lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Introduction:

A friend dropped off a new Spikes .22 upper on a Rock River Arms lower for me to check out.

The goals for this range work were:
    -- Check the overall function of the rifle.
    -- Determine best ammo type based on precision and reliability
    -- Break-in the rifle in preparation for the owner to shoot in FNS and other competitions
    Best of all, my friend even provided some ammo….what a guy!

Here’s a glamour shot of the rifle:
    ru3atw.jpg

(Photo by Jenn of ‘His Kids’)

The rifle has a 16” Lothar Walther barrel, 1:16 twist; YHM lightweight rail and is outfitted with Troy flip-up iron sights. It has a Magpul ACS stock and a 2-stage trigger (very nice!). Black Dog Machine magazines were used, both the 15 and 30 round varieties. I also ran one of my CMMG conversion magazines with no problems.

Front sight
    fcegi.jpg

Rear sight
    2rqj6z8.jpg

The bolt has an electroless nickel finish and is very similar in design to the Ceiner and CMMG conversion bolt design except the front of the bolt carrier doesn’t have the .223 casing welded on it. This bolt carrier mates to the breech of the dedicated upper. See the close up of the bolt and breech. The electroless finish is claimed to be smoother thus being more reliable and require less lubrication. I’d have to agree with that assessment.

1zx5wya.jpg

2im3z3r.jpg

bhov7.jpg

I gave the rifle a light cleaning before taking it to the range.

Range Time:

Time at the range was spent doing two main activities. One was shooting standard paper plates to determine ammo performance (precision) and the other was just blasting away to work the rifle and check ammo reliability. All rounds were tracked and any stovepipes, failures to feed, or failures of any kind were tracked.

I shot 5 rounds using the large and small rear aperture at 25 yards and quickly determined that the small aperture rear sight gave better results (not a surprise).

34q6a2c.jpg

I adjusted the windage one click to the right.

I installed a Millett DMS-1 sight and zeroed it with the 4 power setting. I used this optic for the rest of the testing.
    2i762k3.jpg

I did the rest of the target shooting off the bench at 50 yards. It looked like this:

t7lxg3.jpg

Here are some of the ammo types I tried.

33m23ic.jpg

Here’s a sample picture of the 15 shot groups I was shooting. Later, I did a simple average of the group size by taking two group widths at right angles to one another. If I shot multiple targets with the same ammo, I averaged the averages. (I’d post the spreadsheet but then I’d be opening myself to comments about being a geek or having OCD tendencies!).
    14jstxe.jpg

I had some stovepipes. Here are two types.

Axial stovepipe.
    34njxqf.jpg

Casing caught between the bolt and carrier.
    oleuf.jpg

I had some double feeds. I also had times when the hammer failed to reset. All errors were tracked and an ‘error rate’ determined for each ammo type.

I cleaned the rifle between range visits. It was moderately dirty around the breech and bolt, but otherwise not bad. The barrel was surprisingly clean.

During the second range trip, I added some other ammo varieties. Here’s a sample of the targets.
    1zzjsx4.jpg

Conclusions:

This rifle was fun to shoot! The two stage trigger was crisp without being too light.

The iron sights are easily accurate beyond the distance that my eyes are accurate. The smaller of the two apertures provides the most accurate results. The sights are very well built and rugged. The Black Dog magazines ran without issue.

The hammer spring was very strong. I believe this contributed to the times the hammer wouldn’t reset. Between range sessions, I moved one leg of the hammer spring from its resting place on the trigger pin and let it rest on the bottom of the lower receiver. This helped considerably.

Ammo Reliability Rankings:
    This is a ranking based on all errors noted (jams, stovepipes, doublefeeds, etc.)

High (zero errors):
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag’ HP
    Winchester ‘333’ bulk
    Winchester ‘Wildcat’
    Winchester ‘Xpert HV’

Medium (1.1 – 1.5% error rate):
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag’
    CCI ‘Blazer’
    Winchester ‘Super-X’
    Federal Value Pack

Low (7.4-8.0% error rate):
    American Eagle
    Federal ‘Champion’

Ammo Precision Rankings:
    This is a ranking based on the group size of targets shot.

High (< 1.2” groups):
    CCI 'Mini-Mag'

Medium (1.6 – 2.2” groups):
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag’ HP
    Winchester 333 Bulk
    Winchester ‘Xpert HV’
    Winchester ‘Super-X’
    American Eagle
    Federal ‘Champion’

Low (2.4 – 3.0” groups):
    CCI ‘Blazer’
    Federal Value Pack

Unacceptable (> 4.0” groups):
    Winchester ‘Wildcat’ *

*I ran a second target because I couldn’t believe how poorly this ammo performed. The second target was almost identical!

Ammo Recommendations for This Rifle:

Use These:
    CCI 'Mini-Mag'
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag’ HP
    Winchester 333 Bulk
    Winchester ‘Xpert HV’
    Winchester ‘Super-X’

Use These If You Can’t Find the Others:
    CCI ‘Blazer’
    American Eagle
    Federal Value Pack
    Federal Champion

Don’t Use This:
    Winchester ‘Wildcat’ *

I noted that with the exception of the Winchester ‘Wildcat’ ammo, the CCI and Winchester ammos performed better in this rifle than those manufactured by Federal.

Final Comments:
    Shooting stuff is fun! Friends who let you shoot their rifles and bring ammo are gems!

Here’s one more glamour shot!
    2vx1zrc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom