I have an SKS...a good pistol to go with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, I've gotten a lot of good info so far after getting my SKS, so I thought I'd ask what a good pistol would be to go along with it. Am leaning towards a .357 revolver or a .45 autoloader; any brands/models/calibers come to mind, either new or surplus?

Thanks again! :patriot:

PS: Will likely be two pistols someday; one for carry, one not.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Any model that begins with XD should be fine. I personally like the models that end in .45ACP:naughty:

:popcorn2:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Whatever fits your hand well, has what you consider enough power and is reliable. I'm partial to Glocks, because they are like the AK of pistols. Revolvers are a little simpler than autos and a good .357 is never a bad choice. If you ever have someone wanting to use it that can't handle the full .357 round, you just put in .38s and it becomes a gentler gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You need to get a CZ-52 or a Romanian TT-33... Chambered, of course, in 7.62x25. Glomming onto a real Russian Tok. would be a real coup.

-J-

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    A BIG +1 to that. The Mak is the SKS of pistols: tanklike, reliable, and pure Soviet through and through. My SKS and Mak love each other dearly, and I love them both equally. I find myself taking the Mak around town much more often though:lmfao:.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pick from:
    Glock/HK/Sig/FN/Beretta/Browning/Colt/CZ

Pass on:
    XD/M&P/Para Ordinance/Kahr - polymer frame models/Taurus

Follow that guideline and you're more likely to be pleased with your purchase.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pick from:
    Glock/HK/Sig/FN/Beretta/Browning/Colt/CZ

Pass on:
    XD/M&P/Para Ordinance/Kahr - polymer frame models/Taurus

Follow that guideline and you're more likely to be pleased with your purchase.

I agree exceptfor the M&P and possibly the XD (though I am not a huge XD fan and yes I have owned one). I haven't seen any issues with M&Ps at the range I work at. In fact one guy shoots the ever loving crap out of his and it never, ever hiccups.

XDs are decent enough, I just prefer the M&P. Hell, I think I prefer the M&P to a Glock as it has a better trigger and feels better in my hand. Also the fact I shoot M&Ps a LOT better than Glocks also helps.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree exceptfor the M&P and possibly the XD (though I am not a huge XD fan and yes I have owned one). I haven't seen any issues with M&Ps at the range I work at. In fact one guy shoots the ever loving crap out of his and it never, ever hiccups.

XDs are decent enough, I just prefer the M&P. Hell, I think I prefer the M&P to a Glock as it has a better trigger and feels better in my hand. Also the fact I shoot M&Ps a LOT better than Glocks also helps.

Yeah, I had two M&Ps neither worked for me, but YMMV

But I do think their 14rd magazine for the .45 is a WINNER!

:cheers:

S&W Smith and Wesson 39213 M&P 45 Magazine 14 RD for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $53.95

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    Whatever fits your hand well, has what you consider enough power and is reliable. I'm partial to Glocks, because they are like the AK of pistols. Revolvers are a little simpler than autos and a good .357 is never a bad choice. If you ever have someone wanting to use it that can't handle the full .357 round, you just put in .38s and it becomes a gentler gun.

+1

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

:+1: And here's your winner!!!

IMHO... Anybody telling you to eliminate all models of any one brand is speaking out of their ace!!! While not a Glock or HK guy myself (I'm an XD guy), I'll freely admit that they make fine firearms. :thumbsup:
    :cheers:

Last edited:

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    i have had no problems with Taurus (my 24/7 pro in 40S&W works great) and my friends have not either and one has owned 4 or 5. Go with what you think feels right to you.

Top Bottom