Not open for further replies.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I helped INGO member ‘esrice’ do some ammunition testing this weekend and really enjoyed shooting and gathering the data to determine the capability of the equipment (and as always the shooter!) I recently acquired a Millett scope and wanted to test it out.

The Millett DMS-1 rifle sight is a 1x-4x red dot scope. For some shooters, it adds some versatility to the traditional 1x red dot scopes. It would be a good choice for someone who wanted a close quarters type scope but also wanted to shoot some modest distances, such as in the Appleseed program.

I wondered whether the point-of-impact moved as you changed the power setting. I decided to run a simple test. The steps were:

1. Zero the scope at 4x (highest magnification).

2. Shoot groups of rounds at different magnifications; 4x, 3x, 2x, 1x on a 50 yard course.

3. Compare the average group center to determine if there was any significant movement.

I decided to use both .22 and .223 ammo. Since I had a Ceiner conversion bolt in my daughter’s Colt 6920, I started by testing the .22LR performance. CCI Mini-Mag HP ammo was used. I shot 15 rounds into each of four targets. I was using a shooting bench, rifle rest, and sandbag. I shot down the length of a dam on our property. I was using a 15 round Black Dog Machine Company magazine. I ran the Ceiner bolt on the dry side with only minimal lube. The targets were 9” paper plates with 1.5” orange dots on the centers.

It was a cool, clear day. There was a slight breeze blowing from left to right. The target stand was in the shade. Here are some pictures to help you get an idea of what I did.

1. Looking downrange across the shooting bench.
    212ze6r.jpg

2 Bench setup
    9743r6.jpg

The reticle of the Millet sight is a 10 MOA doughnut with a 1 MOA dot in the center. I’m really getting to like this combination. The 1 MOA dot allows the shooter to achieve some precise aiming. The doughnut helped my older eyes stay on target. The reticle is illuminated red. For the shooting today, I left the power off giving me a nice black reticle and dot on a white target. At the 1x setting the 1 MOA dot could get on the orange target center. I had some difficulty keeping my eyes focused on the orange dot at that distance with no magnification.

3. Close-up of the rifle and scope
    s2752a.jpg

4. Close-up of the Ceiner .22 kit
    2a5hmb5.jpg

I shot a total of 74 rounds. I had 2 stove piped casings and one failure to feed. The nose of the round hit the side of the breech and bent the casing slightly.

5. Stovepipe - .22LR round
    nyzm9s.jpg

6. Results of the .22LR course of fire
    jggx8i.jpg

I saw some point-of-impact movement at the 3x and 2x settings. Mostly left about an inch. It was hard to say at 1x as my vision was a significant factor.

7. Conclusions using .22LR
    rtnvcx.jpg

I had some factory Winchester .223 ammo around so I used it. For this type of test, it was more important to use the same ammo throughout, rather than what type of ammo was used.

8. Ammo used for the .223 testing
    25jjepg.jpg

I ran out of the 1.5” orange dots so I combined 4 smaller dots to create a target center about 1.75” across. I was able to re-zero at the 4x setting with only two 3-round groups! The windage and elevation dials were very precise. I shot 10 round groups with the .223 ammo to save a few dollars.

9. Results using .223 ammunition
    125kikk.jpg

Similar outcome as with the .22LR ammunition except that the flatter shooting .223 stayed grouped tighter. There was about an inch shift left at the 3x and 2 x settings. I shot the 1x portion pretty well with two outliers pulling the group slightly. It seemed like the 4x and 1x settings stayed together better than the two settings in-between.

10. Conclusions using .223 rounds
    27xjpr7.jpg

Bottom line: For the anticipated shooting situations I might be in, the accuracy of the Millett sight as it is moved between magnification settings is acceptable.

And…shooing stuff on a gorgeous Fall afternoon with colorful trees all around is FUN!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Epilogue: “The Haunting”

As I was shooting off the bench with the rest and sandbag, I kept getting the creeping feeling the techres, the consummate Appleseed instructor was watching me! I felt almost dirty sitting at that nice bench and fancy gear. I could hear techres saying “All you need is a good USGI sling and a proper NPOA.” Then I heard him shout: “Drop and give me 10 good rounds in the prone position!” So, before I packed up the AR, I put the USGI strap around my left bicep and went prone…with these results at 50 yards and the Millett sight at 4x.

11. Prone target at 50 yards.
    255klk6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom