• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    9mm.jpg Inked9mm 2_LI.jpg

Still cleaning out stuff from my father-in-laws estate, I realized that there is over 1500 rounds of factory 9mm ammo. I didn't have a 9mm, so I picked this one up today. Rock Island GI model, (matches my GI .45). $419 new, I also grabbed a set of Hogue grips, and 3 spare mags. Brought it home, field stripped it, cleaned it and rubbed in a light coat of Breakfree. Tomorrow is going to be a good day at the range!

:)

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Nice. Don't own a Rock Island personally but in my limited experience shooting other peoples', in different calibers from .380 on up to 10mm, they've been a joy to shoot. And I've seen a fair number of threads and posts dedicated to Rock Island 1911's here, so should be plenty of info out there if you need it

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At the risk of being "that guy", one gun is cool and all, but if you sold the 9mm at today's prices you probably could have bought two guns in a caliber you do have.

sgthud

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Fishers
    Be one of two guys...sell the ammo and buy two guns or buy a gun for all the ammo and have lots of fun! Sounds like a win-win situation to me! Just don't tell the wife...mine would have me sell the ammo and buy her something.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    At the risk of being "that guy", one gun is cool and all, but if you sold the 9mm at today's prices you probably could have bought two guns in a caliber you do have.

I was thinking similar actually, especially if loaded up on the primary caliber. If not well then this may not have been a bad way to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 94048 View attachment 94049

Still cleaning out stuff from my father-in-laws estate, I realized that there is over 1500 rounds of factory 9mm ammo. I didn't have a 9mm, so I picked this one up today. Rock Island GI model, (matches my GI .45). $419 new, I also grabbed a set of Hogue grips, and 3 spare mags. Brought it home, field stripped it, cleaned it and rubbed in a light coat of Breakfree. Tomorrow is going to be a good day at the range!

Sell nothing. Keep it all. Do not listen to those guys. Keep it. You will thank me later.

Last edited:

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Good Score, learn the 1911 platform! You got a great price on your RIA 9mm, and after a break in at the range , i'm sure it will provide security when you need it. Good starter package, and you can practice while others are basking in expense!
    This guns and ammo crunch will lighten up a little, and a 1911 isn't a bad investment. I think your mags hold 9 rounds, and 1 in the chamber makes 10. Not shabby at all. Good luck.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I wouldn't mind knowing where you got it for that price. It might make a nice present for someone I know.

Does anyone know if the RI guns are made at the same plant as the Desert Eagle 1911? The DE pistols are pretty darn nice imo & are on my "buy one someday" list. RI, DE, Karh are all under the same ownership group.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    View attachment 94048 View attachment 94049

The sacrifices one makes in accommodating the needs of family!
    Sorry for your family's loss...
    Congrats on the new RI GI in 9mm...
    Hope it serves you well for many years to come!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new 1911. A 9mm 1911 is fun and has almost no recoil. They also make a great gun to introduce new shooters to the beauty of the 1911 platform.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    RIA makes a good pistol for the money.
    Have a hoot of a time shooting the 9mm platform ala 1911. I regret selling my 1911 in 9mm. It shot very well for the modest investment. Mine was the ultra shorty version. Been eyeballing the model with the rounds visible like the old Devel series.

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    I have a Rock Island GI .45 that I have carried for almost 10 years, and have shot more than 10,000 rounds out of it. No complaints!

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Range day was great as expected (isn't any range day good?), 200 rounds down the tube, 200 holes in the target right where I wanted them to go. The mags hold 10 rounds, so ammo moves through fairly quickly!
    I have almost 40 years of experience with the 1911 platform in .45, so the 9mm was an easy transition. The .45 will still be my carry piece. I showed the 9 to my wife last night, she looked at it and said "Isn't that your 45?", no dear, this is my new 9mm, "Cool!". So, I got her approval!
    My kids will like the 9mm.
    I have a sufficient supply of ammo and reloading supplies for all of my firearms (I already have 9mm dies and a supply of small pistol primers), definitely enough to weather this shortage, so I felt no rush to sell any of the estate stuff, the rest of his supply was calibers I already have.
    I found this at Plainfield Shooting Supplies, I believe it was their last one.

Top Bottom