• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Took my Baby Eagle to Atterbury's Range today. Just to give some background on this piece for those who don't know... I bought it back in late April and was denied. After 4, almost 5 months of waiting, paperwork, and a visit from the ATF, I won my appeal and picked it up on the 5th.

The Eagle is a 9mm Semi-Compact, Polymer Frame w/ Integrated Weaver Rail, in DA/SA with Slide Decocker. It came with 2 Ten Round Magazines, plastic case, 2 bristle brushes(metal and plastic), owner's manual, Registration Card, and the test fire Casing. I also purchased with it 25rnds of Hornady XTP and 100rnds of Fiocchi to add to my collection of 9mm.

I got to the range giddy with excitement, packed with ammo in my ammo can, totin my Baby and my SKS, with Shoot-N-C targets in hand. I paid my money got to the table and laid it all out. Of course, I opted to shoot my Baby first! :D

First, my Ammo choices were as follows... Fiocchi FMJ, Winchester FMJ, Speer Gold Dot HP, and Hornaday XTP HP. Finances kept me from buying the Top-of-the-Line loads... Also shot most rounds at 15yds. First up was the Winchester. Good stuff. 100 rounds without even a hiccup. On the paper every shot! :): I was a bit nervous at first and was all over the target. But none the less, not a single FTF or FTE. Next up was the XTP. Only ten rounds due to lack of money... :n00b: 9 went through without a problem. One round jammed as the slide was 90% closed. Racked the slide, reloaded, fired, no problem. 10 shots all within 4". Low and to the left. Not too shabby. Next up was the Fiocchi. Nice round IMHO. 150 rounds not a single problem. 3" groups, no bullseye left on the page so I had to recover the target. Last up for the 15yrds was the Gold Dot. Absolute CRAP ammo. IMHO. Had 10rnds and all but 2 rnds FTF. one even jammed so bad I couldn't get it clear until after much fiddling. Safety on of course. I will never buy Speer again. I plan to buy Powerball loads next time around.

Next I went to 25yds Just for fun. This Eagle is truly amazing. All rounds fired were Fiocchi. About 100rnds. Not one FTF or FTE and had 3-4" groups every time and blew the target off the board. This gun is supremely accurate and very light. Wow. I LOVE IT!!:thumbsup::rockwoot::thumbsup:

More about the feel of the Eagle. Trigger pull is crisp and easy in SA. I was apprehensive to use it in DA, but trigger pull in DA is still smooth and fairly light. It's surely lighter than my S&W Sigma was for sure! The Kel-Tec P11 has a lighter DAO trigger pull than the DA of the Eagle, but the Eagle still wins hands down in the Trigger department. I wouldn't change it for the world. The grip is perfect for my smaller hand. This is one of the main reasons I bought the pistol in the first place. Top three main reasons that is. It is so light and fits sooo nice in my hands like it was made for me. My only complaint is that the slide lock lever is just about a half inch too far that I have to use either my other hand to lock it back or reach for it with my strong hand. The Decocker is in perfect reach and functions perfectly. I was apprehensive to use the decocker alone without holding the hammer back, but I tested it multiple times throughout my testing and it works flawlessly with one in the chamber. The sights are big and bright white and perfectly on target. Unless I ever decide to go tritum sights, which i doubt I will, the need not be changed. The weaver rail gives me the option to attach a light or laser or both so I won't need to change the sights.

After I brought it home I cleaned it reallllllllly good and oiled it down. I couldn't have asked for a better pistol. As for throwing it in the dirt with a glock and comparing reliability... HA! She's too beautiful and precious to do such a thing to her! Besides, I'd hate to get my hands dirty shooting a Glock! :lmfao: J/K

So here's my review of the Semi-Compact Polymer Baby Desert Eagle in 9mm. I do plan on purchasing a nicer holster and 4 more 15rnd mags so the next time I'm at the range I don't have to spend so much time reloading.... :P

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If the P11 has a lighter DA pull, then the DA pull on the Baby Eagle must be absolutely horrendous.

Ok well then that must mean that my P11 had it's trigger lightened by it's previous owner. I guess I'll have to compare my P11 to someone elses and they can try out my Eagle. I have Wed. and Thur. off every week, but if this person knows where we can shoot that isn't a range, that's even better! I live by the Airport so let me know! :thumbsup:

BTW, my SIGMA's trigger pull was BEYOND horrendous.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Gold Dot crap ammo? Don't think so. I think it is fine ammo and my Glock eats it alive.

I don't want to rain on your parade Savage but take a look just around this board and out of 1000 members maybe 3 are carrying Baby Eagles.

