• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Well went with paul to pick up my new lower today. RRA lower, parts kit, and buffer tube. I have a RRA 10.5" A4 flat top upper on the way now.

Just need to get a front sight, winter trigger guard, already have either an EOTech or carry handle to put on the upper, dunno what one yet.

Pictures:
    RRA_pistol1.jpg

RRA_pistol2.jpg

And the upper I ordered yesterday
    _MG_6895.JPG

I plan on making this a SBR when I am 21 in March. Should be fun :cheers:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    *Ignorant questions ahead*

I know next to nothing about ARs... But I know that I've seen AR pistols...

What's the difference between one of these pistols and a SBR? Is the buffer tube constructed in such a way that a stock can't be added?

Could you take a lower from an AR pistol and re-configure it into a rifle (SBR or not?) What about taking a rifle and re-configuring it into a pistol configuration?

I don't understand. :)

-J-

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    *Ignorant questions ahead*

I know next to nothing about ARs... But I know that I've seen AR pistols...

What's the difference between one of these pistols and a SBR? Is the buffer tube constructed in such a way that a stock can't be added?

Could you take a lower from an AR pistol and re-configure it into a rifle (SBR or not?) What about taking a rifle and re-configuring it into a pistol configuration?

I don't understand. :)

-J-

I may be corrected on this, but this is the way I understand it. Once a rifle, it cannot become a pistol, it has to be made a pistol from the factory. Pistols can be converted into SBRs if all the proper hoops are jumped through. The pistol lower is made in a way that a stock cannot be added without deliberately changing parts to do it (possibly machining is required, not sure).

That being said, the buffer tube on AR pistols can be used like a crappy stock by putting the back of it against the shoulder. It is only about 1/2" shorter than an M4 stock all the way in. So in effect it is like a poor man's SBR.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    ashylarry-
    DO NOT keep that 10.5" upper in the house if you have an AR rifle lower and don't have one registered as an SBR or pistol! Check with the ATF; you will find that it is illegal to have an SBR upper and no SBR or pistol lower unless you have no AR-type lower at all. I would recommend keeping that upper at someone elses house (who does not have an AR lower) until you get a registered SBR or pistol lower.

It is illegal to convert an AR rifle into a pistol.

It is legal to convert an AR pistol (made by the factory as a pistol lower) into a rifle, and back again.

This makes less sense now that I can see the pics of the pistol lower. I'm still confused as to why the OP put "pistol" in quotes, as he is describing a real pistol.

Last edited:

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    ashylarry-
    DO NOT keep that 10.5" upper in the house if you have an AR lower and don't have one registered as an SBR! Check with the ATF; you will find that it is illegal to have an SBR upper and no SBR lower unless you have no AR-type lower at all. I would recommend keeping that upper at someone elses house (who does not have an AR lower) until you get a registered SBR lower.

It is illegal to convert an AR rifle into a pistol.

It is legal to convert an AR pistol (made by the factory as a pistol lower) into a rifle, and back again.
    Please stop spreading NFA ignorance on here, His ar rifle will be 16" and the pistol is 10.5" he is 100% in the clear as long as it is kept that way. He has a lower transfered to him as a pistol, so he is 100% in correst and legal in using his 10.5" upper with it in the same household.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Please stop spreading NFA ignorance on here, His ar rifle will be 16" and the pistol is 10.5" he is 100% in the clear as long as it is kept that way. He has a lower transfered to him as a pistol, so he is 100% in correst and legal in using his 10.5" upper with it in the same household.

Thanks for saying it nicer than I would have don :)

I have talked to a few people, including Don so that I would not do anything to get myself 10 years of ass raping.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I don't see any kind of a fight going on here. Just the spreading of some misinformation.

normal_moderated_heil.jpg

Last edited:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Dude, you've got the same fireplace and tv trays as me..:D

I very interested in how that thing shoots compared to 14.5".. My new upper is going to be a dedicated SBR just haven't decided how short.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Dude, you've got the same fireplace and tv trays as me..:D

I very interested in how that thing shoots compared to 14.5".. My new upper is going to be a dedicated SBR just haven't decided how short.

wonder how much these houses look a like on the inside :): Yah Id like to go shoot it sometime to see how accurate it will be at somewhat of a distance. That is why my AR rifle will have an 18 or 20" barrel. But if everything goes to plan it will be a SBR with suppressor when I am 21

Top Bottom