• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm looking into buying a back up gun for my ankle. What would be a good gun that's really not high in price. Max 400$. I carry a G23 for my side but would like to have a little back up just in case. Not really a big fan of revolvers but if nothing else that will do.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Something VERY lightweight. Think Kel-Tec, Kahr, or Smith and Wesson Airweight. You are going to be feeling the weight every step, so make it minimal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I often wonder why we don't see a mag or speed loader ankle holster available for the other side to somewhat balance the weight?

exar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to carry a Taurus Ti85 .38 snub on my right ankle. The titanium is so light it was possibly the most comfortable pistol I have ever ankle carried. I decided to upgrade ammo capacity recently and opted for the Taurus Mil-Pro .40S&W on right ankle in a Galco holster. Also a great, comfortable gun. Never had a problem with either one and far more comfortable than any other mode of carry besides OWB. Being out of the way on my ankle makes it just slightly more comfortable than OWB.

The only downside to ankle carry is accessibility compared to OWB. However, if you practice enough I believe it to be a non-issue. A huge plus though is that when you're sitting down or in your car you can get to it a whole lot easier than OWB while sitting. Ankle carry is also less likely to snag on anything IME.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ruger Little Copied Pistol.
    :lol2:

Smaller/lighter is good when it comes to ankle carry, but I've got several friends who carry the subcompact Glocks (26/27, 36) on the ankle and don't have a problem with it. When you start getting into the larger, heavier pistols like that, though, a good ankle holster is critical.

DocGlock86:
    Do yourself a favor and skip the SW380... they are long out of production, and for good reason. :noway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Maybe I just need to try an ankle hoster. Any suggestions on this holster?

I have a friend who has carried a G26 on his ankle every day for the past several years. He uses and swears by Alessi: http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept_id=10&pf_id=AH-AR

Better be prepared to pay through the nose and settle in for a good long wait, though.

Another friend carries his G27 and G36 in a Renegade "Cozy Partner" and speaks highly of it:
    Products at Adco Firearms

HTH!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I would suggest the Kahr PM9 or PM40, but it is a tad more than $400.

They are just so easy to conceal and would work great in an ankle rig.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Dad always carried one of the .22 magnum revolvers on his ankle. I can't ask him why as he's dead, but it was his backup while he was on the job (ISP).

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    If I carried a Glock, I would probably stick with the same type of weapon for familiarity. A sub compact would be nice. XD makes a pretty good one if you are ready to convert.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I used to carry a Taurus Ti85 .38 snub on my right ankle. The titanium is so light it was possibly the most comfortable pistol I have ever ankle carried. I decided to upgrade ammo capacity recently and opted for the Taurus Mil-Pro .40S&W on right ankle in a Galco holster. Also a great, comfortable gun. Never had a problem with either one and far more comfortable than any other mode of carry besides OWB. Being out of the way on my ankle makes it just slightly more comfortable than OWB.

The only downside to ankle carry is accessibility compared to OWB. However, if you practice enough I believe it to be a non-issue. A huge plus though is that when you're sitting down or in your car you can get to it a whole lot easier than OWB while sitting. Ankle carry is also less likely to snag on anything IME.

Ha, I just read the title and was going say how my buddy swears by his mil-pro for an ankle gun...You beat me to it.:)

Top Bottom