Hundreds carry Glocks, Sigs, HKs, Smith & Wessons etc.

What does that tell you and why out of all the guns on the market did you pick the Baby Eagle?

I have nothing against Baby Eagles and have never shot one. I have shot a Desert Eagle and I think the gun is ridiculous. The Baby Eagle could be the perfect gun for you and that's great. But I think your carry gun should be feeding Speer Gold Dots. :twocents:

Last up for the 15yrds was the Gold Dot. Absolute CRAP ammo. IMHO. Had 10rnds and all but 2 rnds FTF. one even jammed so bad I couldn't get it clear until after much fiddling. Safety on of course. I will never buy Speer again. I plan to buy Powerball loads next time around.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Gold Dot crap ammo? Don't think so. I think it is fine ammo and my Glock eats it alive.

I don't want to rain on your parade Savage but take a look just around this board and out of 1000 members maybe 3 are carrying Baby Eagles.

Hundreds carry Glocks, Sigs, HKs, Smith & Wessons etc.

What does that tell you and why out of all the guns on the market did you pick the Baby Eagle?

I have nothing against Baby Eagles and have never shot one. I have shot a Desert Eagle and I think the gun is ridiculous. The Baby Eagle could be the perfect gun for you and that's great. But I think your carry gun should be feeding Speer Gold Dots. :twocents:

The three handguns I've owned all hated Gold Dots, but eat everything else alive...:dunno:

And what's that old saying... "If everyones thinking alike, nobody's really thinking for themselves..." Good, get a glock, cherish it. I don't like them. :cheers:

I picked my Eagle for three reasons. It felt so good in my hand, lightweight, everything I needed well in reach and the Trigger pull is great. Never heard ANYONE who has had a problem with their Baby Eagle. and the third reason... "...out of 1000 members maybe 3 are carrying Baby Eagles." I'm not a bandwagon kinda guy. I love being different. Not one thing wrong with the Eagle. Not one. Except it hates Gold Dots. So do I. Personal Preferance and I don't hold it against you. Just MHO.

Told me so what? I paid $470 for my Baby. There's nothing wrong with it. It's reliable and I trust my life with it. That's what counts, right?? Now I just need to get some formal training. I know. I plan on it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Gold Dot is pretty well regarded ammo. Too bad your Baby Eagle doesn't like it.

Congratulations, though, on finally getting your gun.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Gold Dot is pretty well regarded ammo. Too bad your Baby Eagle doesn't like it.

Congratulations, though, on finally getting your gun.

Thanks for the Congrats.

I've heard nothing but good about the Gold Dot. It was even recommended to me by the guys at Bradis. But I had two FTE's with my KelTec with GD, I had FTF AND FTE's with my Sigma, and now with my Eagle, it won't eat it without a good rack on the barrel after it jams. I can't trust it. So I prefer the Hornady thus far. Once I get some PowerBall and test it out as recommended from Jerry at AAC and test some other HP's then I may not carry the XTP at all because of that one FTF. What attracts me to the Powerball is that it will feed like a FMJ, but pound harder than a regular HP.

It was explained to me by a couple different people that the PB was designed by Northerners because when a regular HP hits a heavy coat, it expands before it penetrates the body. With PB, it's goes through the coat and the ball desinegrates before the HP hits the flesh. In effect, it will chamber easier than a regular HP. So that's the theory and when I pick up a pack and test it I will confirm or unconfirm this theory.

Until then though, the Gold Dot's suck IMHO so I will not use them.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got my Kahr PM9 loaded with PowerBall ammo. My Kahr has no problems with it. But at this point, it hasn't hicupped on any ammo.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Congrats on the Baby Eagle. There seems to be some confusion with the BE on the links W9ZEB posted. A Baby Eagle is NOT a Desert Eagle, despite the name. They share about as much in common as a Glock and a HK P7 (pretty much nothing other than they are both semi-autos). The BE is yet another CZ clone and generally has a very good reputation. The Desert Eagle is well.... a Desert Eagle. It has a friggin rotating bolt like a semi-auto rifle. Not exactly your basic John Browning design.

As for the Gold Dots being junk. I wouldn't go that far, but if your gun doesn't like them, then don't use them. But, even my P3ATs (which many people feel are huge POSes) feed Gold Dots like a champ.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    If the P11 has a lighter DA pull, then the DA pull on the Baby Eagle must be absolutely horrendous.
    My thoughts exactly! Kel-Tec triggers suck pretty bad, but the pull weight is good in a pocket gun with no external safeties.

But I had two FTE's with my KelTec with GD, I had FTF AND FTE's with my Sigma, and now with my Eagle, it won't eat it without a good rack on the barrel after it jams. I can't trust it.
    Have you considered that the failures you are referring to have all occured with a Kel-Tec, a Sigma, and a Baby Eagle?

With that said, my Glocks and my Kel-Tec (gasp!) eat Gold Dots like they're candy.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Congrats on the Baby Eagle, they are one damn fine weapon. It is my second favorite handgun behind the 1911, although I think it is the best looking modern handgun available.

Go shoot another 500-1000 rounds and try Gold Dots again. That's one good thing about so many varities of hollow points being offered, your gun may not like some but may love others.

Speer Gold Dots are OK ammo, but Winchester Silvertips are my carry ammo. Too many stories to tell, but they are absolutely devastating...

I don't know what a p11 is, but the Baby Eagle DA pull is very comparable to every other sa/da autoloader I've shot.

Lastly, Israeli's have been killing people forever, so they know how to build a good firearm.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Magnum Research currently has 3 basic models of pistol. First they have the Desert Eagle:
    Magnum Research : Desert Eagle
    Next they have the Baby Eagle:
    Magnum Research : Baby Eagle
    And then there's the BFR which stands for Biggest Finest Revolver, but we all know it REALLY stands for Big F****** Revolver:
    Magnum Research : BFR

Not one of these guns is the same and there are many models/variations of each. The Baby Eagle is NOTHING like a Desert Eagle, as epsylum stated. The Baby has currently 14 different models with combinations of steel and polymer and calibers between 9mm, .40S&W, and one model in .45ACP. They have magazines with capacities of 10, 12, 13, 15rnds with Steel or Polymer base plates.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY thing on the BE that is the same as the DE, is the overall shape of the slide. Other than the shape, I see not one similarity.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    BabyEagle006.jpg

BabyEagle007.jpg

BabyEagle008.jpg

BabyEagle009.jpg

BabyEagle010.jpg

If you would like anymore detailed pictures that do not require any further disassembly I'd be more than happy to take more pictures! :D

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Congratulations again on getting your appeal AND your baby eagle.
    The only problem I can see with it, and goes the same for the "bandwagon" theory. It is not popular/plentiful enough for alot of aftermarket goodies. Holster choices are minimal, I don't think CT has developed laser grips for them yet. (XD laser grips just came out) ETC.

All those caveats.... I DO think it has nice lines and a commanding presence. (looks mean)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My thoughts exactly! Kel-Tec triggers suck pretty bad, but the pull weight is good in a pocket gun with no external safeties.

The Kel-Tec trigger can be some-what safely staged too which makes it not so bad. But yes it does suck. BUT compare it to the S&W Sigma and I'm sure you'd love the Kel-Tec! I did!

Congrats on the Baby Eagle, they are one damn fine weapon. It is my second favorite handgun behind the 1911, although I think it is the best looking modern handgun available.

Go shoot another 500-1000 rounds and try Gold Dots again. That's one good thing about so many varities of hollow points being offered, your gun may not like some but may love others.

Lastly, Israeli's have been killing people forever, so they know how to build a good firearm.

Thanks for the congrats. It was a long struggle. And yes, it is beautiful both sitting in my waist and while putting lead down range!

I'm sure that after a few hundred rounds it'll be less picky. Most guns are. But I think I'll try the PowerBall next because with the little ball it will load easier and more reliably.

And you're right, Israeli's do make damn fine weapons. They've had much more experiance and testing than we have. Not saying American firearms are crap, I would never say such a blasphamus thing, but I think the CZ, the AK, all have better reliability than many other American made Autoloaders, or the AR. Hate me for saying this all you want, but it's true.

You can't knock on the BE until you've shot it. Pay for the ammo and go half on the range time and you're more than welcome to shoot it!
    :cheers:

Congratulations again on getting your appeal AND your baby eagle.
    The only problem I can see with it, and goes the same for the "bandwagon" theory. It is not popular/plentiful enough for alot of aftermarket goodies. Holster choices are minimal, I don't think CT has developed laser grips for them yet. (XD laser grips just came out) ETC.

All those caveats.... I DO think it has nice lines and a commanding presence. (looks mean)

Thank you! And you're right there aren't many aftermarket parts for it including holsters. I'd love to have a Fobus holster or something of the like. But the cheap Ebay holster I bought for my Sigma works perfectly... Lemme take a picture of that too.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    BabyEagle012.jpg

BabyEagle011.jpg

It's a cheap holster, but it works. I also have another that doesn't have the extra mag pouch but instead of carrying the Dual-Mag holder AND the holster, this works just as good for now.

Top Bottom