• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So after coming across the LCW duracoat shake N spray kit I decided to give it a try. I would have prefered to have bought one in magpul foliage, but the guy on ebay only had magpul dark earth so I figured I'd give that a try. The instructions were simple enough and after watching this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co70MNG6JiU"][/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co70MNG6JiU[/ame]

I decided it couldn't be that hard. All things considered I thought the process was pretty simple. I gave the guns a very good cleaning after breaking them down. The part where it got weird for me was when I had to take the scratch pad and rough up my guns surface. It's not natural for me to scuff up a nicely blued ruger mark III target or anything else for that matter, but I got through it.

Well here we are, finally I have pictures to post.

The test subjects are:

Ruger 10-22
    Ruger Mark III blued target
    30rd C-Products AR-15 magazine
    20rd AR-15 magazine

**To be completely honest the AR magazines were a last minute idea and I just threw them into the mix because I have a "few" more than I might actually need. :Greenie:

Here they are stripped and prepped:

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

First coat:

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

While waiting for the paint to dry I thought I had more durcoat left than I actually did so I threw a laundry bag over a gun and knife that I had previously had duracoated professionally.

Marlin Papoose (originally duracoated in magpul foliage)
    Schade Survival (originally duracoated in some other green color)

Here are some pictures:

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

DSC00472.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

About the time I got done trying to put a little pattern on the guns above I realized I was getting a lot lower on the paint than I thought I was.

Here is the final coat picture:

DSC00469.jpg

In summary, I can't really comment on it's durability yet, but I can talk about the ease of using the kit. The kit was well worth it and it was apparent right from the start. You take out the spray degreaser and hose everything down after a good cleaning. Then you scratch everything up with the little pad they include. Take the duracoat and shake the heck out of it for a couple of minutes before pouring it into the spray bottle. Then add the hardener into the spray bottle and shake the heck out of it again. Then spray. It really was that easy and it's nice to not worry about measuring anything or cleaning up an air brush, or regulating an air compressor. I cleaned and took apart the guns last night and I did the scuffing and spraying after putting my baby down for a nap. I rushed through just about every step on this project, but overall I couldn't be happier with how it turned out so far. I'll probably wait until very late tonight or tomorrrow morning before I try to reassemble the guns. I'll take more pictures then.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom