• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Testing Day 1: Dry Cycling - After removing the firing pin from my bolt (to avoid ANY possibility of slam fires), I loaded the magazine to full capacity. I cycled the rounds by hand, by pulling the charge handle back and letting it go home under it's own weight. I did 25 iterations. Each iteration consisted of dry cycling 10 rounds through the weapon.

I decided on 25 iterations simply because on an average outing I might fire 250-300 rounds on average through my SKS.

First impression: The Magazine seems to be of a nice quality. The material is strong, and of a good quality. Fit and Finish are of a good quality. The magazine looks nice and feels nice. The magazine has a good weight to it, and does not feel cheap.

The follower seems to ride and function nice and level. With hand manipulation, the follower did not nose down.

The magazine loads easily, is easily inserted into the weapon, locks in tight with an audible click. There is minimal side to side wobble. The magazine drops free easily upon pulling mag release.

The magazine disassembles easily and is easily cleaned.

Weapon Used
    Yugo M59/66 Shorty

Ammo Type
    Wolf Military Classic 124gr. FMJ

Dry cycling results 25 iterations 10rds ea.
    it. 1: 2 FTF, rounds #1 and #2; stub feeds
    it. 2: 1 FTF, first round; stub feed
    it. 3: clean
    it. 4: clean
    it. 5: clean
    it. 6: clean
    it. 7: 2 FTF, rounds #1 and #2; stub feeds
    it. 8: 2 2 FTF, rounds #1 and #2; stub feeds
    it. 9: 1 FTF, round #5; follower stuck
    it. 10: clean
    it. 11: clean
    it. 12: clean
    it. 13: clean
    it. 14: clean
    it. 15: clean
    it. 16: clean
    it. 17: clean
    it. 18: clean
    it. 19: clean
    it. 20: 1 FTF, round #6; follower stuck
    it. 21: clean
    it. 22: clean
    it. 23: clean
    it. 24: clean
    it. 25: clean

Conclusion: Magazine feeds for the most part. The stub feeds were easily corrected within 5 seconds, often just by pulling the charge handle back once more and allowing it to go home. The follower sticking issues were also easily corrected, holding the carrier back, I applied quick, finger pressure to the rounds, and upon release, the follower would become free to move.

Next on the schedule will be live fire testing. I plan on following the same firing schedule as the dry run. 25 iterations of 10 rounds each. Results will be posted upon conclusion.

362b66d0.jpg

Live Fire Test Plan
    Load the magazine to capacity, load into the weapon, fire each round at roughly a 2 second interval. Shoot 5 iterations, allow weapon to cool. Field strip and clean at Iteration #10 and #20

Weapon Used
    Yugo M59/66 Shorty

Ammo Type
    Wolf Military Classic 124gr. FMJ

Live Fire Results 25 iterations, 10rds ea.
    It. 1: clean
    It. 2: clean
    It. 3: FTF: first round stub feed
    It. 4: clean
    It. 5: clean
    Cooling Cycle
    It. 6: clean
    It. 7: FTF: round 8, follower stuck
    It. 8: clean
    It. 9: clean
    It. 10: clean
    Cleaning Cycle
    It. 11: clean
    It. 12: clean
    It. 13: clean
    It. 14: FTF: first and second round stub feed
    It. 15: clean
    Cooling Cycle
    It. 16: clean
    It. 17: clean
    It. 18: clean
    It. 19: clean
    It. 20: clean
    Cleaning Cycle
    It. 21: clean
    It. 22: clean
    It. 23: FTF: round 6, follower stuck
    It. 24: clean
    It. 25: clean

Total Round count successfully fired: 247

My :twocents: : this is a viable option for a detachable magazine that will not consume ammo faster than using the factory box mag in conjuction with stripper clips.

The John Masen magazine is not as bulky as the Tapco 20's. It keeps the magazine detachable and the loaded weapon's weight down. I still prefer the Tapco 20's just due to their higher capacity, but if you want the look, feel, and performance of a detachable mag for your SKS, the John Masen 10 round Magazine performed well for me. The stub feeds and follower issues were few and far between and easily user correctable. I would easily give this magazine a :yesway:.

I did not test multiple rifles for compatability. I only tested one magazine sample. In a perfect world, I would have bought more than 1 magazine and tested them all amongst different rifles, but I didn't want to buy more than one magazine before performing any sort of reliability testing. I may buy a couple more mags and try the same test.

If anyone else has any experience with this magazine, please share your opinions and results.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom