Vintage Bullseye 1911 possible Bob Day.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Hi,
    I found this older built bullseye 1911 and was researching it as to the maker. It is unmarked except for the single line colt mark on the ejection side, and a number (I think a military stock number) on the opposite of the slide.
    From the serial number it is 1918 production frame.
    The pistol has not been refinished, frame is still blued and the inside points to original finish. The slide has heavy parkerizing like a replacement slide should.
    The rail and electrodot are fairly vintage, the mount is marked Clark custom on it.
    VEEEEEEEry light trigger.. really rough stippling, and the lack of refinish are all hallmarks to a Bob Day... he just cared that it shot tight and not a lot about finish, and the stippling looks like his style as well, he used a air chisel with a pointed bit to do it.
    I know it's not slick looking like the new stuff, but I really like the way this looks.
    I know I might not ever be able to 100% know who made it, but the use of mostly military parts and the style it was built, I'm leaning to Day's work pretty heavy.

Z0KoP2X.jpg

k4DsiAU.jpg

8bUK4ZL.jpg

VRSedpb.jpg

odauDL7.jpg

lklLi2c.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    How’s it shoot? Still a tack driver?? It’s cool to learn about the history of a classic piece like that.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I havent shot it yet, but it looks like it will still be good.. I don't want to beat it to death with ball rounds, I figure most of these were tuned for 185 swc, and i just have to get few loaded up. then we shall see.. but it will shoot better than i can hold it..lol.
    Also, like usual with these the grip safety is pinned. I have read that these were to be loaded with the trigger depressed so the disconnect would prevent the hammer from falling.. so that's what i'll do and i hope i remember it..lol.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I havent shot it yet, but it looks like it will still be good.. I don't want to beat it to death with ball rounds, I figure most of these were tuned for 185 swc, and i just have to get few loaded up. then we shall see.. but it will shoot better than i can hold it..lol.
    Also, like usual with these the grip safety is pinned. I have read that these were to be loaded with the trigger depressed so the disconnect would prevent the hammer from falling.. so that's what i'll do and i hope i remember it..lol.

My buddy still holds the trigger down when he drops the slide on his bullseye 1911. It works well for him.

I was surprised that you said it has such a light trigger. In bullseye, minimum trigger pull is 3.5 pounds. I guess the most recent use was for more informal target shooting and not registered bullseye matches. I did that to my BE 1911, since I now use a 625 revolver for matches.

Nice pistol. Most of my bullseye guns have Ultradot sights. They work great. Enjoy.

Top Bottom