• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indybill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    I am looking to buy a handgun and realized that they do not all come in left handed styles. I need a pistol because of the safety aspect. Is it hard to find a good inexpensive left handed gun? I read some info on Hi Point and it seemed like what I needed but it turned out to right handed. Thanks for answers.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    You don't need (especially with a handgun) a "left-handed" gun. If you want a safety that is operable with your left hand, just find a gun with an ambidextrous safety or de-cocker. Other than that I really don't understand what would need to be different about it. Also a note on Hi-Points: you may want to check the thread on the brand on this forum that popped up recently. I would say you should go with something from a more reputable manufacturer.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    All the S&W M&P are fully left or right handed, the slide release is ambi and the mag release can be switched easily to either side. I think the Bersa 9mm is also ambi, and many firearms have, or can be made, with ambi safety's.

That said, I am left handed and prefer to no have a safety at all, trusting in a trigger safety on my M&P or a long DA pull on other firearms. For the mag release, I switched it on my M&P and actually prefer it on the "wrong" side, it is much easier for me to use that way so I put it back in the right handed position. I also almost never use the slide release, using the "slingshot" method instead. All said and done, I use zero left handed features though I shoot left handed. The only item I would need you be an ambi safety if I get a handgun with a safety, or a 1911 type pistol. Otherwise, I do not think the other things are worth worring about.

I had a friend try has M&P with the mag release setup for index finger release )setup for left handed use, though he shoots right handed) and he liked it better, and left it that way!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you really look into them, you might find that most semi-auto handguns are ambi. Many have safeties on both sides, or DAOs with no safety at all. Many like the Beretta line can have the mag release switched from right to left very quickly and easily.

I personally like the Beretta line as I shoot with either hand. Nice not having a "weak hand"! I find it really easy with safeties on both sides, and the mag release so placed that either hand can work it easily, that the Beretta 92 makes shooting with either hand very easy.

By the way, please don't tell me how big a 92 grip is, I have small hands and have no problem hitting what I aim at.

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I'm a lefty with a Glock and a Sig. Neither one needs a thumb safety, since I keep my trigger finger away from the trigger until ready to shoot. No problems operating either one.

Dr. Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've got a Ruger SR9 it works well for me and I am a lefty also. Be careful of any pistol you get that isn't ambidextrous with the mag release. I had a Tarus PT908 that I was told the mag release could be flipped over, wrong, when I got a firm grip on the pistol my mag would let loose. Needless to say I didn't keep it long.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom