Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    tru-spec-24-7-pants.jpg

In the past, I've tried several different brands of range pants, from 5.11 to cheapie brands made for paintball. Therefore, when I was looking for a new pair of khaki range pants recently, I decided to try something new.

After reading several reviews (and YouTube videos :n00b:), I decided on the 24-7 pants by Tru-Spec. They possessed several features that I found to be lacking on other pants, and was curious to see if they could serve double-duty as regular cargo pants.

YouTube - Tru-Spec 24-7 Series Pant by U.S. Cavalry

After wearing them for the first time at last weekend's MDFI class, I wanted to share my thoughts. What follows is a list of features that I personally look for, and how the 24-7 pant fills those needs.

Material

The 65/35 PolyCotton RipStop is very tough, yet lightweight and breathable. The RipStop pattern isn't so bold that it's noticeable. This blend also resists shrinking in the wash. I HATED when my all-cotton 5.11 pants shrank and faded after each washing. The flap pockets also do not deform in the wash like many all-cotton pants do either. The 24-7 pants came out of my wash just like they were new-- no shrinking, no deforming, no fading.

Pockets

The trend in range pants these days is to add a pocket for everything. Having multiple pockets is good-- to a point. I didn't want pockets down by my ankles (who would put an AR mag down there anyway?), and I didn't want small slash pockets directly on the front of the pants, making them look like the BACK of the pants. I also didn't want cargo pockets that ballooned out, especially when they're empty.

The 24-7 has 10 symmetrical pockets. And they are actually useful. I put my cell phone in the small top cargo pocket. I put my wallet in the main cargo pocket.

There is even a dedicated knife pocket located right where I normally carry them-- on the side, in between the front and rear pockets. This keeps your knife from interfearing with access to your main front/rear pockets. Unfortunately, my Sypderco Waved Endura was too wide to fit, as was my Buck Strider (just barely). I did clip my Streamlight Microstream in the left knife pocket, and they would fit any handheld Surefire-type flashlight just fine.

The 2 large cargo pockets have very cool gusseted pleats that are held down with small pieces of velcro when not in use. This makes the pockets very slim and unnoticeable. However, if you should need to fill them, the gussets open up to reveal a TON of space inside. There are also 2 inner pockets that can accommodate AR or pistol mags, as well as other small items, securely. The gusset feature is also found on the smaller cargo pockets, as well as the rear pockets. The rear pockets also have a flap (as opposed to simple slash pockets), which I prefer.

The knees are double reinforced and have openings (on the inside) for adding neoprene knee pads. Although I currently have the 5.11 inserts that I could use, it occurred to me and lovemywoods that inexpensive mousepads, cut to fit, would work just as well. :yesway:

Comfort

Many range pants, such as 5.11s, attempt to add comfort to their pants by adding sections of elastic waistband. Tru-Spec takes it to the next level with their "slider waistband". This gives a more finished appearance, yet allows flexibility for movement, carrying IWB, or having seconds at dinner. :D This is by far the best thing about these pants. While seated in the car, my 5.11s dig into my stomach (not entirely 5.11's fault :D). With the Tru-Specs, they feel much more like regular casual khaki pants. The Tru-Specs also feature a zipper fly, as opposed to the annoying button fly found on my cheapie pants :noway:. As mentioned above, the blended material makes for comfort year-round.

Value

Range pants can cost anywhere from $10-20 (cheapie or off-brand), $30-40 (5.11, Propper, etc.), to $50+ (Blawkhawk and others).

I bought these Tru-Specs on sale for $29.99 from Tru-Spec 24-7 PolyCotton RipStop Pants - 1060, 1061, 1062, 1064, 1063 . Shipping was $9.95, bringing my total to just under $40. Although this puts them squarely in the middle of the price range, I've found that I got much more than what other similarly priced pants offer. When you consider that these can also serve double-duty as regular cargo pants, and when you compare that to the cost of regular blue jeans or khakis, the price seems even more reasonable. It took 6 business days for my pants to arrive, and would recommend Southern Police Equipment to others.

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...w_tru-spec_24-7_polycotton_ripstop_pants.html

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom