• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    OK, all I read on this site is GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK and GLOCK. The first handgun I ever shot was an old gov 1911 .45. I was in the Marines and this gun was piece of crap but I was able to qualify expert with it. Then the M9 came into service and I shot better scores with it. I shot good enough to get on the rifle and pistol team and I have carried my M9 ever since. Just recently went to MP40c for more comfort and concellment during the sumertime. It doesn't fit my hand they way I would prefer but its fun to shoot. I will be honest I have never shot a GLOCK. I have held them but it only made me want to pick up my M9. I know I am weird but I love my M9. But you can teach this old new tricks.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wouldn't say everyone needs a Glock, but I would say everyone needs a reliable pistol.

For me, that happened to be a Glock. It's light for concealed carry, high capacity, durable, easy to work on, and is a good buy at ~$500.

If you want to shoot one, go ahead and try it out!

In my experience, only two pistols rank with the Glocks - Sigs and HKs, both of which are more expensive.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Two words = Springfield XD 2 more words = F*C* Glock

Intelligent post,

I know a lot of people on here love the XDs, but they're just alright in my opinion - I didn't have any issues with the ones I owned, but at the range I have seen many fail.

Seemed like if the mags got dirty/dropped on the ground a couple times, it was done.

The sights are a pain to change + Last time I checked, Springfield will only sell a limited amount of parts to XD owners.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I did a lot of research when I got my Glock. I got one for the following reasons.

1. I like the internal safety. Something about a "decocker" just didn't feel good to me.

2. Light weight

3. Easy to clean (yes I DO clean mine)

4. Reliability. Appears to be the weapon of choice for many police departments.

5. "Lifetime" warranty.

6. Black stealthy look. Pretty much disappears when I am wearing my black dress shirt.

Just my opinion.

Shoot on!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    To me it comes down to the simplicity. With a 3/32" punch and a pair of pliers, you can completely strip a Glock. They have been around enough that parts are plentiful. They have fewer parts to fail than almost any other firearm. The go bang every time. If we ever got into a firearms scarcity, a few cheap spare parts would keep a Glock running for years and years.

The downsides:

For some the grip is too big and their hand is twisted to get on the trigger, affecting accuracy. The SF (short frame) models try to address this.

Shooting cheap led bullets through a Glock can build up lead in the barrel, increase pressures and possibly cause a kaboom. I've shot tons of lead through my Glock, but only hard lead and with high weight and low velocity. And only after checking the barrel periodically to determin leading for the first time taking a particular bullet out shooting. Aftermarket rifled barrels eliminate this issue.

Glocks used to get trashed for being a Polymer pistol, but now everyone has seen the logic in that and come out with their own. Many are much more complicated. Glock is like an AK. Basic gun needs and works all the time, even if you haven't cleaned it in a year.

You shouldn't feel pressured to buy a Glock. You should try all the pistols you can and decide what you like the best. Then you should shoot enough of the ammo that you will put in it for defensive use to be confident in the weapon. For me that is 200 rounds of general target ammo and at least 50 rounds of carry ammo, with NO PROBLEMS.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Intelligent post,

I know a lot of people on here love the XDs, but they're just alright in my opinion - I didn't have any issues with the ones I owned, but at the range I have seen many fail.

Seemed like if the mags got dirty/dropped on the ground a couple times, it was done.

The sights are a pain to change + Last time I checked, Springfield will only sell a limited amount of parts to XD owners.
    Yeah it takes all kinds

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You dont need a glock. I hate shooting glacks, i hate the way the feel, hate the way they look, ect.

You need a handgun you like, that you are comfortable with, that is reliable, that meets your needs, ect.

For me, I love SIGs. I like the decocker and having a DA/SA handgun. SIG also offers SA only, DA only, and a DAK trigger options. I also want to try out a HK sometime. I love the way they feel also, just want to see how they shoot.

You would be fine with any of the following

glocks
    xd (also like those for around a $500 new)
    SIG
    HK
    1911's
    ect.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Because you want a high capacity 10mm for less than $500? That is the only reason that I bought my Glock 20.

Overall it is a nice gun, but I am still a 1911 man at heart. But you know what they say about diversity.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    The only compelling reason I can find to own a Glock is so you can gave a gun when you take a shower.

WOW you learn something everyday... I didn't know that Rhinos showered.

On a more serious note, find what works for you best whether is a Glock, HK, SIG or some form of a 1911 (or any other manufacturer).

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    OK, all I read on this site is GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK and GLOCK..........I have held them but it only made me want to pick up my M9. I know I am weird but I love my M9. But you can teach this old new tricks.

I said the same thing right before I bought one!:):
    I never owned a Beretta but did own several 1911s and an XD.

I am a Glock latecomer and switched for several reasons:

Magazine capacity (compared to 1911s),
    parts availability,
    relatively inexpensive mags.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Like it was said before, you dont need one, though I do think you need to give them a try. They are very nifty little guns, as can be seen by the changes they inspired in the gun market.

M9's are good guns and if thats what feels right, stay with it. I just sorta took to Glocks and have stuck with them because they work FOR ME!

Just because a gun works, doesnt mean it works the best for you. Find what works FOR YOU!

Or jump on the XD bandwagon and they you will never be able to get replacement parts, it will recoil way more than it should, and you can have something that is a complete piece of **** when looked at from a mechanical perspective.

However, if an XD is what works FOR YOU, then get it and enjoy.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Glocks have their fan base, but I am not a part of it. However, I do not bad mouth them. I think they are a solid pistol even if completely ugly and with grip that is at a terrible angle. They work great for a lot of folks.

If you carry an XD you are playing with fire and I hope you don't get burned. I have owned three and I have never had much luck at getting them to hold up. I absolutely will not carry one because I have no faith that it will go bang when I pull the trigger.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I wanted something to leave in the truck or car and wouldn't get pissed if it got stolen.
    I feel like the glock is the least expensive gun I would trust.

That said, they're ****ing ugly and I don't like to admit that I own one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought of some other good reasons for Glocks:

1. Water parks, boating, etc. and any other time you're around water and might get soaking wet.

2. Hiking and camping ... the Glock 20 is probably the ideal trail gun for defense against people and critters smaller than larger bears.

I suppose I could summarize that and my shower comment to mean that I think the best use for Glocks is when the environment does not favor a gun that may be easier to shoot well, but less capable of withstanding moisture and corrosion issues.

Another factor is when weight is an issue, so that's a reason why they're good trail guns or guns for emergency bags (assuming you can shoot one effectively).

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    If you think XDs have poor reliability stay far away from 1911s ;)

If you carry an XD you are playing with fire and I hope you don't get burned. I have owned three and I have never had much luck at getting them to hold up. I absolutely will not carry one because I have no faith that it will go bang when I pull the trigger.

Top Bottom