• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    So I have went out, shot a few handguns, and decided what I like. Now for my first gun do I want to go Used or New? What should I look for in a used handgun? I am looking at an XD40 Compact right now. Should I spring out and just go brand new being a noob?

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Used guns can offer you a better gun than new guns in the same price range, but you do have to be careful about what you buy.

Ask the seller about how many rounds they put through the gun, weather or not they are the original owner, how old the gun is etc.

You can also ask if they have had any problems with the gun. Look for manufactures that offer a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty, such as Hi-Point and several others. That way if something breaks or stops working correctly you can send it in, and get it repaired for free.

Good luck and happy shooting!

shotgun131313

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Clark county
    i agree .but if it is as tough as the hi point c9 you probably will never need to.people hate them but they go bang every time or at least mine does.
    if it were a keltec it needs 200 rounds to be broken in,or what they call a fluff and buff.so go with a used and spend the savings on ammo or a c9:patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Man.... on a used firearm, you gotta look at it 6 ways to Sunday.

Examine the whole thing for wear, stress marks, holster marks, etc etc etc.

If you can break it down and field strip it, you MUST do this. Examine the chamber side of the slide. Look at the wear on the barrel/slide interface. Look at the breech face.

Check all the control levers to be sure they move.

Look at the mags. Are they all beat to crap or relatively unscathed?

How clean is the inside of the thing?

Has there been any refinishing done? (If yes, why?)

Aftermarket parts?

If it's a revolver...how well does it "lock up"...ie...the tightness? An easy way to judge the lock up of a revolver (DA/SA, that is) is to cock the hammer with your thumb. KEEPING YOUR HAND ON THE HAMMER, you pull the trigger. SLOWLY let the hammer fall by riding it with your thumb...do not let go of the trigger, keep it pulled back. This configuration, with the hammer "freshly fallen" and the trigger back duplicates the configuration the thing's in at the point of primer ignition.

With the trigger back and the hammer down, manipulate the cylinder...rotate it CW and CCW, frontwards and backwards. Check for "play". If you can, try to get a bore-light to help, but look at the cylinder-to-forcing cone-zone. Determine if it's a perfect line up or if the cylinder is "off" a little. (the line-up of cylinder to forcing cone is called "timing")

Rinse, and repeat this process for all cylinders.

But, something to keep in mind: Something can look terrible, but be a perfectly good shooter in sound mechanical condition. Some things can be perfect cosmetically but not run worth a crap.

It's ultimately a judgement call, however....with all of the above factors coming in to play.

Maybe hook up sometime with someone who "knows guns" and go visit a few shops. Tell 'em you're trying to learn; most folks'll help teach.

-J-

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    bdawg,

I would recommend that you go with a new gun for your first purchase. That way you can turn to the manufacturer if anything goes wrong. I would also recommend that you stick with factory new ammo from the major manufacturers. After determining the caliber you want, and getting a feel for which gun fits you best, then I'd say get the best gun you can afford. Just because a buddy has one brand and caliber of gun, doesn't mean that that one is for you. People have different hand sizes, tolerance for recoil, bank accounts, and purposes for their guns. Make sure that you get one that fits YOU!

After you gain some experience and knowledge, you can start looking at used guns and reloaded ammo.

Some people get rid of guns because there is something wrong with them, and gun shops don't normally give a warranty on used guns, and most don't on new guns (the manufacturer covers that). It isn't easy to tell if a used gun has a problem without shooting it.

Welcome :welcome:to the world of gun owners...and more particularly, Indiana Gun Owners. Someone should build a website devoted to us!:D

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    i have yet to buy a NIB handgun i have gotten a "new" sig p6 and several used guns. just make sure to check them over and be careful to check all functions of the gun. as well as if you can take it down do so. the reason i have never gotten a new gun is more money related. but also i have not gotten a bad gun yet.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you find a used whatever you're looking for and the price is reasonable, do it.

The last handgun I bought, a DNR Glock 23 trade-in, appeared to be unfired. No residue in the gun and the finish wasn't even worn on the front of the barrel hood. And it even had new night sights installed.

The first used handgun I bought (Colt Series 70 1911), I could tell it wasn't taken great care of, but I wanted it. The barrel was incredibly fouled with copper and was hiding some pitting. A new barrel is in order as it doesn't group tight enough.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    IMO, buy used to save money...once you own it, it will become used very quickly anyway! So what if you weren't the trigger man for the first 50-1000 rounds?

The gun manufacturers (Glock, Beretta) I have returned guns to for repair did so quickly, thoroughly and for free.

Lastly, many good used guns are out there FTF...why create a longer paper trail?

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you are going to go for the XD40 then I would say go new. There is a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.

Unless you find a gem, you will probably not save more than 100$ by going used anyway. 100$ will buy alot of ammo but for me the warranty and then "knowing" the history of the gun is worth it.

:twocents:

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So I have went out, shot a few handguns, and decided what I like. Now for my first gun do I want to go Used or New? What should I look for in a used handgun? I am looking at an XD40 Compact right now. Should I spring out and just go brand new being a noob?

I always look used first, usually thats where you can save money.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have bought two guns new, the rest were either FTF or used at the LGS. I have picked up some used ones that have been fired very little. You can usually tell how much wear they have and judge from there. All of my used guns are very nice. I have bought a few that needed 0000 steel wool to clean up but cleaned up nicely, some were fired very little if at all. The gun on the left I bought used at a pawn shop and it looked like it had maybe 100 or 200 down the pipe, virtually new and not a scratch on it. I got it for a price that you still can't beat.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I BUY NEW GUNS IF THEY ARE JUST OUT FOR SALE. LIKE THE SPRINGFIELD XDM OR RUGER LCP. I ALWAYS LOOK FOR NICE USED GUNS. MOST PEOPLE NEVER SHOOT THE GUNS THEY HAVE, SO USED IS A GOOD DEAL.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you don't want to spend a lot and want a great gun, try Bersa, they also have a lifetime warranty.

I will add that once you buy your first one, no matter what you buy, look out and padlock your account! You may try to empty it!

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    If you have never owned a handgun, I would seriously consider a 22 semi-auto. You can get some of them new for under $300. I just bought a P22 Walther to plink with and to put a silencer on. I already have a nice Colt target pistol but wanted the Walther for my first suppressed pistol.

Buy a new 22 pistol and learn to shoot it well. While you are learning with the cheaper ammunition you can get exposure to the other pistols and maybe even shoot others before you have to make your decision. A 22 will get you started and you can shoot a lot of times for very little money.

Last edited:

miltony

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Evansville
    If it's a private sale on a used gun, I'd ask for a 3 day non-firing inspection. That way you've got a chance to indulge in buyer's remorse if something doesn't look quite right - and a chance to check the piece with someone who'd know, if you don't feel knowledgeable enough to do so. This is common with internet transactions.

Of all my guns only about 25% of them were bought new. Sometimes, you just get interested in something that isn't available new, i.e., a S&W Model 39-2 for example, or a Colt Detective Special or ........the list goes on and on.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Good luck my friend. When I started I went with new. Now after more years than I care to count, I find used are good values. I got taken on one simply because I did not listen to the other party. By the way the guy was my cousin. His remark on the Python he gave me in exchange for a Uberti 45 LC was, "It had a barrel obstruction." Remark went right over my head. A few months later while shooting at the range I was reading paper that looked like six rounds of 00 buck had been taken to it. Anyway the evidence of it "having a barrel obstruction" was definitely made clear. When buying used; look, listen, and feel.

Top Bottom