• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    I have decided to buy a small .22 for pocket carry. I am leaning towards a Taurus PT-22. My wife had a Beretta Tomcat in .32 and I really liked that for pocket carry. Is the Taurus just a DAO copy of the same design? I am not a Taurus hater and have owned many of them with no problems.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have had a Beretta M21 in .22LR for 20 years. The weapon is very reliable and surprisingly accurate with the thin front sight. It seems to like any ammo I put into it and it can be carried cocked and locked or DA, whatever you like. I like it so much I bought another one from a fellow INGOer last year. You can usually score a used blued M21 for around $250. The stainless version is really nice, but more expensive.

I have also shot the Taurus look-alike. It functioned fine when I shot it, but it was just a little larger and clunkier than the Beretta and the fit and finish left something to be desired. I have had good luck with the Taurus guns I have owned, but for the $$, I would hold out for the Beretta. Try one and see.

The third choice is the Walther TPH if you can find one. Pretty slick little gun and it has a "BOND'" factor.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Berettas are nice. On the cheap side is the Phoenix .22 which seem to be pretty reliable. If this is a possible SD gun then no.

You also may want to consider a S&W 317 which is totally reliable and very light weight. Unfortunately, they are pricey for what they are.

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    For what it's worth,
    I have had a PT-22 for years. Think I paid less than $150.
    Goes bang every time, eats anything you feed it.
    The DAO is a little different to me, but serves for pocket carry nicely.
    True, the fit n finish aren't wonderful, but to get beat up in my pocket or glove box, who cares.
    Regards

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Beretta 950 or 21 would work. I use a NAA Mini revolver. Have 2, 1 is a .22LR and the other is a little bigger .22/22Mag. Very well machined from stainless steel and rock solid dependable. Made for close in work though. Keep mine loaded with Stingers.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have a Phoenix HP22 and it is a great pistol. It is very accurate and has been 100% reliable. It's a little heavy to slip in the pocket but I bought a real nice leahter holster on ebay for it and it carries really nice.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Having owned a taurus pt-22, I would buy something else. I liked the Jennings j-22 better personally. If a round doesn't fire, you have to try a double strike, or tip the barrel and either replace it, or at least pull the bad one out, and then rack the very stiff slide. None of which is something you want to do in an emergency. At least with the jennings all you need to do is easily rack the slide.

I'm not sure why you want a 22 specifically, but I'd much rather have a 32 or a 380. They come in the exact same size of guns, and are a hundred times more reliable and significantly more powerful. Unless you have a girlfriend and 22 is all she will shoot :D I just got mine to upgrade to a Kel-Tec P32 finally...

Also, if you do buy the taurus, don't get any of the plastic pearl grips, they're too fragile and will crack. Ours cracked from recoil alone, just using Remington gold bullet high velocity. Stick to the wood ones or buy some aftermarket rubber ones.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had a Beretta #21A Bobcat for years. I have never carried it in a pants pocket (it is a little thick) but have used an IWB holster, or a coat pocket. It has been very reliable and eats what ever I feed it. I might suggest considering one of the many "slim" .380 models (Ruger, Keltec, etc.) for pants pocket carry. The only downside is ammo availability and price.

Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    I have a p 64 that I pocket carry sometimes now, I was looking for something for my weak hand side to use as a backup. I was thinking a small .22, very light recoil so as to be manageable for my left, and loaded with stingers it should be enough of a punch to work.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've got an NAA with .22 lr and .22 mag cylinders. I keep it loaded with the .22 mags. I love it. I have shot it at the range with the .22 mags and it's just fine. Looks classy, imho, as well.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have to agree w/jason- have owned a cheapo jennings for 15yrs;, yes, it's a pot-metal p.o.s.;It doesn't get any ooh's and aah's at the range, and noboby sells add ons for it. But it always works.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Depends on what you carry it for. In the gravest extreme, sights or range accuracy won't matter, the mugger or a carjacker will be right in your face. What really matters is that it will go bang every time you want it to. Unless you are a LE pro or such, better be a simple one, hence my vote for the Taurus DAO vs Beretta Bobcat DA/SA. One fewer control to worry about (safety) and roughly $100 less. It seems also to have a wider trigger guard opening but I am not sure. These pistols were designed with female customers in mind, a lot of pink options, so if your hands are large, it may be too awkward to grab in a hurry.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    NAA MINI MAG.....always in my pocket......i never leave the house without it.....they are a very good shootin' gun for there size....added the larger grips...
    34y45sl.jpg

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife carries a PT-22 with rosewood grips everyday. We bought it new from Bud's Fishin Hole (he always has a bunch of them in stock for some reason) in Huntington for ~$190 if I remember right.

I wanted her to get a 38spl but she was more comfortable with the 22, go figure.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I have a p 64 that I pocket carry sometimes now, I was looking for something for my weak hand side to use as a backup. I was thinking a small .22, very light recoil so as to be manageable for my left, and loaded with stingers it should be enough of a punch to work.

Hope you don't mind the threadjack... what kind of pocket holster do you use for the p64 carry? Thanks.

Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    Sorry to thread necro, but to answer srad's question, I use a small leather hook edged holster that my wife made for me. It works like a charm and does a nice job of breaking up the outline.

Top Bottom