Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Range report!

Actually a "back porch" report, as Sunday was a rainy nasty day to walk down to the range.

Anyway, based on the recommendations of the great folks of INGO, my father and I put in an order for two pairs of Radians Pro-Amps from SafetyGlassesUSA.com

They can be found here: Radians Pro Amp Electronic Earmuff

Ordered last Wednesday at 12:30pm, they arrived on Friday morning! We also ordered several sets of shooting glasses, as most are only $5, and are a great value.

Fit and finish is "good". I like how the headband folds over the muffs, making them very compact for carrying in a range bag. The headband is "CoolMax" material, although I haven't sweat on it yet. There is a plastic-type material that coveres the top of the headband that seems rather thin and prone to tearing-- time will tell how well it holds up. I like the grayish/dark green color with the black headband. It also came with an extra set of "mic covers", in case one gets lost.

Battery access is via panels on the outside of each muff. Six AAA batteries were included. I prefer this, as I've heard there can be moisture problems when battery access is inside the muffs.

I haven't worn them for more than 30 minutes, but they seem very comfortable and seal tightly around each ear. Sound amplification is MORE than adequate. I turned them just pass "ON". If I turned them up any louder I could probably hear the neighbors conversations.

Although these are mostly for pistol shooting, we figured we'd test them using the AR. If they work with 5.56, they will work for 9mm. It took some getting used to, because you "feel" like you're not wearing any hearing protection at all. But with a pull of the trigger, you hear a normally muted bang. Then the muffs "reactivate" and you can hear the echo through the woods. Its very strange. Even though the AR was still 'loud' and you definately heard a bang, it wasn't damaging or making my ears hurt or ring.

These seem like a huge step up in terms of "range comfort". I would recommend them to anyone who spends more a few hours on the range a year. (and you SHOULD. . . .)

Happy shooting!

1zme4gy.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom