• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been considering picking up a snubbie for a carry gun - probably not an EDC but for situations where I can't deal with having a large auto on my hip.

I'm interested in your carrying method, practical accuracy, .38vs.357mag, favorite format, etc. Since this isn't going to be a safe queen, I'm looking at Taurus - not considering Charter right now. I'm on the line between a shrouded hammer and a concealed hammer DAO. Anyone have experience to share? I'm not quite ready to embrace the polymer revolvers yet, so let's not take it down that road.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    My Ruger LCR goes everywhere with me, but the S&W Centennials are good too. Mine has the Crimson Trace laser grips, and I would feel my skill is adequate to deal with any situation out to 15-20 yards. I carry in either a RKBA pocket holster, a Don Hume JIT belt slide, or a Renegdae Cozy Partner ankle holster depending on the weather. I carry Speer Gold Dot 135 grain SB JHP in it with ten more in Bianchi Speed Strips in my pocket.

Most days I also carry a Springfield XD9, but if the LCR is primary, I also carry a Kel-tec P3AT.

I prefer an enclosed hammer. I used to carry a S&W 649 Bodyguard until one day a dime slipped inside and blocked the hammer.

Last edited:

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :+1: On the (LCR) Ruger Lightweight Carry pistol.

I've had mine for going on six month now and carry it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster in my weak side front pocket while I have my primary G33 at 1:00 AIWB.

I do switch the LCR to my strong side front pocket if my Glock is not along.

TK :ingo:

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I've been thinking about the same thing. I'd especially like to hear people's thoughts on ankle holsters.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been carrying a S&W J frame in a Galco ankle glove daily for going on 10 years. Just replaced my first ankle glove earlier this week with a new one. 9.5 years for a holster worn daily isn't too bad in my opinion. The ankle glove is very comfortable and I've run at a dead sprint more times than I can count while wearing it and it's never comes loose.

Although expensive, both the S&W 342 (titanium .38) and the S&W 340 M&P (Scandium .357) that I have carry like a dream due to their light weight. They're not necessarily fun to shoot but should I ever need to shoot them that won't be of much concern.

Ankle carry may not be everyone's first choice but at times that is my only option. Frequently my ankle gun serves as a backup. These revolvers carry pretty well inside a pocket holster depending on your choice of clothing.

Ankle carry will result in a lot of dust and lint in your revolver so you will want to be sure to clean it weekly. Other than that it's a great option in my opinion. You generally don't have the concerns about malfunctions with revolvers like you do with pistols. That's not to say that they are superior to pistols but they do have their advantages.

If ankle carry isn't your cup of tea, a J frame carries pretty nicely in the front of the pants off to the strong side of center. I have a Raven ACR for mine that I use from time to time as well. When you can't conceal your pistol you can almost always find a place to tuck a J frame. Toss a Bianchi stripper clip in your pocket and you've got 11 rounds with you in a very small package.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I have a S&W 442 that I carry when I don't want to carry anything bigger.

It works well in a pocket holster in a jacket pocket of the front pocket of cargo pants.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I carry a S$W 386 Sc/S Scandium frame stainless cylinder 2" 7shot. Usually cross draw in a simply rugged pancake. Works well for me. I weighed the 386 and my mdle 60 5 shot 3" stainless and found they weighed the same so I still carry the 386. Picked up a Ruger Speed six the other day.When I weighed it it was heavier than my Smith's. Unless you think concealement will be an issue I would go for the .357. You can shoot .38's out of it if you want. If you go with the .357 you may want to consider carrying hollow points. It will give a little less worry about over penatration and expand nicely.:twocents:.

I love my wheel guns and don't leave home without at least one of them.

Had a Taurus 617 Total Titanium 7 shot 2". Very snappy, trigger not as good as my 386 and couldn't shoot bullets less than 125gr. It was lighter than my 386 and accessories were almost non-existant, not that there are a lot of accessories for revolvers to begin with.

Others who have shot my 386 are amazed at the accuracy from the snubbie. I have not tried shooting it for accuracy rather than "hits" at defensive ranges. Single or double action it does what I need it to do.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    S&W 340PD

Carry a couple of different ways depending on the day and environment.

Pocket - Desantis pocket nemesis holster in the front jeans pocket or coat pocket.

Belt - Galco leather paddle holster - works better in the car than the front pocket carry.

Speed strip left front.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I carry my S&W 642 about 90% of the time that I carry a firearm.

I need to invest in a couple of better belts (And better fitting pants?) before I carry my M&Pc more. It's a BIG change in weight going from an airweight J-frame to a M&P!

-J-

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 mag. I carry it in a Galco dao owb, I only carry it when I'm fishing or or camping, but I don't really think thats what your OP is about.:D

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    My typical EDC is a G27, but like you, sometimes that doesn't always fit the bill. I often revert to a S&W Airweight .38 snubby. Prior to picking that up, a Charter Arms Undercover was my choice. Either of those on my ankle is the alternate to my G27. I do however highly recommend the lighter version of whatever you choose, i.e., airweight, airlight, etc. It makes a huge difference in comfort.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I've been carrying a S&W J frame in a Galco ankle glove almost daily for going on a little over a year. ... The ankle glove is very comfortable and I've run at a dead sprint more times than I can count while wearing it and it's never comes loose.

Ankle carry may not be everyone's first choice but at times that is my only option. Frequently my ankle gun serves as a backup. These revolvers carry pretty well inside a pocket holster depending on your choice of clothing.

Ankle carry will result in a lot of dust and lint in your revolver so you will want to be sure to clean it weekly. Other than that it's a great option in my opinion. You generally don't have the concerns about malfunctions with revolvers like you do with pistols. That's not to say that they are superior to pistols but they do have their advantages.

If ankle carry isn't your cup of tea, a J frame carries pretty nicely in the front of the pants off to the strong side of center. I have a big pocket for mine that I use for quick trips to the drivethru or gas station. When you can't conceal your pistol you can almost always find a place to tuck a J frame. Toss a pair of HKS speedloaders in your pocket and you've got 15 rounds with you in a very small package.
    ^^Pretend I said all that.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I carry a SP101 (wish it were hammerless, but oh well).

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I carry a S&W 340SC, the thing I like the most is the fact I can carry and practise with .357mag/.38spc+P and it only weights 11.4oz. for some people a few oz doesn't make a difference but to me it does, Im very happy with my 340SC.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Also, I forgot to mention...and another post reminded me. I am not a fan of the hammerless options. I love the look and feel of them, but from a practical standpoint, I found that with my ankle holster there was nothing the strap could wrap around to secure the pistol within the ankle holster. With the hammered option, the strap fits as usual between the grip and hammer, keeping it in place with no issues walking or running.

Just another thought.....

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Also, I forgot to mention...and another post reminded me. I am not a fan of the hammerless options. I love the look and feel of them, but from a practical standpoint, I found that with my ankle holster there was nothing the strap could wrap around to secure the pistol within the ankle holster. With the hammered option, the strap fits as usual between the grip and hammer, keeping it in place with no issues walking or running.

Just another thought.....
    I've never had a single problem with my 642 being loose in my Ankle Glove. I did have to tighten the tension screw once, but other than that the holster holds with significant force.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I've never had a single problem with my 642 being loose in my Ankle Glove. I did have to tighten the tension screw once, but other than that the holster holds with significant force.

Understood. I know it has a lot to do with holster type, etc, just relaying my personal experience. I have no experience with the Ankle Glove, but have been hearing some good things about them. Might have to check it out!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom