• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not that I *need* another pistol, but I've thought about finding a .40 cal that is a bit smaller/thinner than my XD40SC. Yes, there are lots of other calibers, but I'm looking at .40 right now!

From my research, here is what I've found:

Springfield Armory EMP (heavy, largest, pricey, but sexy)

CZ-USA -> CZ 2075 RAMI (average specs, decent cost)

Kahr Arms / .40 S&W Models / PM40 Series (thinnest and lightest, pricey)

Berretta Px4 (smallest, but fat, and not available until June, decent cost)

Does anyone else make a .40 in a small frame and short barrel? I think I'd like a single-stack magazine to make it a bit thinner. Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

Would anyone like to get together for a .40 subcompact shoot? I'd love to compare my XD to some/all of the above.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I've got a Walther PPS in 40. It's not something that you'd want to shoot all day, but I'm pleased with it as a CC gun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow! Don't know how I missed the Walther. Small, and light. Thinner than my XD, too. I'll add it to my list.

Looks like the Mag release is just like my little P22? How do you do that one-handed?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Wow! Don't know how I missed the Walther. Small, and light. Thinner than my XD, too. I'll add it to my list.

Looks like the Mag release is just like my little P22? How do you do that one-handed?

I give it the finger. Once you've practiced it it's pretty easy and intuitive to do with the middle finger.

I agonized over the Walther or the Kahr PM40 and side by side comparison decided on the PPS. The PM40 was a tad smaller, but it had a really long trigger travel (smooth though) I didn't like and the Walther just felt better in my hand. The Walther is a bit cheaper too, though that doesn't factor into my decision for a BUG.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm a fan of Kahr pistols. They are exceptionally well made and reliable. They're also American made, which still means something to me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    While I still consider myself a fan of Kahr pistols, even their polymer ones, I cannot in good faith recommend a polymer "full sized" 40 from Kahr.

I had a CW-40 for a few years and my FRAME broke. Plus it wasn't fun at all to shoot...got to be downright brutal with defense loads that were loaded to full spec.

P7060007small.jpg

Consensus from GlockTalk and INGO at the time that it was a relatively benign sliver of polymer that was splitting off...but still. Kahr did replace the frame, however.

My personal belief is that the .40 S&W cartridge is just too much for their polymer frames.

-J-

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Wow Indy, that's not good. That's not minor either.

I've shot my CW9 quite a bit with no signs of wear. .40 is a different beast and I personally have no use for the cartridge. But I think you have a legit point on the durability with the. 40.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My experience too. I'm in the same boat for a small 9 or 40. I've been thinking about a Kel-Tec PF-9.

I had a KT P-11 for a short while, too, before I had the Kahr.

That wasn't fun either. :D

I wish now that I'd have gotten the CW-9 instead.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a Kahr PM40 that I shot for the first time last week. I like the ability to stick it in my pocket.

However, I had trouble hitting the target at 15 yards. And after 100 rounds, it left a nice blister on my thumb. It kicks pretty good, as you would expect, for a little gun.

I'm not unhappy with it. Maybe I just need to learn its sight picture or aim high.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    M&P 40c...you should give one a try. I own one and i think my hands are just a tad too big for it...but i carry it as my bug gun.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Don't even pick it up unless your ready to buy:D This is by far the best EDC I have carried. 1911, small, thin, comfortable to shoot, good POA, disappears under clothing, and in .40S&W. Whats not to like? Compare apples to apples and you will find the price reasonable for what you are getting. If you look around, you can still find for $1000 NIB. Only your hands can tell you how nice this piece is.:yesway:

dsc04773bw.jpg

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    SIG P239 is definitely worthy of consideration. Not the lightest gun in the world, but it handles the .40 cartridge very well. Would fall at the high end of the scale in terms of price. They can be had used at much more reasonable prices.

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    have you thought about the taurus millenium pros. they are small and thin. the only problem i have found with them is that they have a long trigger pull

Top Bottom