• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I recently found myself surfing the web looking for a solution to a problem I've had with Dillon presses for many years. That problem is that there is no easy way to adjust your powder settings quickly and easily.

To make adjustments to the stock powder system you need to turn an unmarked bolt, weigh, turn, weigh, turn, weigh, you get the idea. It's slow, cumbersome and nearly impossible to get the exact same settings if you change powder charges often.

Enter UniqueTek and their micro-adjustable powder measure system for Dillon presses.

dial_2.jpg

This unit is available for $49.95 as a kit or as a complete unit which includes the micro-adjustable meter pre-installed into a Dillon powder bar. If you go this route (which I did), the setup will cost you an additional $26.00 on top of the $49.95, or $75.95 not including shipping. It fits all Dillon presses (Square Deal B, 550, 650 and 1050).

The system replaces the screw but leaves the bar pretty much in tact. The threads on the replacement screw are 40 threads per inch whereas the factory screw is 28 threads per inch. So, the adjustments are much more precise.

dial_1.jpg

The markings on the dial are big and easy to read. If you're used to using a micrometer, then the layout will be familiar to you. The unit appears to be very well made.

Installation of the complete system is a breeze.

1) empty the powder hopper completely
    2) remove the fail safe arm (the metal arm that connects the powder measure to the shell plate system)
    3) remove the powder bar retaining pin (white plastic)

bar_pin.jpg

4) slide the top powder bar out

install_bars_1.jpg

5) remove the bottom powder bar

Once I had the factory powder bar out, I used my micrometer to measure the opening of the pre-set factory bar then adjusted my new bar with the same settings.

measure_settings.jpg

Now you repeat the steps above in reverse order and reassemble the powder measure.

I was able to complete the entire process in about 20 minutes, taking my time and checking the new system out.

Once I had it all back together I ran a few rounds through the 650 and checked the powder settings. Then I ran the dial up a little and down a little, checking the powder difference each time. I can honestly say, this is worth the money.

Next, with your new micro-adjustable powder bar comes with an Excel spreadsheet.

spread_sheet.png

This spread sheet allows you to track how much powder is thrown with each setting. To calibrate the spread sheet you pick three settings and weigh the powder charge. Drop that data into the spread sheet then to select a new powder charge you look at an auto-generated chart on another tab and it shows you exactly where to set your dial for that charge.

If you're not willing to spend the extra $26 for the complete system and want to convert your existing powder bar, I feel confident you could easily accomplish the conversion in a few minutes with hand tools. As I mentioned, I went with the complete system for $76 and feel it was worth every penny.

I highly recommend this system to anyone that changes powder settings in their Dillon press with any frequency. Heck, it might even inspire you to play with new loads since it makes dialing things back to your favorite load a snap.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom