• Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Two things that somewhat concern me.
    First off.... what are those things that the grip screws screw into?
    it's connected to the frame.. i think they would be the grip bushings? but i am not sure... I took my grips off my Taurus to clean underneath them, and noticed three of them are missing, the upper left bushing thingy is present but the others aren't... however the screws all still screw in where they are supposed too... even with the other three missing. Do i need these or should i get replacements so not to ruin my gun?

also i noticed that the backstraps silver is worn off, it only really shows if you have it under bright light... what kind of stainless is this on the PT92's? It look stainless to me but a mix of bright chrome ish. also where could i go to get this kind of finish refinished to make it look the same if i decide to refinish it to make it look brand new?

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Well I do take the grips off to clean underneath the frame when i do detail strips, and i am just concerned being I didn't know if only having one bushing or whatever it's called could make the grips off balance or something. But I will say this, and please don't take this the wrong way. But if you don't have an actual answer, then please don't make any comments.

Also having the light on it, is what made me notice it, and I am only concerned about that, because I don't know if having the metal underneath the finish thats rubbed off, could gall or rust the gun or something from having my sweat get on it. So I am just asking if it's fine or if i should have it touched up or something.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Are you sure its stainless and not polished aluminum? I have an OLD Taurus and the frame is aluminum and the slide/barrel are nickle plated.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Are you talking about "washers" under the grip panels? Or actual threaded inserts? If it's small washers, it's likely just to prevent the grips from deforming slightly when you screw them down tight. Since you have the rubber Hogue grips, if that's the case I'd not worry about it at all.

I imagine the frame is Nickel plated. But Not being a Taurus, nor a Beretta 92 owner I couldn't tell you for sure.....

Tripps hard chrome seems to be pretty popular for people who want a stainless look, with an exceptionally hard finish.

Here's an HK P7M8 in Tripp's Hard Chrome
    p7m8-left-full-hi.jpg

That gun would have started out life with a standard Black Finis.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Before this degrades.... I'm going to cut if off at the pass and suggest we get back to discussing Finish, and whatever the things under his grip panels are.

:)

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Are you sure its stainless and not polished aluminum? I have an OLD Taurus and the frame is aluminum and the slide/barrel are nickle plated.

It looks nickel plated or i should say it looks polished, but the back strap and front strap has what looks like a black stain to it, somewhat and if you look at it with a bright light or outdoors you can see like grey ish metal? I am assuming thats just the actual metal under the finish?

and as for the grip thingy's I am pretty sure they are the screw inserts you spoke of...the one i haven't lost has like a thread inside of it, to where you can tell the screw goes into it.

Top Bottom