• ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hey guys,
    Ive got a opossum that needs to be gone. Does anyone know if the 20 grain 22 Colibri (the ones without powder, just a primer and bullet) is enough to put down these guys? I need to keep noise down.
    ETA: I’d be using a handgun of course.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You think a short is quiet enough for a neighborhood? Out of a 24” barrel?

It's about the same as an air rifle in my experience.

I'm pretty sure mine is 24".

But the range/drop is pretty dramatic compared to standard velocity 22lr from same rifle.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That might be a better choice. I just need to be as quiet as possible

One shot, one kill.

Somebody might hear the first shot but not really be sure what it was, especially with everyone's windows closed for winter. They will listen carefully for the sound again and might recognize a second shot. They might also look around so don't stand over your prey with a gun in your hand. Wait a few minutes and go out later to admire your kill and skin it for Thanksgiving dinner.

I think my quiet 22 ammo is CCI which took care of my groundhog. With the low grain it is easy to not make the second shot because it sometimes doesn't have enough power to cycle the action.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I live in th city and have a big ass racoon hanging around the house. I'm considering using my crossbow to take him down.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I have used the CCI CB Long on coons and possums, they will do the job, and very quiet in a rifle. But, possums have very small brains, and it's easy to miss the brain. Best way I have found with Mr. Possum is get him in the back of the head, trying to go from the back of his head toward the end of his nose. Sometimes take a small stick and tap him on the nose, let him bite the stick, then you can pop him in the back of the head while you hold his head facing away from the gun. If you have hard soled shoes on you can step on his head, then grab his back legs or tail and jerk upwards, breaks his neck. Have I said how much I hate them little baskerds?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well, I got busted trying to walk past the wife with the 39. She freaked out when I told her my plan.
    I took mr grey to the back edge of the property and released him into the woods. That way I won’t have my wife’s sad eyes looking at me all evening .
    I did although go ahead and fire one shot to see how loud it was. Probably good that I did because if I had to take more than one shot it very possibly would have been enough to get attention from the local po po
    i think that’s the only .22 short I’ve ever fired .

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Relocation of those guys is probably best though. They actually do a TON of good. If it's a trash panda, by all means. :thumbsup:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    One of the biggest is that they eat ticks and are immune to Lyme disease so they can't carry it. Estimated that a single one can consume up to 5,000 ticks a year.

They've also been studied and have helped create antivenoms for Humans against scorpions and snakes since they're immune to those as well.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    One of the biggest is that they eat ticks and are immune to Lyme disease so they can't carry it. Estimated that a single one can consume up to 5,000 ticks a year.

They've also been studied and have helped create antivenoms for Humans against scorpions and snakes since they're immune to those as well.

Exactly, when I found out about the ticks I put them on my no shoot list. Trash pandas still get relocated to TP heaven.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That might be a better choice. I just need to be as quiet as possible

I just test-fired an Aguila Super Colibri (20 grain, but it's the same size as 22lr) subsonic out of what is probably a 26" barrel out in my back yard a couple of days ago and it was quieter than my pellet gun by about half. It says it's 590 fps.

This is it:

a1BLwnb.jpg

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    CCI 22 cb headshot. They are tough critters.

I use 22 CB's in my lever action and the sound of jacking the lever is louder than the round going off.

Unfortunately, it might take more than one round to do a possum. Hate it when the poor mangy good for nuthin ba$$dards suffer.

Top Bottom