• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I'm thinking about buying a 22 handgun. I have three 22lr rifles and find them fun & alot cheaper than my AK to shoot. So I know how dirty they are and that feed problems are usual. I have several handguns. But they get expensive to feed. I want a fun, reliable, and affordable plinker. So what would you recommend? And why?

THE important stuff is bold!....lol THANKS! Turtle! Turtle!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Walther P22 because it looks like a space gun and you can put a suppressor on it. (*pew pew*!)

Ruger Mk III because it's accurate as heck.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anything in the Ruger MkII or MkIII family. Were I in your position today, the 22/45 MkIII with 5-1/2" bull barrel would be my choice.

263L.jpg

The Walther P22 is a decent plinker, but IME the quality and accuracy just aren't up to par with true target pistols like the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MkIII. The Ruger is the Gold Standard, and the 22/45 models offer a grip angle and controls located similarly to many service-type semi-auto pistols. Unless you also own a P99, the feel and controls of the P22 might seem a bit alien to you.

My wife has a MkII Government Competition (KMK-678GC) and I've got a 22/45 that's been cut and threaded for a suppressor. The MkII is 11 years old now, and the 22/45 is about half that; both have been absolutely reliable over several thousand rounds. The only thing that's broken on either gun has been the setscrew that holds the rear sight in place on my 22/45, and that was easily replaced with a quick trip to the hardware store.

HTH!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito
    Mosquitoes are nice, but they're very particular about ammo. I think they're great to learn on because the controls are so similar to its big brothers and makes it very easy to move up into bigger caliber handguns, but it sounds like the OP just wants it for plinking and already has experience with the bigger handguns. If anyone wants one though, I could be convinced to part with mine. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As another option, one that's much less expensive, also look at either the Beretta NEOS (they seem to be love/hate with folks, like the P22) or the S&W 22A. There's also the new Walther SP22.

I've handled these, but have never shot them.

SHOULD be able to get into them (At least the Beretta and the S&W) for at least $100 less than a Mark III and a Walther P22.

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As another option, one that's much less expensive, also look at either the Beretta NEOS (they seem to be love/hate with folks, like the P22) or the S&W 22A.

The Neos has a heavy, sloppy trigger pull; among the worst I've encountered in a single-action .22 semi-auto. I'd take the S&W 22A over the Neos in a heartbeat.

Stevenlong8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Monroe Co.
    Ruger MkII

I have on of these w/bull barrel, loves any ammo, never a jam,misfire, good factory trigger pull, one of my favorite guns, Ill never part with it.

:yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anything in the Ruger MkII or MkIII family. Were I in your position today, the 22/45 MkIII with 5-1/2" bull barrel would be my choice.
    I have on of these w/bull barrel, loves any ammo, never a jam,misfire, good factory trigger pull, one of my favorite guns, Ill never part with it.

:yesway:

My vote is with these guys.

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    I have a Ruger Standard model, I have never had a malfunction with it and it is very accurate, as those aren't readily available, any Ruger Mk2 or Mk3, 22/45 would serve you equally as well.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Browning, Ruger, or S&W (either 22A or S or if you have the cash Model 41).

The P22 and Mosquito are plinkers, the ones mentioned above are target pistols for not much more (less in the case of the 22A).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ruger (Mk I, II, or III), Browning, or S&W in that rough order. Reliability should NOT be a problem with a good sample of any of these and I would not EXPECT it.

Some people have experienced problems with their Walther P22s. Google around a bit.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Hard to beat the good, old Ruger auto's. Theyve been around for years and just keep going! I had one from the early sixties and it was stilla great, reliable shooter. I've owned several over teh years and currently have what was always my 'dream' model, the stainless heavy barrel Gov't model with the thumb rest grips and slab sided barrel. It's a great gun and a real shooter!

Dogu K

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've owned several over teh years and currently have what was always my 'dream' model, the stainless heavy barrel Gov't model with the thumb rest grips and slab sided barrel. It's a great gun and a real shooter!

Dogu K

I have the exact same MkII. I LOVE it. It is one gun I will never, ever part with. Seriously.

It is reliable and very accurate. With a red dot on it, it is almost like cheating. 50 round groups (all 5 of my mags loaded) that can be covered with a quarter is not a problem.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    My favorite .22 cal handguns

:twocents: I have had a Ruger Mark 1 and a Browning Buckmark for over ten years that I love to shoot. The Ruger is a little heavier and feels better in the hand but both shoot as accurate as you can aim using quality ammo. I would recommend either as a nice target gun for anyone looking for a nice .22.

The guns are top quality, the ammo is cheap. I also have a Ruger Single-six in .22LR and .22mag that is a dream to shoot if you are a wheel gun type of guy like me.

If you really want a fun rifle look for a used Rossi Gallery pump. I paid less than $200 new for mine 15 years ago. You don't find many used for sale because people love them don't want to part with them.

Any of these four guns are great target shooters for those of us on a budget who do not have unlimited funds to shoot up.

Top Bottom