Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    STOP with the NecroThread revivals! If you don't have anything new to say, don't say anything at all.
    Technology has changed enough in 11 years that a revisit won't hurt.. 9MM is the cheapest to practice with and to get follow up shots on target with simply because it has less recoil. If you like something bigger to each his own. My personal feeling is that a properly placed shot a from a 9MM will dispatch anything on the continent.

IMHO the bottom line is, the pistol and caliber you are most accurate with should always be your preferred choice.

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

ďEgo is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in publicĒ

Aron Bright
    Any man can make mistakes but only and idiot persists in his error.. Cicero 200 BC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    STOP with the NecroThread revivals! If you don't have anything new to say, don't say anything at all.
    Who are you, my mother?

Plinker

User Info Menu

40 is dying but per, I like it so Iíve been able to get some really good deals on those guns. Picked up a Beretta Inox in .40 that was basically new year for $400.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cardsfan29315 View Post
    40 is dying but per, I like it so Iíve been able to get some really good deals on those guns. Picked up a Beretta Inox in .40 that was basically new year for $400.
    For people that don't mind 40, now is the best time ever to buy them and stock up on ammo. It seems like a lot of places are closing out their 40 handguns. Ammo can also easily be purchased for under 30 cents/round.

Plinker

User Info Menu

i stick to 9mm i dont have large hands and almost every handgun ive owned has been 9mm besides my 1911

im not a fan of the way 40 s&w recoils and i couldnt comfortably fit a 45 double stack weapon on me or in my hands and be able to operate it well one handed (if i get injured)

so i stick to 9mm for the majority of my handguns
    Last edited by mrrogers91; 02-15-2019 at 16:08.

Plinker

User Info Menu

The .40 is my go to. Sad to see it dying off, I think it's a great round. Well, they all are. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeagle4 View Post
    For people that don't mind 40, now is the best time ever to buy them and stock up on ammo. It seems like a lot of places are closing out their 40 handguns. Ammo can also easily be purchased for under 30 cents/round.
    I managed to pick up some for a lot less than that...
    IMO... .40 will never fully go away... there'll still be a market for it, but it won't be near the public market with law enforcement going away from it.
    Me, personally, I prefer .45 acp to .40 or 9mm...but have carried the other two on occasion.
    Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

User Info Menu

Ok, I usually stay out of these and linger, BUT the fact that all 3 are very very similar in results with good Hollow point loads im jumping in... Being the way I am, and planning my weapon systems around sharing calibers and following logic, I MUST assume that is the real SHTF, I may not be able to have tons of HP ammo, and Ball would then find its way into primary usage. (stack it deep)!. So...

>> Disclaimer: I am no expert, but a hapless enthusiast trying to blindly stumble my way to an answer in the same debate<<

Assumptions: Calibers are equal WITH modern HP ammo, you already have the option between the big 3 calibers - cost not being an issue, Accuracy and Followup shots roughly equal due to training, mostly self / home defense usage with battle field promotion for SHTF needs.

1) 9mm is best at capacity / weight etc.
    We all know this. Even a mouse gun can carry 7+ rounds and full size gets close to 18+ rounds. Throw in a singular spare mags (we should all have one) and your toting 1/2 a box! The Ball vesion of the ammo leaves a little to be desired in damage.

2) 45acp is better than 9mm when ball ammo is used (bigger hole). 45acp is heavier than 9mm by about ~30%. 45acp reduced your on deck capacity to about 10 at best. (striker / poly / 1911 whatever)

3) then inherently 40sw fits a nice area. It does exactly what the FBI set out to find and do. It has increased power from the 9mm with better capacity than the 45acp being in a 9mm framed firearm. Sure with modern HP loads it may even be surpassed a little or matched by 9mm, but when put into a SHTF scenario, and ball ammo becomes a real situation for primary ammo, then the 40sw may lose to the 45acp for hole size, but it beats it in capacity.

In this regard, to follow the training what you carry what your train logic, and your prep plans, it makes sense to not change guns once your HP ammo runs dry... this pushed the choice to 40sw being one of the more logical choices.

Perhaps we must address the situation from a different questions. It is not "what is Best?" but more so "what caliber will cover my arse in the greatest percentage of my needs?". I advise people all the time, make a list of what role you want to and expect your firear, to be used for. Use this list and check off the things that you feel each caliber will be better at Go with the most "filled" positions.

Essentially if your have to dump all of your stock and hold onto 1 handgun with 1 ammo can, what caliber would cover all your needs the best. Of course- once you've figured this out--- train to it.
    http://s6.postimg.org/q3wk2jfe9/Sulu_Shields.jpg

01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01000110 01101001 01110010 01110011 01110100 00101100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100100 01100101 01101101 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100110 01101111 01110010 01101101 01101001 01110100 01111001

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ashby koss View Post
    Perhaps we must address the situation from a different questions. It is not "what is Best?" but more so "what caliber will cover my arse in the greatest percentage of my needs?". I advise people all the time, make a list of what role you want to and expect your firear, to be used for. Use this list and check off the things that you feel each caliber will be better at Go with the most "filled" positions. Essentially if your have to dump all of your stock and hold onto 1 handgun with 1 ammo can, what caliber would cover all your needs the best. Of course- once you've figured this out--- train to it.
    Good point...and I have done the same with individuals who've asked me, 'Which the best handgun?'
    To which I tend to respond with questions rather than an answer and my first response question typically is, 'What is it that you want or expect it to do?'
    A conversation / discussion is always a great starting point...as is some range time to help them get a better 'feel' on what some of their options are!
    To each their own...but some actual 'hands-on' experience is an excellent aspect for good decision-making!
    Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

User Info Menu

As mentioned before shoot what you can handle.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast