• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Here's my dilemma and I hope someone from Indiana who knows the buying rules can help me out.

I own a Sig 226 9mm right now, my Utah CCW permit should be here shortly. I would like to trade in my 226 for a new Sig 250 for easier carry/versatility purposes, and I could change to a .40 for carrying too. The problem is i'm in Indiana for work purposes and am still technically a ND resident so I can not purchase or trade in a handgun at the shop with the 250. However, my girlfriend, who is now an IN resident for 90+ days would be allowed to purchase the 250 I assume. This is what i'm thinking... can I "privately" sell her my 226 for say, $1, she could take the 226 in trade it in, pay the difference for the 250, then sell me back the 250 "privately" for say a $1.. I'm not sure the laws in IN about private owner selling to private owner etc... Any information, tips, would be great. I am going back to ND in two weeks for about a week, so I guess I could wait till then if this process is not possible or legal.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's my dilemma and I hope someone from Indiana who knows the buying rules can help me out.

I own a Sig 226 9mm right now, my Utah CCW permit should be here shortly. I would like to trade in my 226 for a new Sig 250 for easier carry/versatility purposes, and I could change to a .40 for carrying too. The problem is i'm in Indiana for work purposes and am still technically a ND resident so I can not purchase or trade in a handgun at the shop with the 250. However, my girlfriend, who is now an IN resident for 90+ days would be allowed to purchase the 250 I assume. This is what i'm thinking... can I "privately" sell her my 226 for say, $1, she could take the 226 in trade it in, pay the difference for the 250, then sell me back the 250 "privately" for say a $1.. I'm not sure the laws in IN about private owner selling to private owner etc... Any information, tips, would be great. I am going back to ND in two weeks for about a week, so I guess I could wait till then if this process is not possible or legal.

Any gun that gets sold from one resident of a state to the resident of another state - must go through a FFL...

What this means is - if you sell the handgun to your GF you have to go to a FFL and get it transferred....

Then if she buys a p250 and wants to transfer it to you - it will have to get transferred again at the FFL and possibly shipped back to a FFL in ND for you to pick up.

Complicated and stupid - if you were an IN resident you could just sell it to me and go buy your 250 from another resident or an FFL.

IN is a non register state - so private transfers are good to go with residents above the age of 18 - no paperwork needed.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    that's kind of what I thought would happen. I really don't want to get residency in IN (much higher state taxes, plus county taxes and so on and so on, democratic state I guess) I guess I'll just bring it back to ND with me and do a trade out up there, much less work and hassle.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    well, this is what happened and here's the process if there are any other out of staters that find a great gun here. I got the gun here in IN, paid for it here in Indianapolis but they had to ship it up to my gun store (FFL) licensed dealer up in ND. When I go there in a week and a half I have to fill out the paperwork and take delivery of it up there.

For those wondering why I didn't just buy it up there is because it was a hell of a price for a brand new Sig 250, and I had a friend from back home look at the shops there and they didn't have one.

Top Bottom