• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    UncleMikespaddleholster001.jpg

When I picked up my Springfield Armory XD9sc a couple weeks ago, included in the trade was the standard XD gear holster, a Deep Comfort IWB holster, and a Kholster IWB. I'll be providing reviews on the latter two later. I'm not going to waste anyone's time on the SA holster. Suffice to say it's sufficient to wear the gun to the store to buy another. Which is what I did. I wear IWB only when I have to, so was hoping to buy a new OWB holster quickly. The answer came in the form of the Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement Open Top Kydex holster that is the subject of this review.​

I've always been a fan of Uncle Mike's nylon holsters. I think they make good field holsters, and have a number of them in various sizes. I've always found them perfectly adequate to carry a new gun until I had pennies saved up for the leather I prefer. I hadn't intended to buy this holster, but the salesman recommended it, and after looking at it I thought it would be worth a try. I liked the fact that, unlike the nylon holsters, it was sized specifically for my gun, and I liked the fact that it came with both belt loop and paddle hardware. I've never been a fan of paddle holsters, but figured I'd just replace the paddle with the belt loop. Can't go too wrong for $25, right?​

Turns out I haven't replaced the paddle. This is actually the first paddle holster I've tried that I flat out like. It carries the gun very comfortably, reasonably close to the body, and is very stable. Almost as stable as the pancake style that is my favorite. The gun is carried at the nearly vertical rake I prefer, though it can be adjusted for a butt or muzzle forward rake. It's carried mid-height, actually just the right height for me. The gun doesn't try to peek out under a cover shirt, doesn't dig into car seats, and the butt isn't poking ribs or so high I feel like a contortionist trying to get a firing grip. It sits at what is, for me, the perfect height for this particular gun. Speaking of a firing grip, this holster permits a full firing grip on the gun, with absolutely no interference from the holster itself. Very nice :)

UncleMikespaddleholster002.jpg

As you can see in the pic above, the holster is cut low in the front, supposedly to allow a quicker draw. Doesn't appear to me to make much difference, though. The holster is too stiff to allow the gun to be brought forward until you've cleared it. Nevertheless, the holster allows for a very fast draw. You can also tell by the pic that the holster carries the gun fairly close to the body. I can easily get my thumb in to get a grip, but the gun isn't sticking way out to the side, either, as some other paddle holsters are prone to do.​

UncleMikespaddleholster003.jpg

Retention is provided by two screws below the trigger guard, easily seen in the picture above. Tension is user adjustable all the way from basically none at all to you aren't getting the gun out without dynamite tight. Tinker with it till it's where you want it, and you are done. Also evident is the holster's molding. As I mentioned, unlike many of Uncle Mike's holsters this one is not intended to be used for multiple guns. It's made specifically for this one gun. The molding is very closely contoured to the gun except for the front sight channel, which is ample and doesn't interfere with the sight, and I don't think possibly could. The molding not only adds a bit of visual interest, it contributes to the stability of the gun inasmuch as it doesn't allow it to move around. At all.​

UncleMikespaddleholster004.jpg

On the back of the holster you can see the two hooks which latch onto your pants to hold the holster steady. This they do very well. The gun does not flop, does not move up or down, does not move back and forth on the belt. It's pretty much locked into place. At the same time it's fairly easy to put the holster on and remove it. You grasp the butt of the gun, and kind of rotate the holster on. To remove it, you grasp the butt of the gun, pull it into your body a bit which forces the muzzle away from your leg, and rotate the butt of the gun to the rear. The holster comes off with just a little wiggling. It's not going to come off without conscious effort, but you don't have to fight with it, either. Very nice balance. Also, look at the paddle itself. It's wide, which contributes to stability, and short, which contributes to comfort. The paddle simply does not poke me in the thigh, even when climbing into my car and sitting down, which is when most other paddle holsters have jabbed me most uncomfortably. Also note that the edges are rounded. They are not sharp, and there are no points to dig in. Even when it's riding on bare skin, this paddle has not pinched me even once. Another first for paddle holsters.​

To sum up, I have become an unexpected fan of this holster. It's the first paddle holster I've had that I haven't had some gripe or other with. It conceals well beneath a cover shirt, allows a fast and positive draw, is very stable, and very comfortable. I've got no problem recommending it wholeheartedly, at least as made for the XD9sc. I'll still pick up a leather holster sooner or later, simply because nothing beats the look and feel of a nice leather holster, but there's no rush to do so now. Even after I get a leather holster, this one will still see regular use.​

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom