• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    So inspired by rmabrey and his https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/86645-tonight_s_project.html white lettering project (be sure to rep him when you check out the link) Karodger and Myself decided to do it as well!

After deciding NOT to ask our lady friends for nail polish and nail polish remover(:rolleyes:) we set out on our mighty steads to the land of Walmart.

When we arrived there was a female associate in the nail polish isle, and I will admit, I kept moving out of fear, but no Kyle said :nono: and went in like a true little lady. Say a prayer for his manhood everyone :D

We also had to explain to the check out lady what we were purchasing, she wanted to know what we were up to :): I told her it was girls night, kyle didn't like that very much . . . . oh well

So we purchased:

0008100000981_215X215.jpg

Cost: 2.00

0007278504499_215X215.jpg

Price: .97 cents

0007874200600_215X215.jpg

Price: 2.00

We also had qtips, but I didn't purchase them, they were just from my own secret stash.

So total is a little over 5 bucks with tax, not bad for a DIY project.

Step one: apply nail polish over areas with lowered lettering. one quick coat to make sure it sunk in is fine. You may do 2 coats if you would like but it is not needed. Notice I did a lot, I didn't know any better, and this results in a picture you'll see later.
    IMG00687.jpg

Step two: After 5 minutes take the pad and dip it in the nail polish remover, rub on top of the lettering, you can press hard if you'd like, its not coming out of those letters very easily.
    IMG00693.jpg

Results:
    IMG00690.jpg

^^^ 3 on the left are Karodgers, two on the right are mine. Apply a light two coats, I have been able to clean off my mags to look just like his now, but unless you have precise dainty lady hands like Karodger just apply a light coating.

Step 3: Paint over letters on the slide, the slide cleans a lot better then the mags do, so don't worry as much as to how many coats you put on. I would still suggest two for the ease of removal however. We did both Glock side and SN side.

NOTE: I did take rubbing alcohol to my slide as I like to keep things wet. I understand Glocks don't care, but its a personal preference thing. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any oils or grease that could effect the nail polish.

IMG00691.jpg

Step 4: After 5 minutes take the pad and dip it in the nail polish remover, rub on top of the lettering, you can press hard if you'd like, its not coming out of those letters very easily.
    IMG00693.jpg

Results:
    IMG00689.jpg

IMG00695.jpg

IMG00694.jpg

IMG00697.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! We are enjoying our new carry pieces!

Sorry for the cell phone pics, hope this inspires some of you to do the same thing! I think it looks great once its all cleaned up!

PS: I also did the metal SN plate on the bottom of the slide with black nail polish, it basically did the same as above just in black. It isn't really as noticeable but it works!

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    amzing i've been thinking about doing this to my 3 glock's...my only concern is after a while of carry and shooting does the white start turning yellow?

To be honest I don't really know. I did find in my girls make up stash some "clear coat" like nail polish for her nails. She told me she puts it over the top to help the paint last longer. I plan on just gently brush over the top to create a seal over the top. Ill update when I do that and post my thoughts.

Also to the XD guy: sure! Should be no reason not to try it. Be sure to post how it looks, I have a friend up here who has an XD9 and I think Ill see if he wants to try it out as well.

glockman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indy
    I know what I'm doing today!!! That looks great man, nice job. I have been thinking about doing this to my glocks but now I think its a given. I think I will try silver on one though.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Worked great for the Carbine but not so well for the Pistol... I used automotive touch up paint has a little pen feature that allows you to work it into the groove.
    100_0411.jpg

100_0408.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    No, it wasn't to thin it may have had something to do with the fact I tried the "crayon method" first and that failed miserably... I tried to clean it all off but it didn't come off so great.
    p.s. its a 4095 not a 995... lol I got that 40S&W fever.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    No, it wasn't to thin it may have had something to do with the fact I tried the "crayon method" first and that failed miserably... I tried to clean it all off but it didn't come off so great.
    p.s. its a 4095 not a 995... lol I got that 40S&W fever.

My 23 had crayon on it first, I used a tooth brush to get it out and it worked well.

And sorry, I had a 995 once, but I agree, 40 is where its it ;)

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Works on AR's too. I prefer model paint over nail polish. Nail polish is a bit gummy and harder to work with. What ever you choose remember nail polish = Acetone, and Model paint = thinner. It does not work both ways.

IMAG0071.jpg

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I did my G19 about a year ago with white fingernail polish, and it remains bright white with no fading or discoloration on the gun itself. On the mags, it started to chip out relatively quickly with use; I'm assuming the nail polish didn't adhere to the plastic as well as it did the finish on the metal slide.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I did that to one of my AR's 5 years ago with that craft paint you buy at walmart.

Still hasn't yellowed or chipped out.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    BE WARNED: I went and ran about 60 rounds through it, my P97, this afternoon with the wife (see photo album) and when I got home I began the aftermath clean up. I used "Quick Scrub" to clean the frame and it got into the lettering I spent sooooo much time whitening. The color from the polish ran and smeared everywhere. So, if you have used finger nail polish to highlight your frame...be very careful during the clean up process.

I have no idea of how to do it with out making the hard work look like a third grader did it.

Good luck

Doug

Top Bottom