51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    CORRECT DATE IS SUN, 26 MAR 2017
    Where:
    Winamac DNR Range
    Rifle/Shotgun/Handgun Range @ the 25' yard Range
    1493 w. 500 n, Winamac, IN 46996
    Use GPS coordinates of 41.134988, -86.640729 in MapQuest or GoogleMaps as the address WILL NOT work.
    (574) 946-4422
    PDF Map: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Winamac_map.pdf
    The range is right above circle #4 on the map.
    You can see it from the side of the road. DO NOT follow the sign for the SKEET RANGE that goes EAST INTO the park.

HOURS OF OPERATION

SEP - MAR
    8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)

[strike]APR - AUG
    8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 6:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)[/strike]

How to find us on the range?
    Look for us on the 25 yard range.

When:
    SUN, 26 MAR 2017
    Time: 9AM CST/10AM EST

Plywood Donation for the Range (WINAMAC ONLY)
    DNR can only put new plywood up on Mondays. Our group typically leaves the plywood HEAVILY damaged once we are done. (Tons of shooting ). The plywood must be full size 4'x8' in size ANY thickness. Wooden post should be 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length.

Donations in 2010: 26 plywood
    Donations in 2011: 37 plywood & 16 post & 7 brooms & dust pans (plastic)
    Donations in 2012: 57 plywood & 16 post & 6 dust pans (metal) & 7 brooms
    Donations in 2013: 19 plywood & 6 post
    Donations in 2014: 27 plywood & 6 brooms
    Donations in 2015: (none)
    Donations in 2016: 17 plywood

NWI INGO Plywood/Post Person: :dunno:
    This person will be in charge of taking the plywood/post to the event. Jedi will either meet with the person before hand to provide the funds to purchase the items or reimburse the person at the event.

Current Pot: $64.27 as of 23 FEB 2017

FAQ:
    Q: What should I bring?

Your firearms and some ammo, off course! Also your PAPER targets ONLY, a staple gun (to hang the targets), eye & ear protection. No full-autos are allowed on the range but everything else (handgun, rifle, shotgun) is.

Q: What should I bring (Non Firearm Related)?

Here is what some members bring in addition to their firearms to help them during the day.
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!
    - Sunscreen
    - Folding/Camping Chairs (there is only one two-person bench on the 25' yard range)
    - Shooting mat
    - Binoculars/Spotting Scope
    - Small tool kit to adjust sights/quick fix firearm
    - Eye and Hearing protection
    - Staple gun to hang the targets to the wooden boards
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!

Q: I see member "John Doe" is bringing his 1911, can I shoot it?

Most members bring their guns to shot and allow others to shoot them as well. If you see a gun on the list you would like to shoot, ask the owner (post it) what type of ammo brand they like so you could use it. Some members supply the ammo. Be considerate of others and bring some more if you can so everyone can try the firearm.

Q: What about safety after all this is a public range? I have heard bad stuff about public ranges.

While the range is open to everyone typically what occurs when we go has been that we (NWI INGO) end up taking over the 25 and 50 yard ranges. This in turn has helped us to police ourselves and ensured our own safety. We setup a table with the "NWI INGO Range Rules" and just ensure that any new shooters we have with us are being supervised.

Q: Do I have to shoot only from the bench sitting down?

There are no rules for "how" to shoot at the range.
    You can shoot by...
    - sitting from the bench
    - standing from the bench
    - sitting cross-leg from the bench
    - laying on the floor from the bench

Q: What size plywood can we donate?

The range can only take full sheet 4'x8' plywood in ANY thickness due to how it is nailed to the wooden post they have.

Q: What size wooden post can we donate?

The plywood is nailed to two 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length post to keep them up. The 25 yard range uses a total of 6 post, the 50 yard range uses a total of 12 post, 100 yard range uses a total of 8 post and the 200 yard range uses a total of 2 post.

Q: What is the cost to come?

The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range. The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

Bring eye/ear protection. If you can bring some snacks to share, if not that is OK too. If you have an odd caliber toy then its generally considered good form to bring extra ammo for that gun and share that but its reasonable to limit the amount of shooting if the ammo is expensive.

The group (INGO NWI) as a whole gives a donation of plywood to the range each time we go. The chairperson for the plywood pays for the plywood and brings it and takes donations from others for it.

Q: I live in IL and would like to attend the event. Can I bring my guns as well?

Everyone is welcome to attend. Winamac is a free Indiana public range.

Effective 01 JUL 2011 a new Indiana state law allows a person who does not have an Indiana Handgun License to transport a handgun from his/her home to a gun range if the following two conditions are met:
    1) Handgun is unloaded
    2) Handgun is in a secure container (ie. locked)
    As such IL residents you can now bring your handguns to the IN range in addition to your long guns.

Q: How often are these held?
    We hold them once a month from MAR to NOV. See link in my signature for additional dates this event will be held.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    --ATTENDANCE--
    13 as of 22 MAR 2017

1775usmarine + 1
    daddymikey1975 + 5
    JamesV + 2
    Spike Jones 5 2002
    Audie Murphy

LOSERS
    Ballstarter98
    actaeon277 (millions of welfare babies depend on him working)
    lonehooiser (has to go be a father)

MAYBE he is a boy, maybe he is a girl
    Bill B +3
    Sadclown +2
    Jedi

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    --EQUIPMENT LIST--
    Handguns
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm full size and shield. Will have some ammo. (daddymikey1975)

DPMS AR - 15 nothing special, but will have some ammo (daddymikey1975)
    Hi point 996TS in 9mm - will have some ammo (daddymikey1975)
    Mossberg 12ga tactical shotgun - will have some ammo. (daddymikey1975)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I'm in plus 5. I will be bringing all of my children with me. They've all been behind a trigger and do a decent job with safety and stuff. I believe they're ready for a meet snd shoot.

I'll be bringing:

Handguns
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm full size and shield. Will have some ammo.

DPMS AR - 15 nothing special, but will have some ammo
    Hi point 996TS in 9mm - will have some ammo
    Mossberg 12ga tactical shotgun - will have some ammo.

Once we figure out how many of us are going to come out and play, I might be able to help with food.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I would love to be there but on that date I have an important place to be... about 8,000 miles away, laying on the beach looking over the South China Sea with my sweetheart and love of my life. Capture.JPG

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Poor guy on vacation.

We like to go in February to beat the 0 degree weather but this year was delayed a bit. Nothing like reading the NWI weather forecast on Feb 15 for snow and ice while enjoying 85 degrees at the beach. :): We are hoping to get a gun range visit in while we are in the Philippines but it is a two hour bus ride away. Do-able but don't know if we can fit it into the schedule.

Top Bottom