• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    She is moving into an apartment complex in TN. She is a fairly experienced shooter, but doesn’t own a firearm of her own. I got her this for Christmas. Fairly inexpensive, and should work fine. Yeah I know it is a Taurus, but I have had good luck with them in the past. 357/.38 should do.

Attachments

• 823FABA0-7EF7-4363-82AC-77A2B6AD924A.jpg
      823FABA0-7EF7-4363-82AC-77A2B6AD924A.jpg
      140 KB · Views: 29

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is she going to be carrying this, or is it strictly for home defense?

I ask because if she isn't going to be carrying it then it doesn't need to be small. A full sized gun will be much more pleasant to shoot and practice with. Experienced or not, I doubt she will enjoy shooting a revolver that small. If she doesn't enjoy shooting it she won't practice with it.

Good on you OP for being willing to get her the tools to protect herself, but small revolvers are generally (not always) difficult for novice or casual shooters to get good with, particularity those who are not used to recoil.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Snubbies can be difficult to get competent with. Small, lightweight means heavy felt recoil, slower follow-up shots and short sight radius + long double action pull means accuracy beyond bad breath distance can be tough. A decent amount of work should be put in before it's considered "THE" self defense gun. So some training with it really should be considered.

I'll echo what MC said above. If it's not a carry gun, something bigger is a far better choice.

I understand the choices right now are very limited. As is ammo. Maybe see if you can find a S&W Shield. Those are a little bigger but much more user friendly.

Dry fire training with whatever she ends up with will help tremendously. Congrats on helping her out and getting her started.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Always gotta be somebody that says you screwed up, gezz.

Eh, it's not the worst choice, but certainly not the best. It's a 605 Polymer Protector, which weighs 20 oz., so recoil shouldn't be too bad with mild 38 loads. The fiber optic sight is a plus. So is the full length grip. I'd have gone with something a bit bigger for strictly a home defense gun, steel frame and at least a 3" barrel. But a 20 oz. gun lends itself to occasional concealed/purse carry more easily. At least it's not one of those hand-busting airweights with boot grips.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I don't have any issues with it. Simple to operate, and even in .38 a solid SD round.
    Everything shoots better with practice. With some snap caps she can spend all day dry firing it.
    Even a larger revolver or semi auto handgun takes practice. No one shoots well without it.

357Slinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Sellersburg
    She is moving into an apartment complex in TN. She is a fairly experienced shooter, but doesn’t own a firearm of her own. I got her this for Christmas. Fairly inexpensive, and should work fine. Yeah I know it is a Taurus, but I have had good luck with them in the past. 357/.38 should do.

I don't know what a "fairly experienced shooter" is, but she really needs to practice with that piece and use some of the SD ammo that she will be carrying. That could be a handful for even an experienced shooter when you touch off a 38 +P or a.357 round.

Kudos to you for getting her the "equipment".

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had a stainless Taurus 617 for years. My buddy finally talked me out of it. I really liked the small 7 shot 357 magnum. I miss it. Never had a problem with it had over 2,000 rds of 357 magnum through it mostly reloads. After around 1200rd it got really smooth.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    :popcorn: Wonderful gesture and better than a stun gun.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Top Bottom