esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Fenix TK15 vs. Olight M20 R5 Warrior

by esrice

Handheld flashlight technology has never moved faster than it does today. Just a few short years ago a top-of-the-line light would get you an incandescent bulb pumping out 60 lumens at a pricepoint of $100+. My how times have changed.

Lights that are released today seem obsolete tomorrow. But I believe they seem that way in-part because the manufacturers want to make it a numbers game, with lumens being the score keepers. However, in my experience, there isn't much difference in 5 lumens in any direction.

Two popular newcomers to the game (and already on their way to obsolescence :D) are the TK15 by Fenix, and the M20 R5 Warrior by Olight.

The purpose of the following review is to compare and contrast these two lights side-by-side, in an effort to give you, the reader, an idea of of what each is capable of. As my reviews tend to be, it will be largely based on my subjective opinion, and not on the manufacturer's claims or super-secret behind-the-scenes info that I received from an anonymous source on the internet.

The two roles that I used these lights in was of specific task lighting, and as a self-defense tools. During a low-light pistol class put on by Adaptive Consulting and Training, I evaluated the Olight while my Father, lovemywoods, evaluated the Fenix. Other tests involved comparing their "throw" by shining them (at night) at a target 200 yards away, testing their overall durability by putting them in the hands of two curious youngsters, and other various tasks.

During the testing, I considered the following categories:

• Manufacturer's Specs
    • Packaging
    • Aesthetics
    • Durability
    • Brightness (throw)
    • Modes of Operation
    • Strobe
    • Strike bezels
    • Pocket clips / Cigar rings
    • Suitability for EDC
    • Lanyards
    • Belt pouches
    • Price

Manufacturer's Specs

Specs from Fenix said:
    • Utilizes Cree XP-G R5 LED
    • Deep-dish reflector, more powerful focused beam that illuminates farther
    • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
    • Side dimmer button with 4 brightness levels:
      • Low: 5 lumens, 152 hours
      • Medium: 47 lumens, 23 hours
      • High: 143 lumens, 6 hours 25 minutes
      • Turbo: 337 lumens, 1 hour 50 minutes
    • Dimensions:
      • 135mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter) x 34mm (Head)
      • 152-gram weight (excluding batteries)
    • Rapid strobe, momentary-on switch
    • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
    • Intelligent memory circuit memorizes the last mode used
    • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
    • Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
    • Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
    • Uses 2xCR123A or 1x18650 battery (does not use RCR123A lithium-ion)
    • Impact resistant spring design

Specs from Olight said:
    LED Cree XP-G R5, life span up to 50000 hours, Max Output 320Lm
    Weight: 120.5g without batteries
    Dimensions: Overall length 140mm, Body Dia: 25mm, Bezel Dia: 33.5mm.
    Functions: Three brightness levels plus strobe, 9lm (150hrs)-110lm (12hrs)- 320lm(4hrs),
    to select modes loosen then retighten head.
    Battery: Uses 2x CR123A 3.0v Lithium cells (Non Rechargeable) or Rechargeable Li-ion 3.7v cells either 2x RCR123A/16340, 1x 3.7v Li-ion18650 or 1x 17670.

• World-class super bright Cree XP-G R5 LED.
    • Three output levels and strobe, simple interface to adjust output,
      loosen head then retighten to select modes.
    • Automatic memory function, remember last used setting and can be
      preset to specific output mode for instant access.
    • Multiple battery choices, uses both Li-ion Rechargeable & Non Rechargeable
      Lithium Batteries to provides the ultimate power to weight ratio and reliability.
    • Ultra Efficient Advanced Digital Power Management System for a smooth and
      even brightness over the duration of battery life.
    • Reverse polarity protection circuit to protect electronics against damage
      caused by battery being installed incorrectly.
    • Tactical switch with momentary-on function, strike shroud and lock-out function to
      prevent accidental activation, protruding tailcap button for easy operation.
    • Superior heat sink quick dispersion of heat to protect LED and electrical
      components and ensure long life.
    • Ergonomic design, solid aluminium construction .
    • Tough durable Type III Hard Anodization
    • Available in three colours choices either Black, Olive Green or Gunmetal Grey.
    • Built to meet Mil-spec: MIL-STD-810F.
    • O-Ring sealed to provide excellent water resistance and long service life.
    • Grip ring with anti-rolling design, enabling use with the different tactical holds,
      removable to convert to smoother straight body.
    • Stainless steel strike bezel (Removable).
    • Stainless steel pocket clip (Removable).
    • Ultra Clear Glass lens, non scratch with Anti-Reflective Coating.
    • Heavy duty quick release lanyard to prevent loss and easy access.
    • Interchangeable reflectors.
    • Full Textured (orange peel) Reflector provides a perfectly centred flawless beam
      reaching distances not seen in other LED lights.
    • Optional Smooth Reflector used to gain even greater distance for further targets,
      ideal when used as weapon light.
    • Battery magazine use with CR123A batteries, hold batteries firmly to provide excellent
      continuity and battery life under heavy shock or recoil.

