Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    fp-dvd3.jpg

For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol 3-DVD set with bonus CDRom. Christmas night, after everyone else was sleeping, I popped in Disc 1 and here is what I found:

It appers this was filmed during a "live" class, as you can hear students asking questions at times. At first my thought was "Wow, I just saved several hundred dollars by getting the DVD and not traveling to Tennessee, as this is just like sitting in the class". Then I smacked myself on the forehead. There is NO substitute for REAL, LIVE training. A DVD can't diagnose any issues I'm having with grip or trigger press. But watching the lecture portion was very beneficial.

I would equate this level of training to something like Gunsite 150. Doctrines may be different, but the topics covered were very similar.

Disc 1 starts just like an actual pistol lecture would start. James Yeager is the one doing the talking through the entire set. He introduces himself and tells some of his relative background.

He starts with the basics of marksmanship. He then goes into detail with each technique, explaining why they feel each one is the best. I'm sure all the things he spoke of on Disc 1 would be put into practice on the live range the next day if this were an actual class.

Disc 2 is mostly made up of video 1-on-1 with Yeager on the range. He demonstrates many things, including how to clear failures, how to shoot on the move, and how to shoot at your own speed.

Disc 3 is mostly the lecture on Mindset. This was by far my favorite portion. So many of the things he said just made sense! Discussion on the Colonel's "Color Codes of Awareness" and Boyd's OODA Loop were especially good. He didn't just stop at explaing OODA, but went on to explain how one can effectively restart the attackers Loop.

I think part of my enjoyment came from the fact that many of Yeager's and TR's philosophies are also my own. Opinions are opinions, but its nice when those opinions can be shared. There is one segment where Yeager is being "inverviewed" by someone off camera. The interviewer is asking questions like "How do you feel about this popular technique?" or "Why do you prefer this product?" At one point the interviewer asks "What kind of gun should people carry?" Yeager responds "I personally believe that all combat handguns should be Glocks, and that all Glocks should be 9mm's, and that all Glock 9mm's should be model 19's". I thought it was great!

It also came with a bonus CDRom, which included a .pdf of the lecture handout, a .pdf of a recommended practice target, and links to other Tactical Response websites.

I would recommend this DVD set to anyone who has taken at least the NRA Basic course, but maybe hasn't yet taken a "big name school" class. This is a good "half-step" that will show you exactly what to expect when attending of these classes in person. This will also give you a leg-up on the information that will be presented in class.

I am now very eager to get out there and "tweak" some of my techniques on the range!

For more information visit: Tactical Response Gear

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom