• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    This is only my 3rd handgun, so I am not sure how qualified I am to give a review, but I have to say the gun looks very nice. I'll put some pics up later, but you can see it for yourself on Springfield's website. The finish, and looks are not near as nice as my Kimber, but for a polymer framed handgun I am quite happy (and you can't fit 16+1 in a 1911). I'll let you know how it shoots if I can get a break while moving this weekend.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cool

Post your review when you get a chance. it looks interesting, I want to see more how accurate, how it holds up over time and how it compares to the XD line.

What other guns do you have. If you can compare them to that that might help others as well.

Also don't forget the pics. Everyone loves pics!

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    So what made you want to buy this new model? What were you looking for?

This is only my 3rd handgun, so I am not sure how qualified I am to give a review, but I have to say the gun looks very nice. I'll put some pics up later, but you can see it for yourself on Springfield's website. The finish, and looks are not near as nice as my Kimber, but for a polymer framed handgun I am quite happy (and you can't fit 16+1 in a 1911). I'll let you know how it shoots if I can get a break while moving this weekend.

Scam1789

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    So what made you want to buy this new model? What were you looking for?

Higher capacity than my 1911 was a big selling point. It is the only polymer framed pistol I have held that I like the way it points. Despite what a lot of the XD people were complaining about, I really like the new grip. The improved trigger pull, and match grade barrel are fantastic upgrades with no significant price jump. I love the grip safety, and with all the accessories it comes with, I felt like it was a pretty good deal.

Also as soon as I held it, everyone in the store (Plainfield Shooting Supply) had to see it. It was the first one they had, and the only one they had in stock and the first day it had been on the shelf. One customer even thanked me for buying it so he wouldn't spend the money.

cashman213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I just bought the first one here in town. Going to go out later today. As of now I like the feel of the grip just fine. Different than the XD, but I think in adverse environment this is going to be easier to hold onto. Holy cow!!! 16+1 in this package is impressive! I was kicking around the idea of buying another XD in 40 SW and then heard about this new series. As of now I'm glad I waited! Match grade barrel, field strip is a snap (no dry fire like the XD), better sights too. Love it! I am a Springfield Armory guy and huge XD fan, so I may be biased on my impression of this gun. I have heard a lot of XD people slamming it, but my opinion is this is a completely different gun. Will post again after I take it out. That's where the rubber meets the road...

Scam1789

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    I put 100 rounds through it this week, and it did a great job. However, my slide is really starting to wear at the front from rubbing on the holster already, and I have only carried it in the SA supplied holster. After only owning the gun for 2 weeks, I am very unimpressed with the finish. I am going to e-mail Springfield right away.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I put 100 rounds through it this week, and it did a great job. However, my slide is really starting to wear at the front from rubbing on the holster already, and I have only carried it in the SA supplied holster. After only owning the gun for 2 weeks, I am very unimpressed with the finish. I am going to e-mail Springfield right away.

Seems that even the plastic bore brush scratches most of the them in transit.

SA has a horrible track record on the finishes it applies to first run guns. One of the reasons I'm not jumping at getting one right now. Also the 40s&w does nothing for me. If the offer one in 10mm I'd jump on it however.

I'm sticking to my bi tone XD9 as my carry gun for now. I am looking forward to actually hold one of the XDM's... I'd like to see how much wider the grip is from the XD9/40.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    From what I understand the grip isn't wider than the old models it's longer. Kinda like the XD .45 being longer rather than wider to hold more rounds.

cashman213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    D
    Did you try adjusting the set screw on the holster with the supplied hex key? It might be too tight.

Scam1789

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    D Did you try adjusting the set screw on the holster with the supplied hex key? It might be too tight.

It is loose as can be with out it flopping around when I walk. Plastic shouldn't scratch a metal finish regardless of tightness... not in a matter of 2 weeks.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    From what I understand the grip isn't wider than the old models it's longer. Kinda like the XD .45 being longer rather than wider to hold more rounds.

I'll have to check again. Here is my understanding of it.

Up until recently the .40 has always used the 9mm platform which prohibited true "double stack" of the larger sized 10mm rounds, most manufacturers still do this. From all my readings SA , (actually HS since SA just stamps their name on it) has fixed that by changing the platform to allow for true double stacking of the 40s&w round.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Not to be too nosy, but about how much did you pay for the XD-M? There is one at the local store with the stainless slide and they're asking $699 I think.

Scam1789

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    I believe it was $560... I wish I had gotten the stainless slide now. I just moved, so I haven't unpacked the camera yet... once I find it, I will throw up some pics :)

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I think I'll wait and see how they perform/last. Then I will pass judgement. I'm really liking them so far

Top Bottom