Advantage: None -- On paper, these two lights are VERY similar, from their overall lumen output to their physical size.

Packaging

The Fenix packaging was nice, but not overly impressive. It looked like what I would expect if I was buying it off the shelf at the local sporting goods store. Inside the box I found the light, a user manual, warranty card, nylon belt pouch, and small lanyard.

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

The Olight packaging seemed to take it up a notch in terms of overall quality. The box was foam-lined, and inside I found the light, an operator's manual, nylon belt pouch, large lanyard, removable strike bezel, extra silicone o-rings, an extra rubber tailcap, and a replacement ring for deleting the cigar ring.

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

Advantage: Olight -- The extra rings and tailcap are a huge plus, especially considering that the stock tailcap didn't pass the "terrible 2s torture test", and fell victim to some tiny teeth (as seen in pics).

Aesthetics

Although these two lights look very similar, small differences set them apart.

Personally, I find the silver pocket clip on the Fenix to be garish. I think the same of the silver strike bezel on the Olight, but at least that is removable. I'm not sure if Fenix offers a black clip that can be purchased separately, but I would opt for one. The Olight's logo and markings aren't as nice as the Fenix markings. The grip surfaces are different, but offer similar performance.

You be the judge:

DSC01893.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

Advantage: Olight -- A standard subdued pocket clip makes the difference here.

Durability

The Fenix held up very well through all of my testing. Although I can hear and feel a slight "wiggle" in the battery compartment if I shake the light, it never became an issue or caused any problems. When lovemywoods used it in the low-light class in conjunction with his pistol, he only made one small wear spot.

DSC01883.jpg

The Olight is a very solid-feeling light. It has a neat feature called a "battery magazine" that holds the two CR123 batteries together. An added benefit of the magazine is that it eliminates any and all play inside the battery compartment. However, it's finish suffered much more with my use in the low-light class. Although you will notice the torn tailcap in the pictures, I can't fault the light, as hungry 2-year-olds aren't within its normal operating parameters.

DSC01872.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

Advantage: Fenix -- Having only a small nick after all the testing speaks volumes to the durability of the finish.

Brightness (throw)

With the Fenix rated at 337 lumens and the Olight at 320, I expected no difference in brightness. I was right. Side-by-side on their highest settings, I can't tell any difference. During the "throw" testing, they both illuminated a target 200 yards away enough to see that something was there, but not enough to discern much detail-- ie you would be able to see a person in a red hat, but you would not be able to tell if they had a mustache or glasses.

Capturing and comparing brightness with a camera is tough, but you can decide if you see any differences below.

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

DSC01896.jpg

Advantage: None -- Output, beam pattern, and throw all seemed the same.

Modes of Operation

Each light has very different switchology, although they both utilize clicky tailcaps.

The Olight tailcap can be pushed slightly for momentary, or clicked for constant on. It has low-medium-high brighness settings, plus strobe. You scroll through the modes by simply twisting the head 1/8 turn and back again. Whatever mode you leave it in is the mode that will come on when you push or click the tailcap. This gives you the ability to not only change your output depending on the task at hand, but also set the light to your preferred setting for self-defense, whether it be high or strobe. Scrolling through the modes is easily accomplished in complete darkness, with gloves on, and there is minimal chance of accidentally changing your setting. It does, however, require the use of 2 hands.

The Fenix tailcap can also be pushed slightly for momentary, or clicked for constant on. The momentary push was pretty sensitive at first, but it got better with use. It is also a true momentary push, unlike some Fenix lights that require you to fully click the tailcap before the light comes on. It has low-medium-high-turbo brightness settings, plus strobe. You scroll through the modes by pushing a small silver button on the light body. To activate the strobe, you must push and hold the silver button for one second while the light is already on, thereby making it virtually useless in a self-defense scenario. I also found that I had trouble physically finding the button in the dark, which is typically the environment one is in when using a flashlight, which I find silly. Having on gloves makes it even trickier. At least it can be done single-handedly. Although I first wondered if it would be prone to accidental mode changes when used in conjunction with a pistol, lovemywoods reported no such issue when he used it in class.

DSC01882.jpg

Advantage: Olight -- Better feeling tailcap and more user-friendly switchology.

Strobe

The Olight has a "normal" rapid strobe pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpU7DqZtNE

The Fenix, however, has an alternating pattern of slow, then fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzDndlxUp0

Advantage: Olight -- I prefer a rapid pattern to one that slows down and alternates.

Strike Bezels

Both lights came with crenelated strike bezels, aka "stabby bits". I personally find that they create more hassle than any perceived advantage when used as a striking tool. They tend to catch on and tear up pockets, and they may raise red flags in certain non-permissive environments. One practical benefit is that they do offer some level of lens protection should you set the light face-down while turned on, giving the heat a place to escape.

Olight was smart enough to make theirs removable, so the end-user can decide if and when he wants the added 'umph' of a strike bezel. I do wish, however, that it wasn't bright shiny stainless.

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

Fenix built their strike bezel into the light body, but at least it matches the rest of the light.

DSC01879.jpg

Advantage: Olight -- Having the versatility to make this light completely benign in all environments is a big plus.

Pocket clips / Cigar rings

The Fenix and Olight both have cigar rings and removable pocket clips.

As stated above, I wish the Fenix pocket clip matched the body. Of the two, I found this one to be less sturdy, although it held up just find in my testing. The cigar ring, however, is NOT removable. Well, you CAN remove it, but doing so leaves a big open gap, and it renders the pocket clip useless, as it no longer has the ability to lock into place.

The Olight's designers actually put some thought into this part of the light. If you don't want the cigar ring (and I didn't), you simply unscrew it, and screw on a smooth-sided ring in its place, which is provided. This keeps the pocket clip nice and tight. The pocket clip is very strong and sturdy.

Advantage: Olight -- Someone was paying attention to this detail.

Suitability for EDC

Although they both have pocket clips, I didn't find either one particularly great for every day carry (EDC). This is simply due to their size. If I were a larger guy with larger pockets, maybe. I envision these lights more in packs, BOBs, toolboxes, glove boxes, kitchen drawers, or any place where you can readily access them before setting out on your task.

Advantage: Neither

Lanyards

Each light came with a very different lanyard.

The Fenix came with a small lanyard that is just big enough to fit over one hand or wrist. It can attach to either the cigar ring or tailcap. lovemywoods used the lanyard in class and said it worked just fine, as he was able to manipulate his weapon without dropping the light. Its small size made reacquiring the light in the hand very quick, as he didn't have to go searching for it.

DSC01877.jpg

The Olight came with a much higher quality lanyard, but it was waaaaay to long to be used effectively in conjunction with a pistol. I suppose it would be helpful for retrieving the light out of the bottom of a bag, or identifying it if dropped in the great outdoors.

DSC01871.jpg

If one were inclined to purchase a second "battery magazine" as a backup, there is a small hole for clipping the lanyard to it.

DSC01874.jpg

Advantage: Fenix -- For my own purposes, this lanyard was much more useful.

Belt pouches

I don't personally like to carry a light in a belt pouch, but these both came with one.

The Fenix pouch is a joke. The nylon is super thin, and the light doesn't even fit into it. My theory is that the pouch was designed for another smaller light, but they decided to toss it in with the TK15, rather than make a new, larger one. It does get points for having versatile mounting options though, as it can go on a belt, through web gear, or simply hook onto a bag.

DSC01877.jpg

The Olight pouch is very well made with higher quality nylon, but still just as useless to me. It has holes at the top and bottom, so the light can be seated bezel up or down. On the sides are two elastic slots for holding extra "battery magazines". Its mounting options are just as versatile as the Fenix.

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

Advantage: Olight -- It actually fits, and is better thought out.

Price

At BatteryJunction.com the Fenix TK15 currently sells for $79.95, and the Olight M20 R5 Warrior currently sells for $94.95.

Advantage: Fenix -- It's less expensive.

Summary

If you could combine the positive features of both lights into one it would be the perfect light for camping, hiking, search and rescue, and everyday chores.

However, if I were choosing which one to take on a trip with me, overall I'd have to give the nod to the Olight M20 R5 Warrior. :yesway:

That being said, it is up to the individual reader to decide what light would fit their unique circumstances best. I hope that this review and comparison has given you enough information to make that decision.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom