• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Still has to be comfortable. What good is a weapon if you bloody your hand whenever you shoot it?

There are several people out there, including Lauck and Camp, who believe that the beavertail is mandatory. I tend to fall in with that line of thinking.

To me, a "no-nonsense" carry gun doesn't have anything you don't need. By that I mean over wide extended safeties, match (read too light) trigger pulls, adjustable triggers, and the suicide switch, the extended slide release.

I have a Charles Daly that came with a wide paddle ambi safety, dovetailed sights (not saying their's necessarily anything wrong with dovetailed sights), extended thumb safety, drop in beavertail grip safety, the works.

I changed out half the stuff just to make it a carry gun.

Instead of using the budget-per-gun to make a decent carry pistol, they skimped on areas where they shouldn't have:

The safety was cheap and it snapped (bad, since I'm a lefty)

The front sight fell out of the dovetail while I was shooting

The window for the mag release was cut too low and had to be recut. The bottom of the release had to be soldered and filed back down so it wouldn't ride out under the slide.

Then I stripped it down to fix all this stuff and found the frame was warped from the factory.

By contrast, this "no-nonsense" carry gun is one that's a pleasure to shoot, but isn't all frilly. It's a basic milspec fitted with a beavertail and an ambi safety (which it wouldn't have except for my being left handed.)

It's getting a Commander hammer, then it's done.

Josh <><

Top Bottom