• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I might have chance to sell my NIB Ruger P-89 today at work. What I am looking for is a smaller framed, dependable 9mm that can be carried quite easily and concealed easily under loose clothing, jacket, etc.. I'm not looking to spend a bundle, somewhere around $500. What are my choices at that price range?

Has anyone had any experience with the Sig Sauer 2022?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The 2022 is a good gun, make sure you can handle one before purchase though, the grip can be a bit funky for some folks. It is accurate and dependable, essentially like any other sig, just poly framed instead of alloy.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    the S&W M&P compact or if you could find a SW99/Walther P99, both good what I would call mid sized,

really there's so many good choices out there its hard to go wrong

you need to define if your going to do anything more than carry it.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    The glocks are definitely a good choice...for 500 you have a great deal of choices. You could look into the Kahrs or Kel-tecs, both are compact.
    You could look at the New Taurus 9mm..can't remember the model number but a google search will show it. And then there are always the revolvers though I know you said 9mm...the aluminum alloy framed .38s are nice if you wanted a change.

Last edited:

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    Ruger SR9. It's thin and relatively light, if you don't want to go "too small".
    Conceals well in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Also big capacity (17+1).

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    If you're a bigger guy like me, you can conceal almost anything in an IWB holster under loose clothing or a jacket (IWB to prevent a full-size barrel from protruding below the bottom of the shirt/jacket), though this can be uncomfortable with fatter guns.

If you still need or want something a bit more compact, then Glock 19, USPc, and M&P 9c are good options.

Good luck! :)

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I would recommend a S&W 3913. I haven't shot one yet, but have held several. They feel good and appear to be of high quality. One of these days when I save up the money I'll add one to my collection. I've heard nothing but good as far as the fit and function of this gun in a thin, compact package. If you want to step up in cal. there is the 4013 which is also similar in size.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Had a 2022. I used for a HD gun, not a CCW. It's VERY bulky, in true Sig fashion with a high slide axis and large grip.

I went to a Kahr P45 for carry and absolutely could not be happier.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    I would recommend a S&W 3913. I haven't shot one yet, but have held several. They feel good and appear to be of high quality. One of these days when I save up the money I'll add one to my collection. I've heard nothing but good as far as the fit and function of this gun in a thin, compact package. If you want to step up in cal. there is the 4013 which is also similar in size.

I carry a S&W 908 daily. It is said to be the "budget 3913" because of a few plastic parts and it not being as nicely finished.. Not a pretty gun, but a working one! And that surely holds true in price (you can find most for less than $400), but not a sacrifice in quality. It's a slim gun with a single stack mag (8 + 1) and I have no problem concealing it. Definitely lighter and smaller than most Sig's. I'd classify it as a bigger compact gun in size. Feels good in the hand.
    Everyone I know who has shot it has loved it. It's an all around great quality gun.

:twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The glocks are definitely a good choice...for 500 you have a great deal of choices. You could look into the Kahrs or Kel-tecs, both are compact.
    You could look at the New Taurus 9mm..can't remember the model number but a google search will show it. And then there are always the revolvers though I know you said 9mm...the aluminum alloy framed .38s are nice if you wanted a change.

Taurus PT 709 Slim

Top Bottom