Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where:
    Winamac DNR Range
    Rifle/Shotgun/Handgun Range @ the 25' yard Range
    1493 w. 500 n, Winamac, IN 46996
    Use GPS coordinates of 41.134988, -86.640729 in MapQuest or GoogleMaps as the address WILL NOT work.
    (574) 946-4422
    PDF Map: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Winamac_map.pdf
    The range is right above circle #4 on the map.
    You can see it from the side of the road. DO NOT follow the sign for the SKEET RANGE that goes EAST INTO the park.

HOURS OF OPERATION
    APR - AUG
    8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 6:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)

SEP - MAR
    8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)

How to find us on the range?
    Look for us on the 25 yard range.

When:
    SAT, 25 SEP 2016
    Time: 9AM CST/10AM EST

Plywood Donation for the Range (WINAMAC ONLY)
    DNR can only put new plywood up on Mondays. Our group typically leaves the plywood HEAVILY damaged once we are done. (Tons of shooting ). The plywood must be full size 4'x8' in size ANY thickness. Wooden post should be 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length.

Donations in 2010: 26 plywood
    Donations in 2011: 37 plywood & 16 post & 7 brooms & dust pans (plastic)
    Donations in 2012: 57 plywood & 16 post & 6 dust pans (metal) & 7 brooms
    Donations in 2013: 19 plywood & 6 post
    Donations in 2014: 27 plywood & 6 brooms
    Donations in 2015: (none)
    Donations in 2016: 17 plywood

NWI INGO Plywood/Post Person:
    This person will be in charge of taking the plywood/post to the event. Jedi will either meet with the person before hand to provide the funds to purchase the items or reimburse the person at the event.

Current Pot: $64.03 as of 01 AUG 2016

FAQ:
    Q: What should I bring?

Your firearms and some ammo, off course! Also your PAPER targets ONLY, a staple gun (to hang the targets), eye & ear protection. No full-autos are allowed on the range but everything else (handgun, rifle, shotgun) is.

Q: What should I bring (Non Firearm Related)?

Here is what some members bring in addition to their firearms to help them during the day.
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!
    - Sunscreen
    - Folding/Camping Chairs (there is only one two-person bench on the 25' yard range)
    - Shooting mat
    - Binoculars/Spotting Scope
    - Small tool kit to adjust sights/quick fix firearm
    - Eye and Hearing protection
    - Staple gun to hang the targets to the wooden boards
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!

Q: I see member "John Doe" is bringing his 1911, can I shoot it?

Most members bring their guns to shot and allow others to shoot them as well. If you see a gun on the list you would like to shoot, ask the owner (post it) what type of ammo brand they like so you could use it. Some members supply the ammo. Be considerate of others and bring some more if you can so everyone can try the firearm.

Q: What about safety after all this is a public range? I have heard bad stuff about public ranges.

While the range is open to everyone typically what occurs when we go has been that we (NWI INGO) end up taking over the 25 and 50 yard ranges. This in turn has helped us to police ourselves and ensured our own safety. We setup a table with the "NWI INGO Range Rules" and just ensure that any new shooters we have with us are being supervised.

Q: Do I have to shoot only from the bench sitting down?

There are no rules for "how" to shoot at the range.
    You can shoot by...
    - sitting from the bench
    - standing from the bench
    - sitting cross-leg from the bench
    - laying on the floor from the bench

Q: What size plywood can we donate?

The range can only take full sheet 4'x8' plywood in ANY thickness due to how it is nailed to the wooden post they have.

Q: What size wooden post can we donate?

The plywood is nailed to two 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length post to keep them up. The 25 yard range uses a total of 6 post, the 50 yard range uses a total of 12 post, 100 yard range uses a total of 8 post and the 200 yard range uses a total of 2 post.

Q: What is the cost to come?

The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range. The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

Bring eye/ear protection. If you can bring some snacks to share, if not that is OK too. If you have an odd caliber toy then its generally considered good form to bring extra ammo for that gun and share that but its reasonable to limit the amount of shooting if the ammo is expensive.

The group (INGO NWI) as a whole gives a donation of plywood to the range each time we go. The chairperson for the plywood pays for the plywood and brings it and takes donations from others for it.

Q: I live in IL and would like to attend the event. Can I bring my guns as well?

Everyone is welcome to attend. Winamac is a free Indiana public range.

Effective 01 JUL 2011 a new Indiana state law allows a person who does not have an Indiana Handgun License to transport a handgun from his/her home to a gun range if the following two conditions are met:
    1) Handgun is unloaded
    2) Handgun is in a secure container (ie. locked)
    As such IL residents you can now bring your handguns to the IN range in addition to your long guns.

Q: How often are these held?
    We hold them once a month from MAR to NOV.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ---WHO IS COMING--
    3 as of 21 SEP 2016
    BDS JIN
    One Shot One Kill
    actaeon277

--LOSERS--
    Jedi (Campaigning for Hillary in Chicago)
    gundawg (Campaigning for Hillary in Valpo)

Last edited:

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I hope to get to shoot with the folks here sometime but I'll be doing the Valpo show that weekend.

Never shot at Winamac. Doesn't look like it's that much farther down the road from J-P.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    A possible and if I do make it will bring my S&W 3906 to maybe finally get the red dot zeroed, probably the S&W 5946, and one of the CZ's all 9mm.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I'm in. I'll bring whatever; for sure bringing my laminated 91/30 mosin and Winchester sx3 12G.
    Will also be bringing my wheelybird automatic trap, bring shells, and clays if you wanna shoot more than a mag or two (Walmart $6 clays and federal bulk both cycle fine in my machines).
    I'm inclined to allow a lot of free shooting in exchange for wing shooting lessons or tips.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. I only stayed 3 or so hours. I'm getting old and tire easily. :)
    That and an early start time tomorrow.

Saw BDS Jin, and he had 2 guests. 1st time shooters.
    Good on him. I always seem to see him introducing new people to guns, and he's very safe. :).

Also saw One Shot and guest (wife?).

There was someone there said his son was on INGO. But he didn't know his screen name.
    Mostly I just played with Black Betty on the 100.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I wanted to take Mom to put a gun in her hand for the first time, but she chickened out. Said she would be embarrassed around the other people if she was bad. I told her it's not really even about how good or bad she is-- it's more about her getting used to the feeling of a revolver in her hand. Maybe when Point Blank or whatever opens up in Merrillville. She can't deal with the steps at Blythe's.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wanted to take Mom to put a gun in her hand for the first time, but she chickened out. Said she would be embarrassed around the other people if she was bad. I told her it's not really even about how good or bad she is-- it's more about her getting used to the feeling of a revolver in her hand. Maybe when Point Blank or whatever opens up in Merrillville. She can't deal with the steps at Blythe's.

Tell her MOST people at the range are friendly.
    And MOST people remember they were beginners.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    She's not alone. My wife that Actaeon mentioned attended is very shy about shooting in front of others and I had to nearly beg her to get her to start shooting that day. One day she had a shot hit the dirt several feet below the board (jerky trigger finger, which I'm helping her with since) and said the people next to us have her dirty looks and she has been against shooting in front of others since. Got her to try again yesterday, and with a little advice had her at least hitting the board and starting to get some on paper.

We both thank you Actaeon for the drinks, was great for us unprepared folks!
    Also thanks for BDS Jin for letting me run a mag through your surpressed AR, nice can you have (for the gun that is).

Top Bottom