• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I know you guys are gonna hate me for posting this thread, but at least it'll be different from the other thousand with the absence of the striker-fired XD, Glock, or even SR9 suggestions. I am looking for a DA/SA compact (maybe even sub?) pistol. I'm not looking for pocket gun, mostly IWB. I'd like it to be 9mm, preferably DC only, but I can live with a safety.

The reason I am looking is because I have an IWB full-size and a pocket gun and I just kinda want something in between them. I don't mind going used. If you can post a normal price range for the pistol you suggest it would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Glockman1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    I'm not thrilled with the Croatia made XD; it hasn't been around long enough for one thing. An SR9 or Taurus might fit the bill.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not thrilled with the Croatia made XD; it hasn't been around long enough for one thing. An SR9 or Taurus might fit the bill.

Says a Glock man. Anyways it has been around since 1999. It first started as the HS2000. Before Springfield bought the rights to it, and put their name on it. I have not shot, but picked up an FN the other day. It has a hammer, with the ability to decock. Local shop has them for $538. I forget what the mag capacity was though. Also you may want to look at a Tarurs 24/7. If you do not mind spending a bit more, I would also reccomend a CZ. Sorry I have not priced one in a while. However, Acme Sports is seymour has the 24/7's for around $400.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    If cost isn't much of an issue, you could check out a HK USP 9c. Also, if you like 1911s you could look for a Springfield EMP in 9mm. The Taurus 24/7 isn't a bad shooter either.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    CZ makes compact offerings... Can get a brand new one for the same price as a used Sig or HK.

Someone else mentioned the Springfield EMP 1911... It's only Single Action. Still quite small, but not the type of action you're looking for.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    CZ makes compact offerings... Can get a brand new one for the same price as a used Sig or HK.
    While I am a huge fan of the CZ pistols, they don't really make a "compact" offering, their compact size frame is really very similar to a G19 or a Colt Commander. Take a look at this photo below. The compact G26 in the far lower right corner with a full size G17 above it. The compact CZ P01 variant in the lower center with a full size CZ above it. On the far left, for size comparison sake is a Ruger LCP (380acp) above a Detonics Combat Master (45acp).
    979b5b9e.jpg

Now look at this photo. A G26, a Taurus PT111 (both 9mm) compared to the compact Detonics Combat Master (45acp).
    fcc74d79.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Second the P239 and 3913 (although the latter has a decocking safety rather than a decocker only).

HK-P2000 or P2000SK in the Variant 3 (DA/SA w/ decocker) might be an option worth looking into, as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    While I am a huge fan of the CZ pistols, they don't really make a "compact" offering, their compact size frame is really very similar to a G19 or a Colt Commander. Take a look at this photo below. The compact G26 in the far lower right corner with a full size G17 above it. The compact CZ P01 variant in the lower center with a full size CZ above it. On the far left, for size comparison sake is a Ruger LCP (380acp) above a Detonics Combat Master (45acp).

Now look at this photo. A G26, a Taurus PT111 (both 9mm) compared to the compact Detonics Combat Master (45acp).

Deleted the photos for expediencey...

But I was thinking along the lines of the RAMI line of pistols. They're roughly G-19 size in length, but may be a tad shorter in the grip. They're almost certainly thicker and for sure heavier.

But to echo others, yes the Sig 239 IS a nice pistol... so are the S&W compact 9s, like the 3913 (Although, that particular model # might very well be DAO)

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Second the P239 and 3913 (although the latter has a decocking safety rather than a decocker only).

HK-P2000 or P2000SK in the Variant 3 (DA/SA w/ decocker) might be an option worth looking into, as well.

+1 on the HK-P2000SK, I've handled one and it felt great in my hand, very compact, good capacity. I think the backstraps are interchangeable???

Randy Divine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    So. IN
    Scott,

I've got the XD sub-compact 9mm. It shoots everything I feed it. I particularly like shooting a mild 105 gr semi-wadcutter during practice. I’ve had it about 2 years and paid around $400 new. Hope this helps.

RD

Glockman1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Of all these guns mentioned only the Taurus 24/7 is the only one you can get with a Titanium slide. Cost: $500. The Ruskey's make submarines out of titanium because its impervious to salt water.

Top Bottom