• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Both! :thumbsup:

I don't have a white light on my main carry gun(s), but carry a separate handheld. I do have white lights mounted on the house gun(s), AND have immediate access to a handheld or two in the same location.

Train in both techniques, and use whichever is appropriate to your situation. Even if you have a weapon-mounted light, there are times when a handheld comes in... well, handy. ;)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've considered this a lot, and even had some great feedback regarding lights with a question I posted last week about home defense. As of now, I use both. My pistol has a tactical light on it but I also keep a separate light upstairs with me next to the bed. If I've got to look for my family, pointing my loaded gun at them might not be the best choice.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have one on my HD gun, but I don't consider it to be THAT much of an advantage.

As for pointing a loaded gun at your family members, you are using it wrong. Use reflective light to navigate. i.e. point the gun at the ground at an angle (as you probably should be doing anyways) and shine the light on the floor. In a dark room/house, the light reflecting off the ground should be enough to navigate and even possibly identify potential threats. Only raise the gun and blast them in the eyes with the light when you know it is a BG.

There is something to be said about being able to use the light in the other hand though. Especially in terms of destraction/misdirection. i.e. if the BG wants to shoot at the light, if you have the light in the opposite hand and out and away from your body it may help you avoid being shot.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    There is something to be said about being able to use the light in the other hand though. Especially in terms of destraction/misdirection. i.e. if the BG wants to shoot at the light, if you have the light in the opposite hand and out and away from your body it may help you avoid being shot.

I haven't mounted a weapon light yet, and this is something I always thought about. If I knew someone was shooting at me, I'd be shooting at the light.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Both here as well. When I go to bed I snap my light onto my G19 and set it next to my Inova Xo on the nightstand.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I posed this very question over on TFL yesterday. More traffic here than there about it!

Hi, folks. A bit of a flashaholic here. Been thru several Surefires but have pared them down to just a few E2E, a couple of G2Ls mounted on a Bushmaster M4gery and shotgun, and an A2 Aviator. Much more of a Fenix fan lately with an EDC of a P2D RB100 and a L0D Q4 – occasional use of a T1 and a P3D Q5.

So… I like lights! I’ve got several around and always one in the pocket. (Typically one with a max avail output of 180 – 215 lumens!) Still, I’m thinking of going with a rail light on one of the home guns. Likely the G30 or even more so, the G19. I’m not even slightly interested in a rail light on one of my carry guns due to my perception of bulk. I’m kinda sensitive to CCW size and usually limit urban carry to a P3AT or the 642 J frame.

Anyway, a rail light. Here is what concerns me. Yes, I’ve got one of the AR so I’m familiar with the concept in passing. Still, if I’m checking on a “bump in the night,” it is typically with one of the Glocks. I’m married with a 4 and 7 year old. With the kids in the house, I’ve got to be doubly careful about muzzle sweep when checking out a noise. I would like a rail light due to perceived convenience and one-hand manageability in home but what about muzzle sweep? How do you illuminate the environment without pointing the business end of a firearm at “things you’re not prepared to shoot?”

Maybe I’m having a dumb attack and am missing something. I think I would like a rail light for limited duty but it’s one thing to illuminate my wife or kid with light while a pistol is in a muzzle down / ready position – it is another to illuminate them while also pointing the muzzle of a firearm at them.

Help me out… should I stick to my status quo of a weak hand torch?
    Thanks for the feedback to the OP. Ambient but not direct light for in-home use. I may still give the Insight M3 a try. They've got 'em on sale locally for $79.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Great subject! Ive been considering a laser/light combo like the X2 for 159$ should work on any of my 4 handguns i think? Any one use one of these or anything like this?

Go with a bigger light (at least 6V) if you can, and skip the laser. My $.02.

I may still give the Insight M3 a try. They've got 'em on sale locally for $79.

Where's "locally"? At that price, I'd spring for another one...

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    now rhino, have you had your medicine? turn the lights on, what an idea.
    i'm just making fun, but it really could be a good idea. a hand held light or a weapon mounted light tends to give away your specific location. general house lighting might not. if your lights in the whole house came on all at once, it may be enough to run off an amateur. that being said, i have a tlr1 on my house pistol and a 9v pelican on my ar. plus 2 hand held lights, cell phone and spare mags for all in a bag by the bed. hit the lights, grab the gun and throw the bag over my shoulder. good to go.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    At home there is also the option of turning the lights "on," but that's just more of my crazy talk.

:lmfao:

Not too long ago I heard (or read) a story about clearing a movie theater. They were searching for a while with weapon-mounted and hand -held lights until they realized that they could just turn the lights on. :lmfao: I think the source was either Sheriff Campbell, Jay Tuttle, or Brent Wheat; I could be entirely wrong though.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    At home there is also the option of turning the lights "on," but that's just more of my crazy talk.

Funny but true. That being said, some houses don't have a light switch that turns on lighting in large areas like the living room. I would rather use my weapon or hand light than fumble for a lamp switch and end up knocking it over anyways.

Either case, take what is availible to you and use it to your advantage.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i have played with both, and personally prefer on gun. if for nothing else just the control of both hands. its kinda like driving, with both hands on the wheel you SHOULD be better.

and i don't have a second surefire, a maglite is too cumbersome

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer a hand-held. If you are in an enviroment that requires a light, the you might have an encounter from somewher other thant in front. A good flashlight makes a good impact weapon in case you are visited from the weak side. My wife keeps a 3 C-cell Mag light next to the bed. It can light up someones world or put their lights out. And she usually hits her target. That's why I'm polite and let her go first.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    :dunno:
    Kimberwlight.jpg

:n00b:

Top Bottom