Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I won an auction today!!:rockwoot:

As soon as the seller and I finalize everything I will be the proud owner of a Sig 229 in .357!! I will post pics when I get in my possession.

Anyone have a lead on any reasonably priced plinking ammo?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Hardy-har....Placed an order with Dillon last night. Hope it is in by the time I get back in town! Now if I could just find my powder.....

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hardy-har....Placed an order with Dillon last night. Hope it is in by the time I get back in town! Now if I could just find my powder.....

Congrats on your new gun ! You will love that caliber.

If you want a decent priced bullet to load for plinking, the Hornady 124 gr FMJ-FP can be bought in bulk and it matches up with the short neck of the case.

If you cant find the powder you're looking for, I get good results with Blue Dot, VihtaVuori N105 and Accurate arms # 9.

The Brass shop in Wisconsin sells once fired cases at a decent price. Last I remember, it was around $38.00 / 1000 for your choice of Speer or Federal... The Federals are a non-toxic primer and do have a crimped in primer tho..

As you probably already know, if you run the cases thru a .40 sizing die ( carbide) first, you won't need to lube them when you size the neck and shoulder. It's a extra step, but I find over all, it still saves time.

Watch your crimp... Too much force down and you'll buckle the case enough it will have trouble chambering... You want enough to prevent set-back. There is VERY little surface area on the neck to hold that bullet secure. Last thing you want is for that bullet to slide back when your running about 40,000 PSI already. I found the Lee factory crimp die with the collet works great. It applies the crimping pressure from the sides allowing you plenty of crimp without risk of buckling that shoulder.

Good luck !

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I love my P229. I have 357 Sig and Cal barrel for mine. Watch CDNN fr specials on them. Got my 40 barrel from them for $90.00 and it is a original Sig barrel.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    Congratulation on your new pistol. I have two 229's. One in .40 and the other in 9mm. Both are fantastic guns. You will love yours. One word of caution... SIG's are addictive!!

Top Bottom