3rd Annual DNR WINAMAC & NWI INGO Youth Day - SAT 20 JUNE 2015 (Volunteer Info)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Calling on INGO member's help once again!

This will be our 3rd year of partnering with DNR WINAMAC to introduce families about firearms and archery.
    You can see our past info threads here for 2013 and 2014 here. 2014 AAR with picture here.l

This is a starter thread only for members to ask questions and to let me know if you can volunteer your time or ammo or hardware.
    We need more then just firearm instructors. Cooks, photographers, media/flyer distribution, event guides, safety range officers, water/ammo runners, helpers for the skeet area, setup and cleanup crew, and donors (ammo, weapons to use, food).

[strike]There are THREE new things this year for the event.
    1) DNR (Headquarters in Indianapolis) is requiring a sexual offender checks on all event volunteers.
    2) DNR (Headquarters in Indianapolis) is requiring a background check on all volunteers that handle firearms.

More info on what info and how we will give them this to come later.[/strike]

Lastly (this is my own) I would like to see if we can do an all suppressor .22lr rifles this year on the entire range.
    This is going to require us to have on hand around 10 suppressors.
    The reason for this is we had some little kids last year that were a bit 'taken aback' from the initial noise of the rifles plus it makes it a lot easier to hear the instructor. :)

When:
    SATURDAY, 20 JUN 2015 @ 7AM EST
    (That is 6AM CST (ie. Chicago Time))

Schedule of Events
    7 AM EST : Volunteer Sign-in & setup
    8 AM EST: Children & Parents Sign-in
    8:15 EST: Event Starts at various stations
    11:30 AM EST : Cooking beginnings
    Noon EST: Lunch Time
    1:00 PM EST: Event Ends; Range open to public

DNR will be handling the archery portion of this event and have EMTs on site.

So what do I need?

--MANPOWER--
    - Instructors x 12 (10 rifles; 2 skeet)
    - Helpers x
    - Cooks
    - Photographers
    - Safety Range Officers x 4
    - Ammo/Water Runners

-HARDWARE--
    - .22lr rifles that can take a suppressor
    - .22lr suppressors
    - .22lr ammo (we go thru about 8K-9K during the day and 8.4K on hand)* need to verify this amount
    - Targets
    - Safety glasses
    - Shooting Bags
    - Staple guns & Staples
    - Canopies
    - Grills

-FOOD-
    - Hot Dogs
    - Bread
    - Chips
    - Water
    - Kool Aid
    - Ice
    - Plates
    - Napkins
    - Cups

VOLUNTEERS
    25 Yard Bench
    Bench 1 - actaeon27
    Bench 2 - baddyna96 + ms. baddyna96
    Bench 3 - UnionPMedic
    Safety Range Officer - chemteach

50 Yard Bench
    Bench 1 - 1775usmarine
    Bench 2 - gstanley102
    Bench 3 - 451_Detonics
    Bench 4 - Gunbunnies
    Bench 5 - chef larry
    Safety Range Officer - Andy219

100 Yard "Skeet Range"
    Bay 1 Instructor - mrobnoxious1
    Bay 1 Operator - ms. 1775usmarine

Bay 2 Instructor - Ballstater98
    Bay 2 Operator - Ms. Ballstater98

Safety Range Officer - actaeon277's dad

Cook2
    KLB
    volunteer 2

Floaters
    sadclown

Photographer

DONORS
    Ammo count (2015 donations) = 5,025
    actaeon277
    RobbyMaQ
    baddyna96
    1775usmarine
    mgderf
    PMR
    rocdenindy
    12many
    gstanley102
    451_Detonics
    Tom (from Indy)

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As usual, big government coming in to "help" us.

I'm volunteering, I'm usually a .22 instructor. But I'll take any job, even bottle washer.
    I would hope LTCH would be a good enough background check.

And put me down for donation of (500) .22 rounds.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    :rockwoot: In to donate 500 rds .22 lr
    Whether I make it to the shoot or not is another story...
    Hope you guys do ammo collection like last year! Worked great for guys like me down here in Indy.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    Colleen and I will volunteer, myself as an instructor (.22's) and Colleen to help at my station (loading mags, ammo-water running ect). I have a S&W 15/22 and Ruger 10/22 that will accept supressors. As a suggestion, if we can't come up with enough supressors, maybe limit suppressors to the 25yrd range? Also, I can donate 500 rds of .22 and some food and/or drinks.

