• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ...because I can't get the thing to function like it should. Especially for a $1100 pistol.

After it returns from Genesco, IL, I have some serious thinking to do.

Can probably get OK money for it in trade, can also probably get decent money for it in a FTF sale.

Where to begin "shopping" for a replacement? Definitely want to stay in 9mm

A Glock + goodies is off the table. I don't like the chunky grips.

XD + goodies is off the table. I don't like their chunky grips.

Sig P2022 in 9mm? Good guns? Probably, it's a Sig...

Sig P250? Good guns? Probably, it's a Sig...

What are the "least expensive" H&K products? USP? P2000?

Walther P99c? (I have a full-sized one...me like)

As you can probably tell, I'm definitely leaning towards polymer framed pistols...for the weight factor.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    ...because I can't get the thing to function like it should. Especially for a $1100 pistol.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Those EMPs are sexy little beasts, but I guess Springfield's "re-design" around the smaller cartridge didn't address the problems ineherent in micro-1911s.

Where to begin "shopping" for a replacement? Definitely want to stay in 9mm
    As you can probably tell, I'm definitely leaning towards polymer framed pistols...for the weight factor.

The SIGPRO 9mm has a "chunky" grip, as well. If you don't like the Glock, you won't like the SP2022, IMO. Better to take a look at the P250, or the P239 (not poly frame, but a not super heavy either)

Aside from that, my recommendations would be:

img_PA_tp9093.jpg

1) Kahr TP9 Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / TP Series

p2000_SK_large_right.jpg

2) HK P2000SK Heckler&Koch

109004_large.jpg

3) S&W M&P9C Product: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm

103890_large.jpg

4) S&W 908S or 3913 Product: Model 908S Pistol

HTH!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Shooter,

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm gonna go ahead and ixnay the Kahr...especially considering the troubles I've had with my CW-40... (it goes BACK to the mother ship tomorrow, actually)

The EMP is plagued by a firing pin over-travel problem. Perforated primers are NOT fun... :) But yes, it's a danged good looking pistol. Especially since I put some monkey grips on it. Oohh lala!

I forgot about the Smith non-M&P autos. I know that they're as reliable as the day is long (for the most part). I WANT to like them... They just don't feel good in my hands. The controls are too far away for my liking. The grip seems to be too long front-to-back to make it easy driving for me. I've handled several...and have put several back. I keep hoping that one day I'll find one that fits like a glove...

I've handled a Sig P-250 down at AAC in Mooresville. It was OK; I've definitely held things that feel worse.

M&P is a definite consideration, too. I'd actually forgotten about them until you posted the picture.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you can find a DETONICS Combat Master in 9mm you might consider snapping it up. They are pretty rare, only about 350 made, but I've found 3 of them and mine are all great shooters. Detonics pioneered the small 1911 guns and is known for making them 100% reliable while many of the other mini-1911s are known for having problems. When you find a 9mm Combat Master it usually sells for $850 to $1000, depending on the model.

It would allow you to stay with a 1911 style gun like you EMP, it also lets you stay with a compact size 1911 (although it will be bigger than an EMP). They are not as light as the poly framed guns so if lightweight is your primary goal then they will not make you happy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    NP.

Also forgot to throw the Walther PPS into the mix. It's like a P99 that's been washed in hot water. :):

Personally, I think the grip on the new PPS is even blockier than a Glock. I definitely like the P99 grip and H&K's P30 is an awesome gun with a great grip.

hk_p30.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, the PPS grip is rather squarish, but the fact that it's only half as thick makes it much more comfortable to me. Not "I never want to put it down" comfortable, but more so than Glock.

I like the looks of the HK P30...Looks to be roughly the same size as a Walther P99? May be a bit bigger than I'm looking to go, though.

If my current mental plans go through...I'd like to have something SIMILAR in size to a Kahr CW-40. I know that duplicating that is nigh on impossible, but I'm gonna give 'er a go!

-J-

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    The M&P grip is thin compared to most hi-cap competitors. I really like mine. But I still prefer my service size XD-9. I'm a bigger guy so the blocky grips feel great!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got the SigPro2022 and love the way it feels and shoots.

I've got rather fat hands with short "ish" fingers and it fits well.

I've never had one hiccup with it. It's also surprisingly compact.

I also have a compact M&P and like it as well. Hard to compare the two since they are different sizes.

I do wish the SigPro had larger magazine capacity (holds 12 rounds of .40).

In the looks department, the SIG wins hands down. Since we know how much that matters!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is literally no excuse for a manufacturer to deliver an $1100 pistol to the shelf of a dealer that does not function. I certainly hope Springfield returns a gun to you that is 100%.

Given that, I'm not sure why someone would buy it from you used if it doesn't work, even if the price was "right."

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Am I the only Geek that can't read the title of this thread without thinking Electro Magnetic Pulse and saying, that would be cool to buy? (Guess I'd know the real EMP if I was more of a 1911 guy.)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I no longer worry about EMPs since I covered my entire house with tinfoil (which is hard to find!).

I am a 1911 guy, and I didn't know what it meant until I read the topic. I guess the EMP is not on my radar yet since I've never seen one in person and I can't afford to own one.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When I get it back... I'm going to determine if it's 100% or not, and then sell it. with full disclosure; especially if I sell it to an individual.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom