• Status
    Not open for further replies.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    This afternoon I purchased a Guide Series 100 Lumen 6v Xenon flashlight from Gander Mountain to use as a "bump in the night" flashlight. It was $19.95 and came with two Energizer lithium batteries and lanyard.
    my.php

My attempt at a review...

I will compare the Guide Series light to my other home flashlights of similar cost (2AA, 2-D, and 4-D Mag-Lites) but, I won't compare it directly to a Surefire because I don't own one, nor is this light marketed as a "tactical" light like Surefire, although it will serve that purpose if desired. All Mag-Lites used in the comparison have their original Krypton bulbs.

Cost: Guide Series light, $19.95 @ Gander Mountain (Camping section); Mag-Lite, $16 - $20 @ most retailers

Size and weight: The Guide Series light is comparable in size and weight to the 2 AA Mini-Mag, only shorter and a little larger in diameter.

Operation: Like the Surefire lights, the Guide Series light has a rear mounted, temporary contact, push button switch on the battery cap. If the battery cap is tightened all the way down the light remains on constantly.

Materials and workmanship: The Guide Series light is solid aluminum, like the Mag-Lites and most Surefires. It has a nice low gloss black coating and a plastic lens. All the pieces fit together nice and snug and thread smoothly. The barrel is lightly knurled like the 2AA Mag, but neither is as "grippy" as the coarser knurling on larger Mags.

Beam pattern: At short ranges, like those inside the home, the Guide Series light projects a nice clean beam pattern, more consistent than any of my Mag-Lights. However, the Guide Series light's beam is not adjustable, while all Mag-Lites are, which gives them an advantage over the Guide Series light in an outdoor setting, when spotlighting may be required.

Both lights @ ~10-13 ft focused to same beam size

Brightness: The Guide Series light easily overpowers the smaller of my two Mag-Lites, but is comparable to my 4-D Mag at most distances inside the home if the Mag is properly focused.

Down the basement stairs 4-D Mag-Lite

Down the basement stairs Guide Series light

Tree ~90 ft away Guide Series light (Only had one shot, neighbor's dog was barking)

My GF shined both lights at my face from 15 feet away in a darkened room and the Guide Series light and the tightly focused 4-D Mag-Lite had a comparable blinding effect.

Best picture I could get of the blinding effect (Guide Series light on left, focused 4-D Mag on the right)

Battery Life: Guide Series light is rated at 60 Min. Mag-Lites' have a battery life of several hours.

Overall I think the Guide Series 6v Xenon light is a great inexpensive light for use around the home that offers the short range power of a 4-D Mag-Lite in a 2AA sized package. It can be carried easily, or stored anywhere and for a long period of time (lithium batteries), and can serve as a defense light in a pinch. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

:twocents:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom