Thoughts and Opinions on 3rd gen S&W autos?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Exactly what the title says. I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions. What do you like about them?
    What don't you like about them?
    Which have you had or have?
    Any problems you've ever had?

I'm specifically looking at a 4013tsw model.

Thanks in advance

Wesley929

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Some of the best double action triggers ever put on a production combat gun.
    As reliable a handgun as you will be able to buy.
    Accurate.
    Heavier than Tupperware, but correspondingly pleasant to shoot.
    Great guns, usually undervalued on today's used gun market, IMHO.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From my experience with a 5904, 3914, and 5906:

I like them because they are:
    • Very reliable, good shooters
    • Excellent double action triggers (for what they are)
    • Until recently, the 5900 series was one of the few double action high capacity 9mm guns whose trigger I could reach with my stubby fingers
    • The trigger reset is the shortest you can get on a double action pistol
    The only thing I don't like is that I rarely get to use them since I'm shooting something else. If I had to carry double action guns, S&W 3rd generation would be it. I'd prefer a 5906 configured like the 1076 (the 10mm FBI contract gun from years ago) since it had a frame mounted decocker and no external safeties (like a Sig Sauer).

Exactly what the title says. I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions. What do you like about them?
    What don't you like about them?
    Which have you had or have?
    Any problems you've ever had?

I'm specifically looking at a 4013tsw model.

Thanks in advance

Wesley929

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'd prefer a 5906 configured like the 1076 (the 10mm FBI contract gun from years ago) since it had a frame mounted decocker and no external safeties (like a Sig Sauer).

That would be a 5926.

SW5926.JPG

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do you have that in stock at Bradis, or is that just a pic you found?

Just a pic I found; I've never seen one in person. Heck, I didn't even know that S&W did any 3rd Gen guns with frame-mounted decocker until Rhino mentioned it, and I went and read up on the 1076.

And here I thought I was going to go all day without learning something new. ;)

Last edited:

firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own a 4516-1 and here is what I like about it:

All Steel Frame
    SA/DA
    Heavy enough to keep recoil to a manageable level
    Reliable, digests various brands of ammo without a hiccup
    Sight dovetails accept lots of different sights

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just a pic I found; I've never seen one in person. Heck, I didn't even know that S&W did any 3rd Gen guns with frame-mounted decocker until Rhino mentioned it, and I went and read up on the 1076.

And here I thought I was going to go all day without learning something new. ;)

Rats. Had a 1076, and loved it. Except for the fact it wouldn't feed worth a darn :( If ya'll had a 5926 in stock, Cathy would have to go stroll the mean streets of C-ville tonight :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a 6906 and 915. Love them both. Eventually would like to pick up a 5906 and 4506. Oh and a 3913LS. They are great guns. You can usually find deals on them for under $400 for great condition.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Thanks for all the info. I'm getting a chance to shoot the 4013tsw Saturday and see if it fits me. I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions.

Wesley929

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

I had no idea that such a beast actually existed! I was just "dreaming" of an ideal 59XX gun!

Thank you for the reference and the photo, sir!

I have a 5926. I was unaware of their existence until I found one used at a shop in Jasper a while back. It is a police trade in from Arizona, forget the town's name, but it is stamped on the slide.

I shoot it probably more than any other gun. Very accurate, although the DA trigger is rather gritty, while single action mode is pretty good.

Solid, reliable, feels like it would last forever. I never carry it because of the weight, but wouldn't hesitate to do so if I didn't have lighter carry pieces.

I also own the 3913 LS. Great compact carry handgun. I believe they are becoming harder to find as time goes on..........

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Bought an LEA trade-in 4586 8 or 10 yrs back from Kiesler's in J'ville. It's been 100% reliable with every sort of ammo I've tried in it, shoots at least as well as I can hold it for with most of that and has perhaps the easiest DAO trigger to learn to hit well with quickly that I've yet tried. No featherweight, but comparable to a steel-framed 1911. Handles nicely and fits my hand well.

Needs replacements for the old Novak tritium sights, which is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. Other than that, I really like it.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I have a 4003TSW and absolutely love it. It is a real pleasure to shoot, is extremely accurate, and has never malfunctioned. I agree that the 3rd generation are undervalued and often overlooked. Wish I had the money to have gotten a some of the trade in guns that CDNN had a few years back. They would have been a welcome to my small collection.

Top Bottom