• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm thiinking of buying a Walther PPS as my CCW. Does anyone have personal experience?

I do not have a PPK, but I have a low quality clone in .22LR. It is very packable, comfortable to carry and shoot, and is quite accurate. The only thing that bothers me is the location on the safety and that you have to flip it "up" instead of the much easier "down".

I can get a 9mm Kahr that is the same size for the same price, and a Kel-Tec 9mm for a lot less (I have a P-11), and the ammo is cheaper too.

But hey, if you like the PPK get it; it's a great gun. Also the Bersa Thunder in .380 and Thunder CCW are great guns, for a lot less money.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    They're a nice feeling handgun - I got to hold one in the shop the last time I visited my brother. Haven't shot one so I can't comment there, but they're pretty nice as far as feel, at least to me..

I hadn't heard of a "walter" before, though :P

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've had a Walther PPS for a few months now and love it. 9mm, fired about 450 rounds through it with no problem. Feels nice, easy to shoot, very accurate, very concealable. Google "PPS Talk" and you'll get to a discussion forum for PPS owners.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Only held one (it was the kinda weird bluish gray colored one). I was impressed with how thin it was. Initially, it felt a little top heavy. For those who have one/have shot one, how does it balance out?

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Only held one (it was the kinda weird bluish gray colored one). I was impressed with how thin it was. Initially, it felt a little top heavy. For those who have one/have shot one, how does it balance out?
    You also need to remember that a full magazine will add weight to the bottom of the pistol.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    You also need to remember that a full magazine will add weight to the bottom of the pistol.

Good point. Although, this gun stood out relative to other empty guns I have held before as feeling more top heavy than usual. That combined with the fact that it takes a single stack mag (which would add weight from 6 rounds) I wondered how much it balanced out. Relatedly, I wondered if people have tried the 7 and 8 round magazines with extended grips and if those balance it out more or if that is even necessary (as you point out it may balance just fine with a loaded magazine).

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I do a lot of draw and dry fire with my PPS, 6 rd magazine, empty. NO balance problem for me. You're right, though, it seems top heavy when first holding it- I think the slide is as least heavy as the slide on my Glock 19, though I haven't weighed them.

But like I said, no problems with balance. It's a swell pistol, IMHO. Just wish extra mags were more readily available.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I do a lot of draw and dry fire with my PPS, 6 rd magazine, empty. NO balance problem for me. You're right, though, it seems top heavy when first holding it- I think the slide is as least heavy as the slide on my Glock 19, though I haven't weighed them.

But like I said, no problems with balance. It's a swell pistol, IMHO. Just wish extra mags were more readily available.

That is good to know. I have one of these, along with a beretta px4 storm subcompact, and springer emp on my short list of potential compact 9mms.

Top Bottom