gun! You may want to handle one, or at least a compact 686 to see if that's really a size you're comfortable with. Even with titanium cylinder, the 986 is ~5oz or 20% heavier than an sp101 with the same length barrel. And i consider the SP101 kind of chonky for a snub!

Having said that, the only advantage to 9mm in a revolver is ammo availability for you. Elsewise, 357 is better in every way.

Edited to add: In general, snub-revolvers have sucky triggers. (In General) Especially stock. The next size up, the k-frame and L-frame are a big improvement, especially with a little polish. I'm told snubby triggers Can be improved, but the bigger guns are very easy to improve. Trigger quality/feel could be a huge issue if you already know you have hand problems. Make sure you visit a gun store that will let you dry fire. With a center-fire revolver, it's 110% safe for the gun.

Last edited:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Its not a 9mm but I love my SW Model 327 N frame. 2" barrel and 8 rounds of 357 or 38sp. Garrett Holsters make a nice leather lined Kydex IWB holster for it. I find myself grabbing it more and more these days since I bought the Garrett holster for it.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Didn't know the Rock Island AL9.0 existed until stumbling across this video, like to see one in person.

[video=youtube;PlThPqWFeLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlThPqWFeLQ&t=394s[/video]

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Interesting new Rock Island! Their standard revolvers are made in the Philippians and are "budget" guns.

The new model is made in the Chzeck republic. Some quality guns come from that area.... MSRP is $599 on GalleryofGuns, but obviously it's out of stock.

The video review said "smaller than a k-frame" a couple times. If that's true, that should be a handy little 6-shooter!

Top Bottom