As Actaeon said, does an LTCH suffice for a background check?

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Honestly we really want to know more about the backround checks before we commit. Im mildly offended. They asked us to help. That is alot of info to give from our group. Its sad to say it but seems like fishing from the .gov a bit to me. Ive already gone though a backround check to buy my guns. I can sorta see checking my name for the sex offender list but its still a strech. Suddenly we are not good enough.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    [strike]Please not this is not a DNR WINAMAC requirement but something that DNR Headquarters (Indy) has started this year.
    DNR WINAMAC has no details on it yet or why it was started or how the process will go.
    I suspect that our event might be the first one to use the new process.[/strike]

Update background checks for THIS event will not be required as of 27 JAN 2015.

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I'll do like last year, centerfire at the 50. I've got 500 5.56 and 500ish 7.62x39. Last year went pretty well as far as setup and all, one thing maybe I'd change from last year is we had a boat load of guns at my station. Maybe if we trimmed it down to just 2 ARs and 2 AKs that way we have one of each as a backup. I just feel like last year I had way more guns than were needed on the line and while I don't think anybody would walk off with anything... I just don't want to be put in that position. If we can keep it to a handful 4, 5, 6 or so, I'd appreciate it.

As for the background checks and all I've got no problem doing it, just need the details.

Also, we need to get the flyers and the FB page up again, somebody wake up Andy.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Put my wife down for skeet helper as of now, and myself for 22 coach on 50yds and 500rds 22. We should have t-shirts so everyone knows who is in charge. If the suppressors can't be found I can have my marlin 60 again.

Last edited:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Also if they're going to require that we jump through hoops, we need to press them for T-shirts. Just my opinion.

We agree :) I just dont like that they can now match our real names to our ingo names with out a warrent. I willing to guess not many have thought of that. I am also far more suspect that this is coming from the big state folks. Hell I do several checks a year so Im not worried about passing it. Im worried about where and who my info goes to

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Please not this is not a DNR WINAMAC requirement but something that DNR Headquarters (Indy) has started this year.
    DNR WINAMAC has no details on it yet or why it was started or how the process will go.
    I suspect that our event might be the first one to use the new process.
    It doesn't matter where it originated. It is an insult.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    DNT Policy change

[STRIKE]Whether one agrees or disagrees with DNR's policy is irrelevant in this thread. And future posts on this topic will be trashed.
    It has been made known. Each of you must decide for yourself whether the risk (loss of rights related to background checks) is worth the reward (Introducing shooting to children, and perhaps giving them a taste of responsibility to help thwart the future need for background checks).[/STRIKE]

As of Jan 27, there will be no background checks required by DNR. see Jedi's post here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0-june-2014-volunteer-info-2.html#post5599947

If anyone wishes to discuss this policy/topic further, please take it to another thread. This thread is for the logistics & organizing of the event only. Politics need to go elsewhere.

Last edited:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Whether one agrees or disagrees with DNR's policy is irrelevant in this thread. And future posts on this topic will be trashed.
    It has been made known. Each of you must decide for yourself whether the risk (loss of rights related to background checks) is worth the reward (Introducing shooting to children, and perhaps giving them a taste of responsibility to help thwart the future need for background checks).

If anyone wishes to discuss this topic further, please take it to another thread.

This thread is for the logistics & organizing of the event only. Politics need to go elsewhere.

You know what Jedi Because of the post above and the fact that appearently not knowing what you will have to submit is not relavent to volenteering you can count us out. Good luck with the kids and frankly Im just about done with the new ingo. Im not a site supporter anymore for a reason. Its become all buisness and no soul. There are good people but the new mods have just ruinied it. The southerners dont know crap about all that we put into this.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have 2 SCAR16s that I think would do well recoil wise for even the smallest kids. They can both have suppressors put on them, and have settings just for suppressors so they won't burn the suppressors out. I also have an Arsenal AK that I would volunteer. If we are going to let the kids use the big boy guns, they might as well be the coolest big boy guns.

Also, I think Shirts are a great idea.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll toss in 500 rounds of .22Lr.
    I might be able to make it 1000, but I'll need to check the stock.
    Count on at least 500 from me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom