• Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After recently purchasing a Streamlight PolyTac LED from Cwood @ Indiana Supply Depot, I was asked to do a head-to-head review of it and the Surefire G2LED.

Of course, I obliged.

Yesterday I had the chance to sit down and go over these two lights side-by-side. Currently, I am using the PolyTac as my M4 weaponlight, and lovemywoods is using the G2LED as his M4 weaponlight. Although they are interfaced differently, they are bone stock and the lights themselves have not been modified.

28137k.jpg

2v806y9.jpg

64e4b7.jpg

25fljbq.jpg

First, let's go over some basic specs from the manufacturers:

Surefire G2LED - Surefire G2 LED Flashlight

• Max Output: 80 lumens
    • Runtime: 12 hours
    • Length: 5.14 inches
    • Weight: 4.10 ounces
    • Battery: Two 123A lithiums
    • Tailcap: Push for momentary, twist for constant
    • Price: ~$58
    Streamlight PolyTac LED - Tactical Hand-Held Series - PolyTac LED | Streamlight

• Max Output: 120 lumens
    • Runtime: 3 hours
    • Length: 5.22 inches
    • Weight: 4.10 ounces
    • Battery: Two 123A lithiums
    • Tailcap: Push for momentary, click for constant
    • Price: ~$35

Up close, there are differences in fit-n-finish. The G2LED has much cleaner lines, and the workmanship is excellent. The newer models even feature an aluminum head. The PolyTac does have some monior finish inconsistencies and I had to pick off a small piece of plastic flashing when I first took it out of the box. Advantage: G2LED

The price of the PolyTac is what initially drew me to it. At almost half that of the G2LED, I wanted to see if it could stack up at least half as much. At $35, I feel less worried about damaging it, and I can more easily buy multiples for different roles or locations. Advantage: PolyTac

I have yet to run down the batteries on either light, and didn't conduct a formal test. Going by the specs, 12 hours beats 3 hours everytime. Advantage: G2LED

These lights are just about identical in size and weight. With your eyes closed, you'd be hard pressed to tell which one was dropped in your hand. Advantage: None

They both use the exact same expensive CR123 lithium batteries (x2). With the longer runtimes, I'm not as worried about battery replacement cost. Advantage: None

In standard configuration, they have slightly different tailcap operations. The PolyTac has a clickie tailcap, while the G2LED must be twisted to remain on. This is going to be more about user preference than anything, as there are good reasons for having each type. For my use, I prefer the clickie tailcap of the PolyTac. Advantage: PolyTac

Which one is brighter? While the PolyTac is rated for 120 lumens and the G2LED for 80, I wanted to see what that looked like side-by-side.

Surefire G2LED on the LEFT / Streamlight PolyTac on the RIGHT
    343qis4.jpg

*yes, I'm pointing rifles at the house. BCGs were removed for picture.

The difference was not as noticeable as I would've thought. While the G2LED had a more 'white/blue' hue to it, the PolyTac center was slightly larger. The PolyTac also seemed more intense, even when reflecting off the wood and logs. Advantage: PolyTac

I was unfortunately not able to make my camera take a workable picture of it, but light 'throw' was quite good for both lights. The PolyTac illuminated the far-away 6' bird feeder slightly brighter. Advantage: PolyTac

Overall, I am happy with my decision to run the Streamlight PolyTac LED. I must be careful with how I spend my "gear money", and I feel like I'm getting a great value for my money. The Surefire G2LED is an excellent light, and if its in your budget, I'd highly recommend it. It's an especially good value when you compare it to other Surefire offerings.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just in case anyone was curious. . . .

My weaponlight system is composed of the Streamlight PolyTac LED in a Viking Tactics VTAC mount. This is an extremely inexpensive and simple system. The VTAC mount is slightly offset, which tucks the light nicely in between the top and side rail. Although it is made of polymer, the mount is rock solid and doesn't move at all. Activation is made with the support-side thumb.

At ~$35 for the PolyTac, and ~$24 for the VTAC mount, you're looking at an entire weaponlight system for under $60.

2rhxlsi.jpg

foejxz.jpg

lovemywoods' weaponlight system is composed of the Surefire G2LED in a Surefire M79 Universal Clamp Mount (~$40), attached to a Surefire UM tailcap with tape switch (~$95). This allows the user to control the light very precisly with simple pressure on the VFG.

108fst5.jpg

b9bvab.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom