• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A Traveler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Guy,

I have read and read many past posts and I concluded that the Glock 19 is the fire arm of choice. Now I have to ask why(?) and why not another Glock?

I'll take my answer off the line, and hope as the week progresses, more and response will be produced.

Thank you all in advance.
    :cheers:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    as a recent Glock convert here's my reasoning:
    I chose the 19 due to it's size and magazine capacity.
    It's a nice compromise in size between the 26 and 17.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have a Glock 22 (.40 cal but same size as the 17) and at times it is tough to conceal. I'm a big guy (6'5" 300 lbs), so it is even harder for those smaller. The issue isn't normally barrel length, but grip length. I don't like the two fingered grip of the 26/27 models, so I would most likely add on the third finger mag extension for control. This effectively makes the grip a 19/23 length, without the extra ammo storage. So the 19/23 is the best compromise.

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    my 1st glock was a 19, and It got me hooked it is a very balanced size for a firearm. Easy enough to Conceal but large enough to shoot easily. That being said I now have went to a glock 26 for carry and give nothing up as far as range accuracy doing so. I do however shoot my G34 better than the 19 I do not own or ever have owned the 17 so I cant say for it. The magazine interchangability is great also, I carry a g26 with 19 mags as spares.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I'm a new G19 owner and I have to agree with the above posts. I liked the size (easy to conceal, but comfortable to shoot at the range), 15 round capacity, and caliber of course! I like 9mm!
    I think most people like the gun just because it's sort of the midsize in between the G17 and the subcompact 26.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Perhaps it's my own overcautiousness, if one can truly be overcautious when it comes to this subject, but personally, I like having that one extra step between me and "bang" that an external safety gives. I know a good holster will cover the trigger and prevent a ND, but I can't see myself carrying something that doesn't have either a safety or a heavy, long trigger pull. Would some of you Glock carriers give a bit of feedback on this, please? Thanks very much.

Blessings,
    B

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    IMO,

Its not only size and concealability but the weight too..... or lack of!!!

I have carried a Glock since 1988 and its the best carry pistol that I can find. I do carry my .45s also. But the 19 just seems to be the best fit in so many catagories. Not as much a compromise as other pistols seem to be.

I settled on 9mm and .45acp for my carry pistols. Still have .22lr, .44 rem mag and .357 mag..... dumped the .40, 10mm, .380s etc....

The 9mm will a good HP and placement will do the job.

You either hate or love the Glocks, but I too think the 19 is the best carry piece.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Perhaps it's my own overcautiousness, if one can truly be overcautious when it comes to this subject, but personally, I like having that one extra step between me and "bang" that an external safety gives. I know a good holster will cover the trigger and prevent a ND, but I can't see myself carrying something that doesn't have either a safety or a heavy, long trigger pull. Would some of you Glock carriers give a bit of feedback on this, please? Thanks very much.

Blessings,
    B

20 years carrying a Glock, never had an issue or concern. Like the old adage..... never rely on a safety. Sig P220 series have a decocker vs safety. Even my Beretta 92G has the decocker and no safety.

Like the line in BHDown..... heres my safety captain...... (flexing an index finger).

Just my :twocents:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Starting, all my training involves removing my finger from the trigger area when the sights come off the target. I do this when playing the shooting arcade games (Area 51, etc.) If something doesn't pull a Glock trigger, it won't go bang. Period. All "accidental" discharges I read about are people re holstering with a finger still inserted or otherwise snagging on something because of carelessness.

Now, I worry more about a gun that doesn't go bang when I pull the trigger. This can be caused by many factors, lack of reliability, a safety on that you forgot to or didn't quite disable, a grip safety that you aren't squeezing enough, or a mag that was dropped out in the scuffle. If I need it to go bang and it doesn't I could be in serious trouble. The Glock goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    • lightweight
    • not too big, not too small
    • will go 'bang' every time
    • high ammo capacity
    • 9mm is widely available and (comparitively) inexpensive
    • accessories and parts are very easy to find in stock
    • not prone to rusting
    • interchangability of Glock parts
    • very defensible in court
    • simple to operate under stress, and still very safe
    • easy to field strip and clean
    • consistant trigger pull
    • will still fire without a magazine
    • because it is, indeed, awesome

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well first it's a Glock, and then it's a 19, and also it's a Glock 19.
    The question is not why a G19, but why not a G19.
    I carry a G26 myself. :cheers:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had a G19 for a long time. Never had any complaints about it. I sold it with some other stuff to pay off some debt, and now a few years later am carrying a G30. I kinda like having .45 ACP as opposed to 9mm, but I can't rag on Glocks.

glock2619

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Why?

They are just a very nice compromise of size vs capacity. They fit great in the hand, shoot very well, carry even better. They are just an all around great gun.

Nobody should own more than 2.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    My choice is the glock 23 because it is the same size frame as the glock 19 but it has the heavier punch of the 40 s+w round. If you have the extra cash to spend, you might also consider the sig 239 as it is available in 9mm and 40 cal. also.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I just bought a brand new one today. Test fired 8/05/08.

I actually really like shooting the 17, but the 19 is great for carry, and besides; I just wanted one. :cheers:

Also; there is always that dark possibility that another AWB could neuter the 19 and similiar firearms; I have no use for a 10 round or less G19, nor do I wanna pay $90 to $100 for a pre-ban mag. Yes, they got that expensive before.

So I got the gun, and of course the two magazines that came with it, and have just ordered two more 19 magazines and two more for the GLOCK 17....................

Top Bottom