• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Whichever one I can consistently put rounds in a fist sized hole with.

Honestly, Caliber debates are silly. Most modern rounds penetrate nearly the same amount. All of the handgun calibers suck. Use a rifle or a shotgun. ;)

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Whichever one I can consistently put rounds in a fist sized hole with.

Honestly, Caliber debates are silly. Most modern rounds penetrate nearly the same amount. All of the handgun calibers suck. Use a rifle or a shotgun. ;)
    :thumbsup:

Currently, I prefer 9mm. This is because I can carry more rounds with the same sized magazine as, say, a .45 (Glock 19 vs 30). Some will argue that with proper shot placement, you don't need 15+1. Proper shot placement, to me, should only be considered Plan A. If and when Plan A fails, Plan B calls for the rest of magazine. If Plan B fails and the threat is still not stopped/neutralized, Plan C calls for a mag change.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    They are all good.

I am usually armed with a 9MM or a .45 acp.

Sometimes a .40 S&W GLOCK will be riding along with me.

I feel fine with any of the three.

I don't own a .357 SIG firearm, or one chambered either for .38 Super or 10mm, but I would be okay with them as well........

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shoot what you shoot best. The more rounds on target in the shortest amount of time is best. Each of the rounds has its good and bad points. This is not a game. Find the gun that you can handle the best. Most are now available in various calibers. Try to use each.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What in your "opinion" is the best defensive handgun round?
    9mm

Inquiring minds want to know!:dunno:

Define "BEST" and then maybe we can begin to answer this in some reasonable fashion.

The 40 is ballistically similar to the 45 but comes at the expense of high chamber pressures and a sharp recoil that some find uncomfortable. 9mm is ballistically the weakest by any measure but as the advantage of being smaller and therefore can be packed in a small/light gun that is more easily carried. The 45 tosses a big heavy load at modest speeds and modest pressures and requires a larger gun than the 9 or 40, but none of the other calibers will punch a hole as big as the 45.

Each has advantages and disadvantages and circumstances may dictate the best round for the situation.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    What about 10mm? Good defense against two and four legged creatures!

I think .40 is a good option, especially for concealed carry guns. Almost as many rounds as 9mm with superior ballistics.

Again, how 'bout that 10mm!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Wouldn't it be safe to say that there is no "magic" or best round? Hitting something vital does seem to be the key. How many times do you hear of someone being shot 8 times and surviving, only to also hear of someone dying from one shot from a .22. There was a shooting down here in Evansville where the cops shot a guy 8 times (with .45s) and he made it. No vital organs hit.

dmaguire1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Indianapolis NE Side
    Fav Caliber

I favor the 40 for the simple fact that it has more take down power than a 9mm but you get the benefit of a lot of rounds. I think that was a good question to ask.

Shot placement is great but when your mind is stressed small things become much more difficult. I like whoever said plan A shot placement then plan B the rest of the magazine plan C a new mag.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    9mm and .45 cal have both been around for what? something like a hundred years obviously they both have something going for them. The 10mm and .40 cal not so long but I bet they still can get the job done. The .22 will work with the right shot placement.

Top Bottom